Lonestar Grillz 24x 48

GT500

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Dan
Hi everyone, I have a Lonestar Grillz 24x 48 on order. The current build time for the grill is 4 months. This will be my first stick burner.

I am posting my build specifications and asking for any input on the build form those more experienced them I am.

Anything I am missing ? Anything you think is unnecessary and that I should delete ?

Anyone who has used this grill have any tips / tricks or advice ?

This is my 1 and done grill. Not gonna buy another !!

Thanks for any guidance !

Build specs:

24-x-48-offset-smoker-single-door-1-opt_620x.jpg

Grill https://lonestargrillz.com/products/24-x-48-offset-smoker

• 24 x 48 offset pipe smoker
  • Single door with counterweight
  • 1/2 inch fire box upgrade .
  • 8 in wheel upgrade.
  • Folding front table, 12 inch wide stainless
  • Two tel-tru temp gauges
  • Pull handle
  • Main chamber charcoal plate
  • Ash pan
  • Gas log assist
  • Utensil rack, poker and rake
  • Drain valve
  • Cover

A probe port is handy and the fire management basket is definitely worth the money.
Congrats on your new purchase, you are going to love it!

I've got a 20x42 so pretty similar. Here's my experiences, you of course may have different preferences.

24 x 48 offset pipe smoker - excellent choice
Single door with counterweight - very helpful to save the back
1/2 inch fire box upgrade . - Edit. Not sure how much value this adds. After 2 years the inside of my box still looks like new and I only clean it every 3-4 cooks.
8 in wheel upgrade. - nice to have
Folding front table, 12 inch wide stainless - very nice, you will love
Two tel-tru temp gauges - nice
Pull handle - nice
Main chamber charcoal plate - no experience, wonder if you'll use
Ash pan - I've heard they are very heavy, it's super easy to clean out w/o
Gas log assist - SO DAM NICE. Dead easy to start
Utensil rack, poker and rake - all I use is a $10 poker off amazon.
Drain valve - must have
Cover - super high quality, keeps it perfect

You need a probe port. Get one placed in middle on the side. There is a gap to the grates so it will work for top and lower grate.

You are going to want the fire management basket. It makes like so much simpler.

I'm excited for you. You have a great offset speced out!

Last edited:
Forget the ash pan.... way too heavy as you get older and one can easily be made from a full size baking sheet trimmed down. See sig line for details.

I'd pass on the stainless shelf too.... it's a real PITA if the sun hits it and to keep it looking pristine requires a bit of work. I've had several in the past and ended up covering with kraft paper to ease clean up and stop that reflection. My LSG uses the standard shelf just fine.

Utensil rack and accessories are another area I'd pass on. A cheap pair of meat tongs will do more than the poker would and an old paint brush is perfect for sweeping ash. Not sure how the utensils hang with the folding shelf..... (edit... looked it up and I see now)

Finally... I'd probable pass on the cover as well. They tend to breed rust and mold over time depending on where it's stored.

So, you might consider upgrading to an insulated firebox with all the money you just saved. Not because you need it for Florida but it will keep your paint job pristine and lower the likelihood of major burns.

Good luck and be patient.... it's well worth the wait.

Edit.... Ran some loose numbers - looks like you might be able to trim off more than a grand $$$:thumb:

Last edited:
Forget the ash pan.... way too heavy as you get older and one can easily be made from a full size baking sheet trimmed down. See sig line for details.

I'd pass on the stainless shelf too.... it's a real PITA if the sun hits it and to keep it looking pristine requires a bit of work. I've had several in the past and ended up covering with kraft paper to ease clean up and stop that reflection. My LSG uses the standard shelf just fine.

Utensil rack and accessories are another area I'd pass on. A cheap pair of meat tongs will do more than the poker would and an old paint brush is perfect for sweeping ash. Not sure how the utensils hang with the folding shelf..... (edit... looked it up and I see now)

Finally... I'd probable pass on the cover as well. They tend to breed rust and mold over time depending on where it's stored.

So, you might consider upgrading to an insulated firebox with all the money you just saved. Not because you need it for Florida but it will keep your paint job pristine and lower the likelihood of major burns.

Good luck and be patient.... it's well worth the wait.

Edit.... Ran some loose numbers - looks like you might be able to trim off more than a grand $$$:thumb:

Oh man this propane cylinder mount is awesome. I need to get this !

n0xKNt.jpg

A couple of thoughts from my non-expert perspective:

24x48 offset: That's a nice size, but when I recently ordered my custom smoker from another builder, I opted for 24x60 as the price difference was relatively minor, and there will be times I will appreciate that additional cooking space. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "I wish I had a smaller cook chamber!"

Gas assist: I picked up a sweet weed burner torch at Amazon (link below), and this thing works great for starting fires. It's very well built, $50, and rated at 340,000 Btu/hr. I can start a fire using this torch with splits in my cheap offset smoker in about a minute or less. I like that it's mobile and not attached to my smoker so I can use it anywhere around the property where I need some serious fire starting power.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YSN340K-Propane-Ignitor/dp/B098891JNP/

I just recieved my lsg 24x48 last friday and I wish I had bigger casters. At 1451 pounds it is a bear to move on concrete with the 5 inch wheels.

I have a 24X36 for 1.5 years. Wish I Would have gotten the 24X48.

-I like the looks of the single door and the long racks
-the 8" wheels are needed
-never fold my table down, but it works good
-I have the main chamber charcoal grate, works great only used twice
-I like their ash rake
-I start fire with charcoal or fire starter, I would not use propane assist
-1/2 firebox works great in winter I live in Nebraska, hard to keep temps down
on 80+degree days I would go with 1/4 if doing again
-Your pic does not show lid on fire box, I like mine
-Need a probe port, maybe one on each end
-do not have a cover or wish I did

Last edited:
Thanks, I am getting the fire box grilling plate top with the griddle but I will call LSG to make sure. I thought it just came that way / was included. I live in FL so good point on the fire box. I will ask if I should go with 1/4 inch over the 1/2 inch fire box.

Back