Which premium brand(s) should I consider next to Lone Star Grillz?

karlglen101

Found some matches.
Well guys, I've been saving to buy-once, cry-once. I'm an experienced bbq brother. I cook outdoors at least 4 days a week year round in Michigan. I'm currently using a PK grill, which I really like for some things, but I really miss my big ole' Kingsford charcoal box grill (20"x30").
I really like the looks (read features) and reviews of Lone Star Grillz. I'm probably most interested in their two zone charcoal grill, or this offset:
https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers/products/20-x-42-offset-smoker

That said, what other brands are in this range that I should be considering? I'm going to use this as a direct cook charcoal grill as well as offset. I like the off-road tire package as I move my grill through our yard, over grass. I like the sear plate and grill over the firebox for when I want to cook something else while smoking.
Who else is a front-runner in this category? Thanks!

I like my Workhorse pits 1975t, but you could get it in a off-road package as well. They are a little closer to you so shipping or pickup may be easier than TX. Don't see why you couldn't use the whole chamber for charcoal cooking, but the firebox is bigger than any grill I ever had at 24"x26".

I was in a similar place recently, and finally settled on the Workhorse Pits 1969 with cowboy firebox.

There will always be trade-offs at any price point. Workhorse and LSG both make great products. You’ll just have to rank your priorities and see which company makes a unit that lines up best.

I've got a LSG 24x30 vertical offset and love it. She'll turn 9 years old this October and holding up great uncovered, rain or shine. Only had to repaint the firebox a few years back but that's given.

Having said that, the pit is massive and I found out that it's just not practical to do one brisket or some ribs on it. It's farkin amazing on big cooks though. So, having said that go big or go home (was part of that congregation) isn't always the answer. Seems like the LSG you mentioned will suffice for you needs. If I were to buy today it'll probably be a Workhorse or......

the PCC backyard 24x48. They don't get mentioned as much anymore due the the massive amount of new fabricators nowadays but this cooker has a special place in my heart. Basically I chose the LSG 24x30 V/O over the PCC 24x48 which again I'm not regretting but the PCC would've gotten much more use. My $0.02

I think they're still in business. Their site and everything is running.

http://www.peoriacookers.com/custom-cookers/backyard-cooker.html

I was in a similar place recently, and finally settled on the Workhorse Pits 1969 with cowboy firebox.

There will always be trade-offs at any price point. Workhorse and LSG both make great products. You’ll just have to rank your priorities and see which company makes a unit that lines up best.

Thanks! This is part of the process. I do recall looking at Workhorse a long time ago. I'll give them another look. This step in the process is just figuring out who else is out there that I should be considering. Thanks for the info!

I’m a Shirley Fab owner but, if I were choosing between Workhorse or the two mentioned in Tx, a Workhorse 1975 with the Cowboy grill option on the firebox would get my $$$.

Almost went that route before I bought a Shirley 24x36 in 2020. My current Shirley was built for me by Paul S earlier this year.

I’m a Shirley Fab owner but, if I were choosing between Workhorse or the two mentioned in Tx, a Workhorse 1975 with the Cowboy grill option on the firebox would get my $$$.

Almost went that route before I bought a Shirley 24x36 in 2020. My current Shirley was built for me by Paul S earlier this year.

Thanks. Shirley doesn't look like they've updated much on their site in quite a while. I can't get to pics / listings of their offerings. Their FB page looks like they haven't put much up since 2020 either.

I like the WH offerings, too. As much as I'd like the 1975, I think the 1969 is probably realistic for what I'd go with. In contrast to the LSG, I like that the WH offers 3/8" steel. That's some heft! I like that the stack collapses, which is nice for storage in my shed. Most of my cooking would take place next to the shed, and I'd prefer to store it there covered when not in use.

One thing about the WH that I'm not sure about, is the Cowboy box. I really like the firebox options on the LSG with the adjustable tray / rack heights. If I could marry the LSG firebox to the WH smoker - I think I'd have the clear winner.

No, the Shirley site isn’t kept up…….they keep mentioning that being needed, but they have a long enough wait time already that they don’t really need it. The smallest cooker they offer is the 24x36 reverse flow which has a current base price of about $2,800.

I see that you plan to move the cooler in and out of a shed to use. Unless you will be on a solid surface, like concrete, all the time I would look for the biggest wheels available. These pits get heavy real quick as material thickness and size increases. My 24x36 was about 800#, my new one, also a patio model, is larger and weighs almost 1600#. It has 16” diameter boat wheels and it doesn’t move far.

Casters may work on solid surfaces, but if you don’t have that, I would look for something with pneumatic wheel/tire options.

Good luck with your search.

No, the Shirley site isn’t kept up…….they keep mentioning that being needed, but they have a long enough wait time already that they don’t really need it. The smallest cooker they offer is the 24x36 reverse flow which has a current base price of about $2,800.

I see that you plan to move the cooler in and out of a shed to use. Unless you will be on a solid surface, like concrete, all the time I would look for the biggest wheels available. These pits get heavy real quick as material thickness and size increases. My 24x36 was about 800#, my new one, also a patio model, is larger and weighs almost 1600#. It has 16” diameter boat wheels and it doesn’t move far.

Casters may work on solid surfaces, but if you don’t have that, I would look for something with pneumatic wheel/tire options.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks. Where would you say is the best place for me to get a good look at the Shirley's online? I couldn't really find pics on their site.
Yes, my shed is on a slab that sits right behind my garage. That said, I have a patio about 20' away that I will move the grill to over grass from time to time which is why I want the large wheel package.

If you go to YouTube and search for "Shirley Fabrication" the channel will come up and you can see videos of Cookers that they've made. Mine is there too if you look around. You won't get any prices.....other than the list price for the 24x36 because everything else is done on a custom basis. Having dealt with both Tyler for my first Shirley and Paul for my second, I can tell you that, in my opinion, "for custom work", the prices are fair and they won't treat you wrong.

They also rely on a local shipper, Kevin White, to deliver all their cookers and he offers door to door delivery. He will batch cookers together to make a run feasible for everyone.

On Facebook, you can find "Fans of Shirley Fabrication" where a lot of photos are posted, but the YouTube videos will really show what you want to see too.

Back