Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I don't think you can check it if you leave your house if you just connect from your phone. That would be the only feature you lose is being able to check it away from your house.

I think I am on week 6 since I ordered...doing well with the anticipation factor so far...still cant wait though.

I just ordered a cover for my Mini from Covers By Mel. Really nice lady that has a big following. She now has a pattern for the Lone Star Mini insulated cabinet.

What material is it made out of? I'm not convinced my vinyl covers are really doing such a great job.

What material is it made out of? I'm not convinced my vinyl covers are really doing such a great job.

She uses automotive grade vinyl. She has testimonials from folks that have had theirs for 8 years and going strong in the Texas sun. One guy in Ontario Canada has had his for 15 years. She makes covers for Stumps and "Stump don'sell no junk". I'm willing to give it a try at 1/5 the price of the other guys.

To answer/reply on 2 different subjects:

CyberQ - yes, you can hook it up directly to your phone if your phone supports connecting to it in Adhoc mode. The documentation on this is pretty straight forward from BBQ Guru. Some phones will not support it. Hooking it up to your wifi is not rocket science but some will have issues selecting the right authentication based on how your home wifi is set up. I work in IT and it took me a little time to figure it all out but now I could hook another one up in minutes. I also configured IP forwarding so I can check it when I leave my house.

Covers by Mel - I just ordered 2 from her. One for my large insulated smoker and another one for a custom smoker I built out of an old fridge. Both fit perfect. Cost me $100 for the Lonestar cover (that included shipping). Mine fits perfect around the exhaust. You can also keep the ball values on the side on. I also ordered a second handle (have them on both sides) and it fits over that perfect. If interested tell her a Mark Schwartz recently ordered one from San Diego and she should be able to pull it up. I gave her information from a different user on this site to guide her in the right direction for mine. For the price, I don't think you can beat it.

To answer/reply on 2 different subjects:

CyberQ - yes, you can hook it up directly to your phone if your phone supports connecting to it in Adhoc mode. The documentation on this is pretty straight forward from BBQ Guru. Some phones will not support it. Hooking it up to your wifi is not rocket science but some will have issues selecting the right authentication based on how your home wifi is set up. I work in IT and it took me a little time to figure it all out but now I could hook another one up in minutes. I also configured IP forwarding so I can check it when I leave my house.

Covers by Mel - I just ordered 2 from her. One for my large insulated smoker and another one for a custom smoker I built out of an old fridge. Both fit perfect. Cost me $100 for the Lonestar cover (that included shipping). Mine fits perfect around the exhaust. You can also keep the ball values on the side on. I also ordered a second handle (have them on both sides) and it fits over that perfect. If interested tell her a Mark Schwartz recently ordered one from San Diego and she should be able to pull it up. I gave her information from a different user on this site to guide her in the right direction for mine. For the price, I don't think you can beat it.

Thanks. It was very easy to set up on an Iphone even for a tech idiot like myself. I just followed the directions.

Yeah, I had no issues setting the Guru up in adhoc mode to my iPhone. I did notice the phone dropping the wifi connection to the Guru when I locked the phone and going back to my home wifi.

I am computer literate, and did have issues with setting up the port forwarding to be able to see the temps over the Internet. A gentleman from the forum has PM'd me and offered to help, but I haven't had the time to do it yet.

What's everyone preferred way to do ribs on their vertical? Back in the day with my Weber bullet I would use water in the bowl but wasn't sure what people do on the Lonestar. I know there will be all different thoughts but wanted to gets some feedback. What temp and with or without water?

275 with no water and 60/40 charcoal to apple chunks. STL spares take 3 to 3-1/2 hours and loin backs about 2-1/2 hours. I use Dominator rub glued on with either Texas Pete or Canola oil. Rubbed while the pit is heating up. No foil nor any sauce.

Naked fatties take about 2 hours. :heh:

Last edited:
So, I've been lurking here for a while and taking it all in. I've been going back and forth between on of these and a Backwoods Smoker and I THINK I've decided to go with Lone Star. The thing is huge though and I really want to start competing next summer. Anyone transporting one of these that doesn't have it mounted on a trailer?

So, I've been lurking here for a while and taking it all in. I've been going back and forth between on of these and a Backwoods Smoker and I THINK I've decided to go with Lone Star. The thing is huge though and I really want to start competing next summer. Anyone transporting one of these that doesn't have it mounted on a trailer?

I use a winch mounted inside my enclosed trailer to pull my Large LSG inside the trailer to travel to comps. If you are going to use a winch, ask Chris to weld on a tow ring prior to paint.

I'd also suggest getting the larger, no flat rubber wheels:

http://www.marathonind.com/10-Swivel-Caster-with-Flat-Free-Tire-P166C23.aspx
http://www.marathonind.com/10-Rigid-Caster-with-Flat-Free-Tire-P167C23.aspx

Much easier to roll around then the steel casters. And they look cool...

1B88C39F-AF9E-44CC-AFA6-F175503DE9D9_zpsmktaksmh.jpg

I will say I got all swivel wheels and there are no brakes on them. Doesn't look like the non-swivels have brakes either. Might need some chalks...

I'd also suggest getting the larger, no flat rubber wheels:

http://www.marathonind.com/10-Swivel-Caster-with-Flat-Free-Tire-P166C23.aspx
http://www.marathonind.com/10-Rigid-Caster-with-Flat-Free-Tire-P167C23.aspx

Much easier to roll around then the steel casters. And they look cool...

1B88C39F-AF9E-44CC-AFA6-F175503DE9D9_zpsmktaksmh.jpg

I will say I got all swivel wheels and there are no brakes on them. Doesn't look like the non-swivels have brakes either. Might need some chalks...

Yep. Chris put 10 inch wheels on mine.

I would definitely go with the Lonestar. Have you compared the Backwoods to the Lonestar in person? They aren't even in the same universe on build materials.

I am not talking about smoking ability, just the build materials.

Lonestar is a fully welded tank, weighs 800lbs. Backwoods probably weighs half of that. Look at them both in person, it's a no-contest.

Yeah, they are very different and the weight was actually my concern. I'm going to have to rent something (at least in the short term) to transport the Lonestar and I was just wondering what the logistics of that would be and if anyone else is doing it.

I'm 99% sold on the Lonestar though.

We take our LSG to several comps a year. I made 2x10 ramps to push it up into a trailer. It takes 2 or 3 of us to load it.

Yeah, they are very different and the weight was actually my concern. I'm going to have to rent something (at least in the short term) to transport the Lonestar and I was just wondering what the logistics of that would be and if anyone else is doing it.

I'm 99% sold on the Lonestar though.

Just picked my mini up from the freight company yesterday. Rented a u haul 12 X 6 foot trailer with double axles and a ramp for 35 dollars (24 hour rental) and it worked very well.

One thing I learned last week: you can't easily rearrange the casters since the mounting plates are rectangular, not square. We want to have the spinners on the front, that way we can push it onto a small trailer, and not take off at competitions. Keep that in mind when ordering.

Back