Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Deciding if I should keep this thread going or start a new one lol. I received my large comp off-road IVS not quite 2 months ago now, and have only done two cooks, one for the seasoning with a cook at the end, and one dedicated cook. I sold everything and bought a 1975t and then while that was being built I ordered this smoker to replace all of the kamado, gasser, pellet, fire-pit, and small Brinkmann offset I had.

It's been a learning curve on both. The best food I've made came off a thin walled, holes throughout 35+ year old 16"x32" Brinkmann that's been sitting out by my dads shed for 30+ years that I scrubbed off and seasoned up. I feel like I got a deeper smoke flavor on the Brinkmann than WH at first, maybe because I was constantly fighting the fire every 5-15 mins on the Brink and had clean then not so clean smoke the entire cook, which I think lead to a good flavor due to the mix of mostly clean and super clean smoke. Now with the 1975t, this thing drafts so good and burns so clean I can't make it smoke the least bit white even when I try! Been playing with the intake and exhaust settings, and adjusting split sizes for heat and then adding small splits sideways to try and recreate some of that uneven but still clean burn like the Brink. Came close this weekend on chicken, so next steps are to try and get the IVS to match this flavor of the Brink that I liked the most. Since I live in FL and it's already in the 90s for a few weeks now, and my yard is full sun 9am to 30mins before dark, it's not as enjoyable for long cooks on the offset as it is in winter when I use the pit as a heater too.

On to the reason for this post; the IVS is another story. Been reading this thread and have some things to try, but going to post to track my experience and get some possible help or help others after you all help me learn.

I'll start by saying I love the space on my large IVS compared to my offsets and other kamado's I've had over the years. I started by cooking on open fire's since I was a kid, and just got use (and had fun) to spending hours playing with the fire and cooking multiple loads over an adjustable wire grate I had. But now with kids and both me and my wife working 60+ hours a week, I just want to relax but still have good smoked meats.

I got 2 ball valves, and use both for start-up with no fan, and dial inlet and outlet back at the 50F before setting per instructions. Mine wants to run at 250F no matter what I do with a single valve unless it's wide open, then I can hit my 300F for chicken I wanted. May have to put my signals with the fan on next to try and keep temps up, but I normally load about 1/3 of the firebox with lump on the intake side and put a few pieces of chunks in there. Once up to temp I load 4-6, 1/2 sheet pans of meat on wire racks on top (chicken and ribs) that I cook once a week or every 2 weeks to feed my family plus parents and grandparents I help take care of. After a brief dip in temp, it settles back at 250F, and I have to open the ball valve 100% to get it back up after 30 mins or so, then cut back to maybe half. Once I open the door to mop the chicken and ribs, again do the same process with the valves. I have noticed as well that when temps start to drop, I've twice added charcoal since it acted like I was running out, but when I opened the firebox and pullled it out, only the bottom coals were red and the top were still unlit/black. Once I mixed the coals and added more coals, I could maintain temps, but this was after 3 hours or so and near the end of the cook. I really do not like the smell or strong unburnt flavor of briquettes (maybe I need to try other brand/combos), but do those that have ran lump and briquettes had this problem on one or the other? I saw one guy on youtube mix both together, with briquettes on the bottom and lump on top, anyone else try this? Any ideas on why this may/may not help; perhaps just to keep the lump lit I suppose?

The second issue is the lack smoke flavor with the IVS compared to my two offsets. After finally reading all the pages one by one I found two examples of how people load wood (and one that looked like they emptied the wood chipper after the engine quit half way through a chester drawers, lol jk). I think I've been waayyyy too light in my wood to charcoal ratio. I saw one youtube video of a guy putting fist sized chunks on the wire grate only 3" apart throughout the entire "snake", then putting briquettes in between the chunks, then added lump on top, with I believe more wood on top of that. I may try this method on a smaller cook and see how it comes out, then adjust from there before I make my large batches. Any additional firebox set-ups people want to share would be appreciated as well.

I will not let this thread die!!! lol

Haven't seen any new postings on here since all of the rather good reply's on smoke flavor on the LSG IVS, so I'll give my update just in case someone is still struggling like I am.

I say still struggling, because I haven't cooked on my LSG IVS since mentioned cook in above quote. I've cooked almost everything exclusively on my WH 1975t, and it puts out amazing food, but it does run through a lot of wood I buy by the cu. ft. at Academy, so wondering if the IVS will be better financially while getting close to the 1975t flavor. I purchased this huge IVS and I'm going to figure out how to run it until I get it to taste like I want it to dang it!

Store had BOGO bone in turkey breasts on sale so I kept two froze, took out two prime ribs (one 3/4-ish bone and one two pack of 2" thick steaks, ran out of true 3-5 bone roasts when I cut the whole loins down, won't do that again will keep all thick).

Have the two turkey breasts brining in Tipsy Tom brine, and will inject with jalapeno butter as normal turkey, then season with little bit of Lawery's and black pepper then wrap in butter once 140F (did this with chicken breasts last week and it was the best chicken BREASTS I have ever had, not best chicken but close, but best breasts). Plan for prime rib will be to season a day ahead with my mix of Killer Hogs AP, steak, TX, and kosher salt.

My plan is to run my IVS like my old Saffire kamado with one turkey breast and the two 2" thick prime rib cuts, and then cook the other turkey breast and 4 bone prime rib on my offset, and do a blind taste test.

when I say run like my old Saffire kamado, I mean I'm going to:
1.) Load the firebox up 70/30 or somewhere less than 50/50 charcoal to wood, didn't use this high a ratio in my kamado but people here say pour it to it, so going to try it,
2.) Use B&B hickory lump,
3.) Use pecan chunks on bottom, maybe some spread throughout to get good mix of wood to charcoal to try to get as even as a burn as possible but no smoldering wood,
4.) Light small fire on opposite side of intake,
5.) Leave exhaust most of the way open,
6.). Put thin disposable turkey sized pan in water basin filled with chicken stock, herbs, and whatever seasoning I'm using on the food (may remove before placing thinner prime on since not sure how chicken stock will affect taste, normally use beef stock with beef)
7.) Still deciding on removing lower deflector plate to encourage more air flow and more fuel usage, but depends on if temps get too much (similar to Smoking Dad BBQ double indirect on his Kamado joe by encouraging more air flow thus more fuel usage),
8.) Still deciding on if I'm going to use my billows or not, normally got better control and food with air vent settings once I got them figured out. Seems like fan may choke fire down instead of letting small amount flow through freely when not needed.
9.) Finally, I'm going to put the food directly on the grate, and put pans on the next full shelf (4" gap), this will mimic me putting the water/stock pan on top of the deflector plate in my kamado, and giving room for the smoke/air to circulate; versus me putting the meat on a wire rack directly on a sheet pan like I've done on previous two cooks.

If prime rib is done thawing out by the time I get home tonight, I'll be seasoning meat tonight, then leaving work early tomorrow to make this cook happen. Wish me luck!!!!

I will not let this thread die!!! lol

Haven't seen any new postings on here since all of the rather good reply's on smoke flavor on the LSG IVS, so I'll give my update just in case someone is still struggling like I am.

I say still struggling, because I haven't cooked on my LSG IVS since mentioned cook in above quote. I've cooked almost everything exclusively on my WH 1975t, and it puts out amazing food, but it does run through a lot of wood I buy by the cu. ft. at Academy, so wondering if the IVS will be better financially while getting close to the 1975t flavor. I purchased this huge IVS and I'm going to figure out how to run it until I get it to taste like I want it to dang it!

Store had BOGO bone in turkey breasts on sale so I kept two froze, took out two prime ribs (one 3/4-ish bone and one two pack of 2" thick steaks, ran out of true 3-5 bone roasts when I cut the whole loins down, won't do that again will keep all thick).

Have the two turkey breasts brining in Tipsy Tom brine, and will inject with jalapeno butter as normal turkey, then season with little bit of Lawery's and black pepper then wrap in butter once 140F (did this with chicken breasts last week and it was the best chicken BREASTS I have ever had, not best chicken but close, but best breasts). Plan for prime rib will be to season a day ahead with my mix of Killer Hogs AP, steak, TX, and kosher salt.

My plan is to run my IVS like my old Saffire kamado with one turkey breast and the two 2" thick prime rib cuts, and then cook the other turkey breast and 4 bone prime rib on my offset, and do a blind taste test.

when I say run like my old Saffire kamado, I mean I'm going to:
1.) Load the firebox up 70/30 or somewhere less than 50/50 charcoal to wood, didn't use this high a ratio in my kamado but people here say pour it to it, so going to try it,
2.) Use B&B hickory lump,
3.) Use pecan chunks on bottom, maybe some spread throughout to get good mix of wood to charcoal to try to get as even as a burn as possible but no smoldering wood,
4.) Light small fire on opposite side of intake,
5.) Leave exhaust most of the way open,
6.). Put thin disposable turkey sized pan in water basin filled with chicken stock, herbs, and whatever seasoning I'm using on the food (may remove before placing thinner prime on since not sure how chicken stock will affect taste, normally use beef stock with beef)
7.) Still deciding on removing lower deflector plate to encourage more air flow and more fuel usage, but depends on if temps get too much (similar to Smoking Dad BBQ double indirect on his Kamado joe by encouraging more air flow thus more fuel usage),
8.) Still deciding on if I'm going to use my billows or not, normally got better control and food with air vent settings once I got them figured out. Seems like fan may choke fire down instead of letting small amount flow through freely when not needed.
9.) Finally, I'm going to put the food directly on the grate, and put pans on the next full shelf (4" gap), this will mimic me putting the water/stock pan on top of the deflector plate in my kamado, and giving room for the smoke/air to circulate; versus me putting the meat on a wire rack directly on a sheet pan like I've done on previous two cooks.

If prime rib is done thawing out by the time I get home tonight, I'll be seasoning meat tonight, then leaving work early tomorrow to make this cook happen. Wish me luck!!!!

Try using non kiln dried wood. I also put my food in when the cooker is around 200 degrees. I cook at 275 and use water.

Had mine for about three months. It cranks out good food. Run probably 70/30 b&b briquettes with wood underneath. Still learning it but no complaints.

Attachments

• IMG_6511.jpg
    IMG_6511.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 122
Dog had to have a cyst removed and meat wasn't 100% thawed yet, so still haven't cooked yet.

Since the cooker has been sitting in the garage for a few months, I opened it and anticipated to have to clean mold or some other gross material out. To my surprise, like my offsets, as long as I clean any food or residue off, they last a long time without any growth compared to other cookers.

To be safe, I loaded a little more than a pale or so worth of B&B briquettes (1/2 firebox wide, 1/2 firebox long) in the firebox and used a grill torch to light a few on one corner, opposite side of the intake valves as I said I would. I installed my billows and closed the door around 425pm Tuesday. By 525pm the temp overshot to 292 since I didn't close my valve soon enough because I went to shower, then settled back down to 275F. This was my signals reading, as my trutel on the smoker read 275F the entire time.

Whelp, I left the top vent 100% open, and didn't smell any "severe" off-putting briquette smell like I did before. I could still tell it was briqs and not lump like I like, but no where near the smell it was last time, and was almost all heat waves (no wood in coal bed) and little white smoke as compared to before. It ran +2F/-0.5F until 630pm Wednesday!!! 24 hours at 275F with top vent 100% open and 1/4-1/3 charcoal basket of briquettes (B&B orange bag). The cabinet was still at 85F at 7am this morning with overnight temps at 54F when I went to shut the top vent and ball valve.

This has me excited for my cook whenever I can make it happen!

Today's the day! Going to leave work around lunch today hopefully and smoke the afternoon away!

Whelp, I was finally able to get to cookin Friday after noon. I cooked a 4 bone prime rib and one turkey breast in my 1975t, and one turkey breast and two 2" steaks from the same loin on my LSG Large IVS. I did exactly what I said in the post above with a few tweaks after I noticed a few things.

1.) Lump likes to burn clean around 280-295F in the large IVS, with 50/50 B&B hickory lump and B&B pecan chunks; largest pieces on the bottom of the basket, little smaller in the middle, and smaller pieces on top, with lump between every piece so no smoldering spots.

2.) I need to wait a little longer to put the meat on, as I didn't notice the heavy-ish white smoke coming out and not clearing up until after about 20 minutes. I put the meat on around 225F as the smoke smell cleared up some, but not 100%, and I thought I was close enough. I will not put on until 275 next time on my way to 290F.

3.) Leaving the top vent all the way open was definitely the right move (thanks Tex!). There was no heavy charcoal taste to the meat and smell compared to before, and the smoke was similar to my offset with barely visible white smoke the entire cook once I got above 285F.

4.) The stock and seasoning water pan in the bottom of the smoker sitting on top of the water pan, and smaller water pans filled with a 1/2" of water one full rack (4") below each piece of meat, with the meat sitting directly on the rack, made a HUGE difference! A lot more smoke look and taste all the way around the meat this time compared to when I put wire racks in a sheet pan and sat the meat on top of it.

5.) Next time, I will pull the meat, wire rack I cooked on, and the water pans when I take the meat out, and let the fire run however much longer until it's gone (there wasn't much left since I didn't load it but partially anyway). I got busy hunting Saturday and stayed out in the woods late, so it wasn't until Sunday morning when I took the pans out, and the cabinet already started to smell in our 90F heat and the smoker at 110F with no fire or anything. So, I started another fire and let it run all afternoon and night at 300F to clean the smoker and get the smell out.

Testing method: After I let the meats cool for a bit but still hot/warm, I cut the steaks and turkeys up, and fed them to my wife in random order, and kept asking what she liked about each one, and the differences between the two. To keep it interesting, random, and truthful, I gave her some different cuts of the same meat a few times, to see if it's a difference in the individual meat, or the cooker. Several times she said that one piece was juicer or had more seasoning than the other, but they were the same piece of meat (end on the bottom versus top, I guess this was the stock pan hitting one part more than the other). I did the same thing to myself.

Turkey results: I could slightly tell which turkey was on the cabinet, because it has a slight charcoal taste from the smoke not clearing up right away, and the skin on the offset was slightly more bite through and cut slightly easier with a fork. Otherwise, very, very close, but slight edge to the offset on the turkey. I bet if I'd have waited 10-20 more minutes and bumped the temp up to clear the smoke, it would be even closer because I wouldn't have tasted the very, very slight charcoal smoke flavor.

Prime Rib/Steaks results- I thought my thermoworks dot prob was bad when I put the steaks and prime rib on, because they read 26-28F. Nope, two handhelds later they read the same thing. The outsides felt thawed since they've been thawing for 6 days, and seasoning for 2, but clearly they were not. Even with this making the prime rib go 2 hours longer than the 2" steaks on the IVS, again there was only a very, very slight charcoal smoke taste on the cabinet steaks, but they were 2" thick compared to 12-14".

Overall, I've had the meats twice since Friday, and both times I have a hard time telling a difference, besides looks and skin on the turkey, and very very slight charcoal smoke taste and smell. Everything was super tasty and juicy, and I've found a new respect (and self assurance) that I'm closing the gap between my offset and IVS.

Due to the timing of wheeling out and starting up the cabinet, I still will use my offset most of the time, but it's good to know when I have a big cook and I have to start the cook in the morning and then go to work after I put the food on, or having a long cook I can do overnight instead of taking off work or working from home all day then finishing in oven overnight.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me with this thread. I was worried I spent a whole lot of money on something I wasn't going to like, but this cook changed my mind. I look forward to learning even more with this thing now!

Last edited:
I got my large IVS last month and have had some great cooks on it. 1st cook I smoked a couple racks of ribs. Second cook was a test brisket, 3rd was smoking some sausage, then 4th cook was 18 racks of ribs to give to friends and family, and my 5th cook was smoking 2 turkeys and 2 chickens for a church luncheon.

It seems to like to run about 225 with water pans. At this temp it burns about a pound of charcoal per hour.

It seems to take about 2-3 hours to get up to temp and this is OK with me. I just plan for the extra time. I don't use any of the tricks and tips on this thread to hurry it up. I just simply get the starting point of the charcoal snake light and basically ignore it for the next couple hours. Then I hook up the Fireboard with the fan and let things settle out.

Anyway lots of great info here and thanks to all who have contributed, it made it easy for me to figure out how to smoke on the IVS.

Back