THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lol.... I have thought long and hard about the size. The lg being about 700 more isn't a big deal. I just can't see ever using the space. And also the mini I am guessing is much easier to move around when need be. Across the grass and up and down the hill in my back yard.

At over 600 lbs. for the mini and my regular with cart and table being over 1000, I can't say either will be "Easy" to move...Especially in grass!! The 10" run flats may help in grass but I opted for the 8" caster, not the 10's.

600 isn't bad.... my Ts120p was 975 with the insulated firebox.... can't get 10" anymore. I'll have to souce some out.

Sounds like these guys are giving u excellent advice and did the same for me about 7 weeks ago. I went with the large because I can cook 2 whole turkeys and whatever else at the same time.

Lol.... I have thought long and hard about the size. The lg being about 700 more isn't a big deal. I just can't see ever using the space. And also the mini I am guessing is much easier to move around when need be. Across the grass and up and down the hill in my back yard.

if you get the mini get an extra rack slider or 2 put in. cheap insurance in case you start need more space. i have an insulated cabinet about the same size as the mini and it has 6 rack sliders about 3.5"-4" apart. i can jump the racks around or put them all in and load it up. i have had 6 briskets in it with 2 racks empty. mine is only 425LBS and it will not roll easily on anything that is not hard and smooth. get the biggest wheels you can get.

I went with the large. It's been well worth it and a lot of fun. Been inviting friends to smoke food when I'm going to fire it up for a family dinner. I've had dinner for 4 different families on my smoker at one time and all of us just handing out, throwing back some cold ones and watching a game....
IMO that's what it's all about. food, friends, and memories...

if you get the mini get an extra rack slider or 2 put in. cheap insurance in case you start need more space. i have an insulated cabinet about the same size as the mini and it has 6 rack sliders about 3.5"-4" apart. i can jump the racks around or put them all in and load it up. i have had 6 briskets in it with 2 racks empty. mine is only 425LBS and it will not roll easily on anything that is not hard and smooth. get the biggest wheels you can get.

Yep planned on 3 extra rails and one extra rack.

I run my charcoal exactly like Thoey's, except I run lump...works perfect.

Interesting story, I had ordered the heat deflector, but never saw it and had always meant to call Chris and inquire about it....never managed to get around to that phone call.
Anyways yesterday morning I was cleaning the cooker and when I made my way down to the firebox I noticed I had slid it in and it wasn't sitting in the rails, cleaned her up and set to rectifying my screw up.
Had to get on my knees because the farking thing wouldn't slide in, there was a metal tab sticking down into the left side, used my finger to push it up and the farking thing fell on my hand...literally a 30"x24" piece of steel fell on my hand...which is swollen as hell because I got a chunk of wood in it from a job a coupla weeks ago and apparently did not get it all cut out.
I hopped up holding my hand like a big farkin baby and set to swearing up a storm!
Calmed down pretty quick when I realized that was my supposed missing deflector plate...Hot damn!

Things a little tricky to get back in, and I cussed it a bit, but if you just slide her in where the fire box goes and lift the right side (rounded tabs) up and over your rail, you can lift the left over the rail and set it in it's notch, that side is square and the notch rides the uppermost part of the rail...hope that helps if any body wonders where it's at or it falls on your hand.

-D

^^^ If you are going to go with the mini. This is a must. I may be the only guy on here that has had both. I bought the standard (i messed up with the door configuration with my cooking area) and sold it to a brethern. I loved it and probably still need it (at least until my son has graduated hs), but I love the mini just as much if not more. I can cook 8 whole packers or 12 butts (i need to try 16). It has done everything i have needed. Biggest pro for the mini is the weight of the grates, ash pan, and fire box. Much easier to handle, remove, and clean.

Forgot about the Heat Deflector so I am a +1 on that for sure! I only used the T-Plates twice. Run just like thoeys currently, works perfect, if not better.

Ok it's officially official....... You Farkers one..... Just placed the order. Planned on it last week but time got away from me. I did have my mind made up last week. But had to wait till today to actually place the order to get money to the bank from the sale of the Meadow Creek. Done Farkin Deal..... Just got off the phone with Chris.

Ok, here is a couple questions I haven't seen answered yet by anyone. Has anyone covered the water pan up with a adjustable vented lid of any type? This would do a couple things. One keep the heat in the water and two you can adjust how much moisture you may want. Also you could use much less water. And since your retaining the heat and steam you theoritically should use less fuel.

Also if you get caught in a huge rain storm say running at 225. Does that pose an issue? Water inside on the food and such?

And lastly..... I have 350 gallons of propane to burn up. Has anyone outfitted theirs with a warmer of some type? Using the second air intake?

I have never run water in mine, so I can't respond to the first question.

If it looks like it may rain, I just make sure my food is not on the top center of the grate below the exhaust opening. Got plenty of room, so never had it so full that something couldn't be moved around.

Haven't really found the need for a warmer. I use a weed burner to fire it up. I will usually run it across the grates to loosen any crust up before I brush the grates down. I am usually putting food on the pit within an hour after lighting it up.

Back