Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

i can't wait. Been stocking my freezers in anticipation lol.

You're right - reading through this thread I can't seem to find anything negative other than mentioning the handle on one needed adjusting.

I saw the pic of your freezer and WOW ! Your ready For sure :) stocked up is an understatement:)

i can't wait. Been stocking my freezers in anticipation lol.

You're right - reading through this thread I can't seem to find anything negative other than mentioning the handle on one needed adjusting.

If there was any negative on the LSG cabinet it would be the water pan in the older models. The drain does not completely empty the water pan,again this is on the older models. I understand that this has been corrected on the newer models. I use a 2" deep stainless hotel pan in the bottom of mine for water and to catch drippings. Cleanup is much easier this way.

Mini
T plates
Comp cart
Cart on ball valve side
Extra rails
Extra grate....
Cover for water fill
Anything I am missing?

I was going to say the folding side shelf, but then realized that you said the comp cart. I would skip the t plates and buy some fire bricks, but when you are spending that kind of money, not a big difference.

Last edited:
Yeah the t plates are $35.00... Debating on tie downs. Could always install myself it they just sheet metal screw them in

Mini
T plates
Comp cart
Cart on ball valve side
Extra rails
Extra grate....
Cover for water fill
Anything I am missing?

T plates are a waste of money. I know it's only $35 but they don't work so it's a waste. Spend that money on an ash rake. Then add the heat deflector. This is a necessary item.

+1 on heat deflector

With all due respect, I disagree with the effectiveness of the T plates. I have found them to be very useful for my 12+ hour smokes. I've found, although that I do have burning wood/charcoal at each end of the T plates, I have no problem managing temperature.
Without the use of something to divide the wood/charcoal, I think you'd end up with a pile of smoldering wood/charcoal and difficulty maintaining a constant temp.
Maybe the T plates aren't the only answer, however I think the use of something to create a way to control the amount of wood/charcoal burns at one time would be beneficial.
But I also make it a rule to not mess with my fire once lit, so I never open the box door, period.
I realize intake/ exhaust directly affect the rate of burn, however the T plates are an effective way to support rate of burn support those variables.

Can one of these run hot enough to properly smoke a rib roast or a prime rib

I've purchased this for the obvious proteins but noticed a few of y'all use it for every day oven type stuff.

+1 on heat deflector

With all due respect, I disagree with the effectiveness of the T plates. I have found them to be very useful for my 12+ hour smokes. I've found, although that I do have burning wood/charcoal at each end of the T plates, I have no problem managing temperature.
Without the use of something to divide the wood/charcoal, I think you'd end up with a pile of smoldering wood/charcoal and difficulty maintaining a constant temp.
Maybe the T plates aren't the only answer, however I think the use of something to create a way to control the amount of wood/charcoal burns at one time would be beneficial.
But I also make it a rule to not mess with my fire once lit, so I never open the box door, period.
I realize intake/ exhaust directly affect the rate of burn, however the T plates are an effective way to support rate of burn support those variables.
I have used the T plates 3 times. Each time when my cook was finished I had a firebox full of half burned charcoal. Without the T plates there is still quite a bit of charcoal that never lit. I have never once had any issue maintaining the temp in the cooker. Whether it be 225 or all the way up to 325 without the T plates. That is why I think they are a waste of money.

I bought the T-Plates, seasoned them first time I fired up the smoker, wrapped them up in a hefty bag and put them in the garage where they still sit today. I just do a U shaped burn and have been able to burn long enough for briskets and butts, pulled those, and did ribs or turkeys afterwards. I'd save the money.

F6EFB909-98CA-44F3-B925-1B859FFD604C_zpspho0kgi2.jpg

A wine cork fits the water fill hole perfectly. No need for a fancy cover.

Save the money from those two items, save up a little more, and get the large. I believe it is almost as efficient, just takes a little more coal to heat it up to temp, after that, probably the same amount. You'll appreciate the room. Even if you are not filling it up, just nice to have options where to put things.

Last edited:
Buy the LARGE.....Period... If the extra $400-500 is tipping you, maybe you should be looking at way less expensive smokers.

Like T said above..Having the extra room is nice, even when it's not for the need for that much food going on.

Oh, and I stopped using my T-plates also.

With my WCS and a Minni I just can't ever see needing more room. Only cooks I do is almost daily for two people. And the most I ever cooked for was 25. Even if I do a huge family event that would still only be 1 brisket, 2-3 butts, 10 racks ribs.... I can do that almost with just the mini.... can easily do it with the WCS and a mini.... I know it's only about 700 more. Shipping and cost. But In the past 25 years I have only needed a third smoker a handful of times... And don't see it in the future.

Well, some of us are compensating!

LOL

Lol.... I have thought long and hard about the size. The lg being about 700 more isn't a big deal. I just can't see ever using the space. And also the mini I am guessing is much easier to move around when need be. Across the grass and up and down the hill in my back yard.

Back