THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I see a lot of replies recommending the weed burner. I have used this method and to be honest I had to stop using it. The comments from my guests and neighbors were kind of embarrassing. It's really something you would expect to see Tim the Tool Man using. Just a bit of over kill. Nothing like starting your charcoal with a flame thrower that sounds like a rocket taking off accompanied by a shower of sparks worthy of a fireworks display.. :lol:

Dang, I'm going out today to get one of them...:twisted:

Dave

IMG_0220-1.jpg

Oh yeah, I could use that for the 4th of July fireworks as well....

Dave

The veg oil on some newspaper works very well never had to restart one using that, But I like using the weed burner because I not only can get the lump going fast I also use it to burn of the cooking grates and pre heat the smoker. And I like knowing my neighbors must think I am nuts.
Dave

I see a lot of replies recommending the weed burner. I have used this method and to be honest I had to stop using it. The comments from my guests and neighbors were kind of embarrassing.

Sounds like you need some different guest and neighbors.
OR use a plumber's propane torch.

Well i use a small torch. But have been told that Pam works great. I suppose similar to Veg oil. And you can spray down your grill with it if need be.

Gotta go and get me one of them torches and possibly another 5 gal tank. This could be trouble.

you don't cook with lighterfluid so why would you use it?

and what I do just to start the fire, I put a touch of lighterfluid.

Ummm... What's wrong with this picture? :-D

I use either the Weber starter cubes (bought a bunch on sale at the end of last "season") or a paper towel with veggie oil.

What I have been doing, is useing a Huge WAD of paper maybe 10-15 sheets, rolled up in a tight donut, and spray a tiny bit of lighter fluid on the paper (not the coals) to get the fire going, i find it gets the paper going haywire, and find it lights over twice as fast than not using it to help ignite the paper, there is a bit of a stinky smell for the first 5 seconds,,, thats about it, and i notice zero petrolium taste either,,, I only do this on really wind days, or when im in a bit of a hurry or really hungry, it cuts the starting time almost in half,

When in a pinch some gasoline from the lawn mower always works great.

Save lint out of the lint trap in your dryer. Kepp it in a sealed container--I use 35mm film canisters. Add a few drops of lighter fluid--like is used in zippo lighters. Stuff the lint ball in the middle of your paper wad. It will give the paper burn a kick start. Or you could always buy a weed burner

Back