THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dang I’d like to try my hand with the Round steak

I used to love getting a big ol round steak, not quite the Fred Flintstone one wayne posted, and marinating it and then flash grilling over an inferno on the kettle. I'd make up a nice au jus to go with it...maybe a horsey sauce and some of :becky:'s mashed taters and gravy.

top round has a good beef flavor

Back in the early days when rent money went into the envelope each week, if we were feeling rich we'd get a big 'ol bone in round steak, salt and pepper it and put under the broiler till it looked cooked enough. I was aware the eye was just for my half.
That's back when a $40 grocery bill was a killer.
Ed

When I was a little boy in the '60s, steaks were very different. The two of these examples I remember the most were full sized bone-in round steaks... and T-bones that always had the 'tail'.

sUhGTAk.jpg

Thanks for learning these puppies. Play close attention to the video, guy. I lost the 3 footer but still have the other two.

https://youtu.be/phL-U_lVKmM?si=qrGBHa7e3pmFRdCe

What's a baking nail?

Family of 6 one income. Dad would grill three TBones and we'd split. Well done and crunchy. Gnawing the bone yielded the moistest meat. The aroma of Kingsford and GulfLite, lit with a blue diamond match still hits the feels. Our baked potatoes were cooked with a baking nail.

I can remember all you mentioned, with the exception of the "baking nail"....what is that?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

A flat iron was always in the shoulder, but the University of Nebraska promoted a different style of butchering to harvest that steak, which added a few dollars to the net profit of a steer. Fun fact: The Vegas Strip steak comes from the chuck, near the flat iron.

flat iron is my go to steak, inexpensive and lots of great beef flavor

Family of 6 one income. Dad would grill three TBones and we'd split. Well done and crunchy. Gnawing the bone yielded the moistest meat. The aroma of Kingsford and GulfLite, lit with a blue diamond match still hits the feels. Our baked potatoes were cooked with a baking nail.

I don't know if this is a flash-back or a wayback.... But I got 'em horizontally, and vertically. :mrgreen:

kimVX6U.jpg

6qkpc8U.jpg

Back