Leftovers at a party? Etiquette?

The way I figure it, I buy and cook X amount of meats/foods for a party expecting that it will all be eaten. At the end of the night, I bring out various sizes of ziplock bags and offer leftovers to whomever wants them.

The dog thing gets me as well and I've laid the serious smack down on it, especially on one aunt in particular who once took a full NY Strip home for her dog. Togo packs are ONLY for human consumption. If there are scraps/bones, those can be taken home to the dog.

If I want leftover proteins for the week, I build them into my cook and they never see the serving line.

It's your house, your food, your rules. There is nothing wrong if guests ask if you mind if they take some home. There is also nothing wrong if you tell them that you already have other plans for what you've cooked.

We've had guests, and somebody mentioned that they'd appreciate some leftovers for somebody that was home recovering from surgery or were going to have company from out of town that they'd like to have sample it, or some other reason. They asked, the got the leftovers, there may not have been anything left to send home. My home, my food, my rules.

I'm not sure I get it, I would never ask anyone for leftovers if I was a guest, the way I was raised, that would be rude, and I wouldn't expect to be offering take out if it was my party. Guests could eat it all as far as i'm concerned, at the party, but it's not going home with them. Family is different... they can divey up the leftovers however they want.
If you have so much food left over that you don't know what to do with it all, then you cooked to much. It's a party, not a soup kitchen, you guys get karma points for being over the top? lol

I do 2 large company parties a year at our home. I have strict rules. They are told when we are done eating that there is extra food, I do not want it to go bad from setting out and I do not want it. I hand them a couple boxes of gallon ziplocks and tell them to take what they want, put it in the fridge then we will continue the party, works out great as suddenly all of the dishes are empty and dirty so the dishwasher is filled, what doesn't fit is washed and the party stars again, it is amazing how empty, dirty dishes make people feel guilty if they don't wash them :tape:

I'm not sure I get it, I would never ask anyone for leftovers if I was a guest, the way I was raised, that would be rude, and I wouldn't expect to be offering take out if it was my party. Guests could eat it all as far as i'm concerned, at the party, but it's not going home with them. Family is different... they can divey up the leftovers however they want.
If you have so much food left over that you don't know what to do with it all, then you cooked to much. It's a party, not a soup kitchen, you guys get karma points for being over the top? lol

Could very well be that the friends some of us invite to our parties are almost as close as family. It's not like I go through the line at Kroger and invite the cashier over.

As for cooking too much, yes, I do. Running out of any of the proteins is the last thing that would happen at one of my get togethers. Friends and I laugh that it actually happened once at my house, during the funeral reception/wake after my father passed away. The bereavement committee from my parents church said that they had the food taken care of.

When my family got home after the funeral, someone who was helping out came up to me and said "we are out of meats". My brother was dispatched to Kroger, an aunt went out to get some fried chicken. I took my coat and tie off, went to the fridge, grabbed some brats, burgers and ribeyes and went outside and fired up some grills. The problem was rectified in short order. That's just kind of how we roll here.

You did all the work, not rude.

It's your house, your food, your rules. There is nothing wrong if guests ask if you mind if they take some home. There is also nothing wrong if you tell them that you already have other plans for what you've cooked.

While someone wanting leftovers may be flattering, for them to ask if it has not been offered is the height of rudeness.

^ +1 ....

My wife quietly removes the food on the table as she brings out dessert. Putting it out of site in the spare refrigerator

Sometimes your true friends will stay and help you clean-up and do dishes, at that point after others have left she makes the call whether or not she wants to offer them a doggie bag.

What's left over we have for lunch or for dinner the next day (depending on the amount). If there is a considerable amount left over we'll vac-seal for a use at a later date. She loves the idea that she can have another meal in minutes at some future point without cooking.

I think it rather depends on the audience. I have often ended up with more beer, chips and dip, etc than I started as everyone brings something. I keep my pantry and fridges stocked well so I encourage people to take stuff home. I also make plates for neighbors who could not attend. But your mileage may vary. Also I only cook steaks for close family however, I have fed my dog some generous scraps of steak on occasion.

My friends always bring beer or wine for me and the fiance so I always offer ary vac sealed leftovers. I'd do it even of they didn't bring stuff. I like when people like my food and I love feeding people. I'm picking up my Shirley next month and the first major cook will be 14 turkeys for the local soup kitchen for the homeless they feed for thanksgiving. They feed 50-75 people so the workers should have some smoked turkey to go home with as well.

I read this thread with great interest. Different strokes for different folks. But lots of ideas really resonate with me. Since I'm firing up the cooker, I can definitely see cooking extra at the same time for lunches, etc. I agree with stashing away what I don't intend to serve. But there have also been times when things start running low and I end up pulking out the stash...just being a good host. As far as leftovers go, I encourage my guests to take as much as they want and I provide those disposable zip lock Tupper ware thingies...I figure it cuts down on my cleanup work after a party if I don't have to vacuum pack leftovers. And I too have a tremendous problem with having my food fed to the dogs...that's just wrong.

Thanks for starting this thread

My friends always bring beer or wine for me and the fiance so I always offer ary vac sealed leftovers. I'd do it even of they didn't bring stuff. I like when people like my food and I love feeding people. I'm picking up my Shirley next month and the first major cook will be 14 turkeys for the local soup kitchen for the homeless they feed for thanksgiving. They feed 50-75 people so the workers should have some smoked turkey to go home with as well.

I love feeding people too. It is one of my great pleasures. But the difference here is you offer them leftovers. It is your decision, as it should always be.

... And I too have a tremendous problem with having my food fed to the dogs...that's just wrong.

Thanks for starting this thread

My dog, Cheyenne, has something to say to you:

3b_zpsxattkstc.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep any leftovers. Unless someone asks. We're all life-long friends, so I wouldn't be offended if someone liked it that much. If they didn't ask, would it be an insult? Thanks, Aceman

Sometimes we will offer leftovers, but I think it's actually pretty rude when people expect to take food home. It should be offered, not expected.

We put out styrofoam clamshell containers and guests are welcome to take whatever they want.

I cook quite a bit for get togethers at the house.

Now as a Filipino, it is expected that baon (taking leftovers) is allowed. It is a cultural thing because everybody typically shows up with a dish, there is enough food to feed an army, and everybody helps clean up dishes. There is plenty of food for people to take some home.

When I got into bbq I would invite my friends (mostly non filipinos) and they would ask if they could take leftovers even though they weren't offered. I had 0 issue with it, and didn't find it rude. The way most of them asked was "hey this is some of hte best bbq/food I have ever had, mind if I take a little bit home for lunch tomorrow"

Now I also don't have a problem telling people that "The steak or the point meat" is mine, but the rest of the food is fair game. I will typically move what I want off the food table and into the fridge.

I give them use of extra paper plates, my big ole roll of foil, and plastic wrap.

I generally try to get rid of leftovers, I don't host parties at home, but, when I am co-hosting, I want the food to go away. I provide containers from my stash of to-go tubs, the round ones, like you get soup in. I have many 16 and 24 ounce ones. Yes, with lids.

And I really don't care if they decide to serve it to their dogs, kids, worms. I gave them a gift, what they choose to do with it, is their business.

Let me throw in a twist, when I make Que I will have some guest that bring a side dish and sometimes the majority of that dish is leftover and I really don't want it, is it rude to pack it up and send it home with other guest when the guest that brought it says they don't want to take it home?

We do clamshells or zip lock bags and our friends/family are welcome to anything left out. There are times where I need the leftovers for other things and then I just put the leftovers away when folks are done eating. If anyone asked and they weren't available I just tell them I have plans for the leftovers. Simple enough.

Back