Making A Mess Of Ribs Saturday

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
Well, not really a mess. Probably 5 or 6 racks. Local grocers have them on sale. $2.99/Lb for baby backs, $1.99/Lb at a different store for spares. I didn't see anything in either ad about limits.

Preacher and his family are coming over. I have a rib method/recipe that I really like, and everyone who has tried them really likes them. However, I'm always open to trying something new. I know there are Q'ers here who have been doing it way longer than I have (only about 5 years or so for me), and they know how to turn out some amazing food. That being the case, I would gladly take any hints or recipes anyone would care to share.

I told the Preacher I would send a full rack home with him. I cooked a rack for his family a month or so ago and dropped them off at their house. He said his 2 year old daughter walked around the house for the rest of that evening yelling "Meat!". It probably isn't hard to impress a 2 year old, but I'll take it as a compliment anyway.

Always offer a choice of wet and dry ribs here. Otherwise a choice of sauces for the wet rib folks (I've been preferring the dry rub ribs).

I had to re-read the title to make sure you were making a mess of ribs and not a mess of the ribs. I usually end up with dryer ribs when cooking baby backs, so I won't offer any advice. I did just pick up a couple of slabs at $2.49/lb. at Kroger, so I will try again. Good luck to us both, but you have a lot more riding on it because your guest can put in a good word for you with the Man Upstairs:wink:

What's the rib method/recipe that you really like ? And what are you looking for ? If it works .... why fiddle ?

It's a Malcom Reed recipe, where you cook for about 3 hours unwrapped, then wrap for a couple of hours with foil, with a slather of honey, melted butter, more rub, and brown sugar, with a bit of apple juice in the foil. Then another hour unwrapped. At that point, any racks that get sauced will have it applied, and stay in the cooker for a little while to let the sauce set.

Never had anyone complain about that method, but I have no doubt there are better ribs out there. Part of what I enjoy about this addiction is trying new methods and recipes.

Always offer a choice of wet and dry ribs here. Otherwise a choice of sauces for the wet rib folks (I've been preferring the dry rub ribs).

Some of the racks will not be sauced. But your post inspires me to maybe put a container of sauce in the cooker to heat up. That way, anyone who wants dry ribs, with an option to dip them, will be all set.

There's a local Greek joint that sells gyros, burgers, chicken, hot dogs, and ribs. Never had their ribs, but their sauce is amazing. And they serve it hot. I get a side of it to dip my fries in. Out of this world good.

With that many ribs it's nice to try something new. I would stick to your tried and true method and change it up on a some others. That way it's not a total loss :wink: Indiana, if you have a Meijer they carry Billy Sims bbq sauce. It has been my go to and I get compliments all the time on it and complaints if I switch. Sounds like it should be a fun time, enjoy!

With that many ribs it's nice to try something new. I would stick to your tried and true method and change it up on a some others. That way it's not a total loss :wink: Indiana, if you have a Meijer they carry Billy Sims bbq sauce. It has been my go to and I get compliments all the time on it and complaints if I switch. Sounds like it should be a fun time, enjoy!

I can see a Meijer store from my front yard. As I type this, my dear wife is putting away the weekly grocery haul from there. I should try that sauce. I've never heard of it. I really like Stubbs Sticky Sweet.

Went and bought 6 racks of the baby backs this evening. I was a little disappointed in the size of some of the racks... pretty small. I think they had been picked over before I got to them. Oh well, it'll still be a good day of cooking and fellowship.

Back