kumado

For about a $100 more you can get a Vision Classic B. I love using my Vision for smaller cooks! They started out at $599 last year and at the end if the season I purchased for $439.......week later dropped down to $399. I've heard good things about the acorn as well.

Where are you seeing the Vision for that price? That's what I've been looking for, but I'm seriously considering the Akorn due to it's lower cost.

Cliff

I own two of them. The insulation is white foam that retains the heat. They have a limited life span. I have one on its last leg, and one still in a box. Got them for a closeout price. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Love the Akorn. Just bought 2 more at Wallyworld about a month ago when they were half price. ($144) Can't beat them at regular price but for half price they are a steal. And yes, as someone mentioned the cart model has a little better hinge system IMO. I have both styles and like them both but the cart model is a little better long term I would say. I use them here at work (long term care nursing) because charcoal is considered safer then gas because one of my elders can't accidently turn it on and burn themselves. Also the insulated exterior never gets really hot to the touch when I'm grilling a special meal for one of the households so there's no burn hazard there either. And they love sitting around and watching the cook. At home I use one to grill, slow smoke, or bake by using a ceramic baffle between the charcoal and the grate. Maybe someday I will upgrade to a Vision or Primo but if I can get an Akorn for 144...?

My two Akorns show no sign of wear. I got the covers for them and they stay out in the weather. I love the tray at the bottom and the separate dome rack for pizza. I sear steaks on them and and do low and slow over night.

I have had mine for over 3 years now and I still like it just fine. I added a Kamado Joe Big Joe last year and that is a fantastic grill. The Akorn has some advantages over the BJ, uses less charcoal gets to temp quicker. The BJ has a lot more advantages over the Akorn, much easier to control temps, gives a better smoke flavor, is much more versatile and such. You can't go wrong with an Akorn and it's a good way to get into Kamado style cooking, at a reasonable price.

Back