Kingsford mesquite Charcoal vs lump in Pitmaker

waywardtravel

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm about to do my first brisket as along with it will be 2 different loins, Pork ribs and sausage then after cool it down and do some pickels, tilapia, and 20lbs beef jerky. I'm expecting 20 hrs plus. My longest cooks have been butts or picknic's.

This is a Pitmaker safe. It has the sliding vent not the upgraded valve.
I have been trying every charcoal I can find in this foreign country. Wood is not an option. I have Hickory, Apple, and Pecan chunks.
The best charcoal or lump I have is Cowboy brand hardwood right now.

I bought 4 bags Kingsford mesquite charcoal because I saw it yesterday.

I see videos of people U shape or L shape they use in the pitmaker.
Would you think the Kingsford will be easier to control than the Cowboy for a long cook?

I have become pretty good with the Cowboy but half the bag is the tiny broken up chunks not lump by the time the bags reach Panama.

That slow burning pyramid L (LOOKS) so easy

I can get get 8-10 hours of 275ish in my PBC with 8# of coals mixed 75% Briquettes 25% lump and the whole thing lit- no snake-pyramid-coal counting etc. I actually like the Kingsford "wood" series. A nice long hot clean burn. I'm not familiar with your cooker- or the volume of coals it will hold. Perhaps my experience of weight and mix will help. I'm st 3600 feet above sea level in a semi arid high wind environment. My favorite woods are pecan, hickory, apple, mesquite, maple and peach. The only time I really favor one over the other is when a cooker is virgin new- then I like Hickory the first several cooks.

Thanks, I forgot to mention I'm going to shoot for 230 roughly center rack where the factory thermometer is located. I have many more thermometers to check other spots and internal.

I think this would be considered a pretty good size Q. It's a 5 rack vertical with 20 ft/sq cooking surface.

When you light everything like you mentioned do you get a big spike when it first comes to temp or does it ride pretty even? I haven't tried that yet.

I sometimes use matchlight in big starter can 3/4 full. That will warm up the cooker to about 250 pretty easy but need more before too long.

I might try your 75/25 mix this time or close. I like the "coil" only to place the Hickory chunks strategically for constant clean smoke.
So far that has worked but I sometimes can only buy chips which changes things.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I don't have a thermometer mounted. I light, wait 20-30 minutes. Most times add a few wood chunks on top right before hanging and leave it. The reason I know it goes that long is I don't shut down and reuse briqs. I keep on cooking or let it burn.

I use lump in my safe and can run 12-15 hours at 225-250 degrees. I just fill the tray with lump and light one corner of it.

When I reached 225 I closed the vent. Stack wide open.
3 hours later 255 , I guess That's fine but surprised. I'm going to put the brisket on now and after a bit add a handful or 2 of lump and smoke.

Thanks.

I have t-plates in my Vault to run a maze, but the L works just as well. 20 hrs on lump is easy to do but at some point it helps if I open the firebox and shuffle coal closer to the air intake. Helps keep the fire small and hot.

I heat it up with a weed buner then light the coal. My chunks are mixed into the coal in advance. I heat up to 25-50 over my target temp, load up the cooker with cold meat, then cut the air valve 80% or more depending on conditions. That will run steady for 14 hrs or so. When temps start dipping, I open the firebox and shovel coals closer to air intake andeave firebox door cracked a bit to get the temp to trend up, then shut it tight.

It will hold for an easy 8 hrs more like that.

My basket on the vault is a lot bigger though, so you may need to add some coals when you do the shuffle.

If temp goes more than 30° over, I pour a bit of water down the stack to bring it down a notch.

I appreciate that sir. It's 1am for me, my first brisket is running and temp is pretty stabil at 240ish. I'm going to stoke it one more time, sleep a bit and check up in a few hours. I just chased some petty thiefs for a half hour and want to get some rest. lol
I'm guessing I can maintain 225 to 245 in my sleep for a couple hours or so. Thanks for the input. I will lay down a little L before crashing too.

Back