Kettle Pizza

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
Started making pizza finally last year, as well as sourdough. Now that I've gotten a bit more comfortable with the process overall, wanted to improve it even more, so grabbed a pizza kettle kit. First run on it was a reasonable success...

EkVay3ol.jpg

TDhdy6Ql.jpg

7dWmsUWl.jpg

7CpvYB9l.jpg

My aspiring chef 14 year old (really -- he's thinking he wants to do that) made the one on the right (using some leftover pulled pork from a recent cook):
bwEE9uul.jpg

Some improvement to be made yet, but really good overall, and always fun to do :thumb:

That pizza looks awesome. I have the KP and I had pretty good success with it. I've not used it in several years and I'm not even sure where the stone went.

For the record I’ve got the KP with the tombstone stone insert and the fire basket.

Pros: You can use wood with this setup which means 700-800F air temps and get the stone super hot. This means you can really roast thin crust pizza and get the toppings beautifully cooked as is the way with wood fired pizza.

Cons: The way to burn wood is a charcoal basket in the back that is difficult to feed. The backyard pizza ovens I’ve used allow you to keep wood burning on the side but the KP fire basket is in the back, and it’s difficult to manage the fire because the opening of the KP is relatively small and opening the kettle lid at those high temps isn’t a pleasant experience. The lack of any sort of chimney on a Weber kettle also makes it a bit difficult as well as the lack of insulation which means greater temp swings.

Yes, you can use the KP without wood but I prefer the results at 700-800F which can only be obtained with a wood fire. So the love is that I have a setup for wood fired pizza, the hate is that it’s hard to use compared to an actual pizza oven.

Last edited:
Some good looking pizza there!

I have the KettlePizza Serious Eats package, with the backing steel and basket. For me, replenishing the fire has been pretty easy. I just put two or three hardwood chunks, about fist size each, on the stone, then shove it back with the peel. Works like a charm!

Haven't fired it up since this past October...this post will change that!

Back