Only Three Toppings Plus One - Pizza Edition

jrTheSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
jrTheSmoker
Building on 16Adams idea, If you could only have three toppings on a pizza, and you have to make it on a grill/smoker (no ovens allowed), what would they be? And if you had an ultimate grilled/smoked pizza, what would you add?

My 3: whole smoked chicken (shredded), bacon, and banana peppers.

My ultimate: above 3 plus add in red and green onions, black olives, feta and blue cheese crumbles, and buffalo sauce swirls.

Since PH and Domino's got terrible around here, and the brick-oven pizza place is so expensive, I thought to myself, I can do better than this and add some smoke flavor too. Before starting my carnivore diet a few months back, I would make pizzas for my kids bday parties twice a year, plus maybe once every three months, and I would make enough to last all week. My thought process is I would put all my bad eating habits and cravings into one week so I could concentrate on eating salads and other healthy stuff the weeks and months after, and I wouldn't feel so bad about it.

My pizzas always start out the same way. I usually consist of smoking whole chickens injected with jalapeno butter injection, then covered in a mix of Badia Tropical and citrus seasonings mixed together and add some garlic herb seasoning for a three way mix, then smoke on my offset with hickory and oak woof. Next, I throw the bacon strips on the smoker to render and cook down. My last topping is some heat and crunch, so I sub out depending on mood jalapenos, banana peppers, or red onions.

I cook the chickens a few days before with the weekly meal prep so I'm not rushed when we do the pizzas or burning a whole day. On the day of the cook, I crank up my 5-burner gas grill to max and place the pizza stone and a tube full of cherry pellets off to one side. I aluminum foil all openings above the grates and leave a tiny opening on the opposite side of my pellet tube and on the same side of my pizza stone, so I get max smoke across the grate and onto the pizza.

We make our own simple pizza crust with Italian herbs mix mixed in, then garlic and bell pepper flavored alfrado sauce, then the chicken, bacon pieces, and pepper/onion. On to the grill, rotating half way through, with each pizza taking about 10 minutes or so to cook on my lower output range on my grill.

For the ultimate, same thing as above but throw on the added topping, but save the green onions until right before we go to pull it off so they don't get wilted and soggy. If it's extremely windy and cold out and my thin walled gas grill is fighting, we'll finish in the over under the broiler, but most of the time we're good since I made my aluminum foil method to keep heat and smoke in.

Kids always make a cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza, and my MIL taught them to make calzones, but we try to limit those to one calzone split between the two of them, cause of the high carb and low protein.

For me (forget three!) it's garlic sauce, mozzarella and cheddar, grilled chicken, mushrooms, red onions, Italian seasoning, green onions and tomatoes.

If I'm limited to 3 (not counting sauce and cheese) then it's going to be pepperoni, black olives and pineapple.

Ultimate... hmmm.... pepperoni, salami, italian sausage, bacon crumbles, red onion, roasted garlic cloves, black olives, mushrooms, diced green bell peppers, finished with a spicy ranch drizzle.

Single topping: there's a place up here that does a bay shrimp pizza and it's killer. Not something you would usually think of on pizza, but I love it.

If I'm limited to 3 (not counting sauce and cheese) then it's going to be pepperoni, black olives and pineapple.

Ultimate... hmmm.... pepperoni, salami, italian sausage, bacon crumbles, red onion, roasted garlic cloves, black olives, mushrooms, diced green bell peppers, finished with a spicy ranch drizzle.

Single topping: there's a place up here that does a bay shrimp pizza and it's killer. Not something you would usually think of on pizza, but I love it.

We go to St George Island in FL panhandle chasing pompano couple times in the spring, and there's a pizza place there that has a pesto and grilled shrimp pizza that's really good. Agree that it doesn't sound...odd, but it's good.

I'd like a good alfrado sauced scallop, shrimp, crab, and maybe clam pizza, mmmmmm.

I'd like a good alfrado sauced scallop, shrimp, crab, and maybe clam pizza, mmmmmm.

Oh, I'd be all over that! The place up here does red sauce with the shrimp but I bet pesto or white sauce would be great

Italian sausage, sliced salami, mushrooms….green peppers.

Or

Sausage, Canadian bacon, pepperoni, …..bacon.

Sweet Italian sausage, pepperoni, and fresh basil, if I had to choose one combo above all others.

N5HdEyR.jpg

Do seasonings count?

My go to is a plain cheese pizzeria slice with salt, garlic powder, grated parmesan, and red pepper flakes.

Easy for me. An homage to home on two fronts. Sicilian with mild Italian sausage, peppers and onions. Reminds me of the Jersey boardwalks (north, of course).

Sweet Italian sausage, pepperoni, and fresh basil, if I had to choose one combo above all others.

N5HdEyR.jpg

I'd tear that thing up!!! I always struggle on a gas grill or even oven to get those little, tiny crispy dark bubbles/marks on the crust that looks like yours. That come out of some type of pizza oven?

Back