KCBS Team of Year bonus points drops again to 25 teams

The reps could run the program after all of the judges arrived and the number of teams is set and give out table assignments.

This is something that would be very beneficial to 100% of the teams and seems like it deserves more attention than the finishing order of the top 2%.

Remember who is on the BOD. Reps are on the BOD. They had to damn near re-write all the rules because of pork separating. Instead of just having the reps do spot checking and not having to change all the rules. Over the years, there have/has not been too many rules that were made to favor the cooks. At least that is my opinion. A lot of candidates for election claim they are cooks and then forget about them once elected. I get the feeling that reps don't want to really do anything extra. OK, certain reps don't want to do anything extra.

So, with your proposal, there is more value to getting RGC with 80 teams than there is to winning with 75?

Yes, 4 more points. In essence that means the team at the 80 team contest likely had one more table of judges to contend with. The more judges and teams thrown into the mix, the tougher the odds of winning. Take the competitor's emotional view of a RGC vs GC out of it. It's just numbers.

Yes, 4 more points. In essence that means the team at the 80 team contest likely had one more table of judges to contend with. The more judges and teams thrown into the mix, the tougher the odds of winning. Take the competitor's emotional view of a RGC vs GC out of it. It's just numbers.

I'll agree to disagree:biggrin1:

How about having a 10 contest series nation wide all teams that want to be TOY commit in January. You must cook all contests and all contests count. There's no reason why KCBS can't market this to a presenting sponsor. If you truly want to be TOY then you should have to compete all year long with the same teams. If we want to grow this sport a decision has to be made. Do we stay on this side of the road or do cross it.

How about having a 10 contest series nation wide all teams that want to be TOY commit in January. You must cook all contests and all contests count. There's no reason why KCBS can't market this to a presenting sponsor. If you truly want to be TOY then you should have to compete all year long with the same teams. If we want to grow this sport a decision has to be made. Do we stay on this side of the road or do cross it.

Bingo

We cook 8-14 contests per year. We have NEVER chosen a contest based on TOY Points. We FREQUENTLY choose contests based on contest being a Jack & Royal qualifier.

98% of the cooks that do KCBS contest have absolutely no stake in the TOY points chase other than it is entertaining to watch. Heck, it may be even better than reality TV which I surf past rapidly.

I think that 100% of the teams that cook at KCBS sanctioned contest would prefer this type of effort be put into the judging process to make it more consistent.

Something to think about (for whatever it may be worth). I pulled these numbers from KCBS.us today. The totals by category may be off by one or two due to ties, and the average number of contests per team in each category is my own assumption/estimate (just split the range on each, with the exception of the 5 or less category, for which I shot low due to the large number of one-and-done teams).

380CD7A7-51F7-4862-8CBB-18CC612022FE.png

Last edited:
One interesting thing I noticed after looking at the above was that there are some discrepancies in the KCBS data. For example, several teams that cooked at the Dillard GA event in 2015 do not appear on the list at all.

This I discovered after making a spot check because I cooked this event. Makes you wonder what other data errors there are.

One interesting thing I noticed after looking at the above was that there are some discrepancies in the KCBS data. For example, several teams that cooked at the Dillard GA event in 2015 do not appear on the list at all.

This I discovered after making a spot check because I cooked this event. Makes you wonder what other data errors there are.

KCBS.us data only includes KCBS member teams. That may or may not be the cause of the omission of those specific teams, but to my knowledge there's no requirement that a team's head cook be a KCBS member for most contests (excluding Sam's Club, etc.). BBQScores.com lists them all, but for the above purposes I'm only interested in teams that have the right to vote.

KCBS.us data only includes KCBS member teams. That may or may not be the cause of the omission of those specific teams, but to my knowledge there's no requirement that a team's head cook be a KCBS member for most contests (excluding Sam's Club, etc.). BBQScores.com lists them all, but for the above purposes I'm only interested in teams that have the right to vote.

Nope, it's not that.
Here are a few of the teams I saw are missing, just from my spot check of Dillard 2015:

• Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse
  • Grillin' Gangsters
  • Dustin & Rubbin Cookin Crew
  • Smokin Suwanee Sweetmeats

The first are listed as teams on the KCBS site, so we know it's not the lack of membership there. My guess is that the TOTY data does not list any teams with less than 50 points. That doesn't make any difference for the primary purpose, but it does mean you can't use the data to do a statistical analysis of all KCBS teams since a large quantity of data points are missing.

I was going to re-run the same call with BBQ Scores data, but it's unusable for these purposes due to duplicate names, etc. showing up (e.g. just a brief glance at the "competing in 1" category showed numerous well-known teams with slight spelling or punctuation differences). So KCBS.us seems to be the only data available, even if it is missing some of the less-than-5 teams (I doubt too many registered teams cooking more than 5 are missing, unless the cook just never bothers with listing his member number on applications).

As in interested bystander (a 98%er), didn't the BOD also vote to change the scoring to 300 points for a GC and 10 points less for the subsequent teams down to 25th place? If so, the points race is going to be much closer regardless of the team count they ultimately decide to use. After voting for the 300 point system, the BOD should do away with team count bonuses. Teams that travel hundreds of miles to avoid other teams will do so regardless of the bonus points awarded, that's human nature.

Benny

The first post in this thread started one section later than the part I am referring to. That part was passed unanimously. Both sections are parts of #6 of the rules committee motions brought to the BODs. I have no personal knowledge of teams avoiding each other. I hope I'm incorrect about that.

I tried to copy/paste the section but it didn't seem to work for me. Please look at the quick notes from the Nov. meeting, rules committee, part 6, 1st paragraph.

Last edited:
Here is what Benny is referring to:

6. Move to change the spread of points for placement at the event to start at 300 and go down 10 points through the 25th place. 26th place and down will be valued at 50 points (plus the added bonus points for team participation at the contest). 2ND HAYS. SIMMONS: HOW DOES THIS MAKE TIES LESS LIKELY? RICHTER: TEAMS WITH 30-40 CONTESTS AND ODD NUMBER OF ADDED POINTS, THIS WILL SPREAD THIS SO THAT 1ST. ADDING MORE POINTS INTO SYSTEM, GOING ALL THE WAY UP TO 300. THIS GIVES MORE TEAMS THE POTENTIAL TO MOVE UP IN TEAM OF THE YEAR STANDINGS.

ROLL CALL: PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

I've always thought something like this would be a great way to have a real "Competition Pitmasters" TV show. Have several teams, require them to cook 10 out of 15 selected contests... Follow them all season. Tally the points for the 10 they choose to cook. It would/could represent "Competition BBQ" well.

Seems as if it could work for TOY as well... and even provide an in for more exposure via Television etc... assuming those competing would be willing to be "personalities" etc.

Back