First SCA (Steak) Cookoff Thoughts

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
I've wanted to compete in an SCA comp for a while now, so last year I took their judging class, and then judged a live major competition so I would have a good idea as to what wins and what does not. I was scheduled to compete last year, but cut my thumb badly in practice and had to pass (Love my new Ken Onion knife sharpener!).

For those of you interested in SCA competition, I thought I would share some thoughts.

- I really need a trailer! I made lists of everything I would need, much like in my old catering days. Carefully laid out all my stuff and still didn't have room for that with my two kids and a German Shepherd. Thoughts of how easy it would be to pack a trailer and just leave it packed for the next competition had me trolling Craigslist for used trailers the very same day!

SCA 5-4-19 I Need a Trailer by David Miller, on Flickr

- Family fun. Having my kids off of video games and outdoors striking up conversations with complete strangers all day was priceless. Many nice folks at this event. Kids and dog all slept in the shade when they were tired.

SCA 5-4-19 Son & Dog by David Miller, on Flickr

- Steak Selection. 35 teams competing yesterday. You draw numbers to determine steak selection order for two rounds of steak selection. My number was 25 out of 35 meaning I was the 25th team to select steaks on the first round, then they reverse the order and I should have been number 10 out of 35 on the second round. I had two issues here. The contest I had judged previously put out additional steaks between round one and round two which made things a little more fair. Round two yesterday was picking from the leftovers of round one. My other issue was more than ten people lining up in front of me for the second round of selection (I should have been #10). The SCA rep could have made another announcement as to how the reverse order worked and monitored that better. I said something but no one did anything.

On a personal note I can pick out the best Ribeye in the grocery store in about five seconds. You have thirty seconds in SCA to pick your steak, but you are looking at 30 plus steaks and I found myself going into paralysis! Also, the person in front of you always seems to pick the steak you had your eye on so you must find a new one!

SCA 5-4-19 Steak Selection by David Miller, on Flickr

Ancillary/Appetizers. One of the things I did not consider was cooking an appetizer on my grill, then having to cook steaks on the same grill shortly afterwards. I used a small amount of Charcoal on my appetizer, but it still produced ash and they did not have ash cans out at that point so I just piled fresh, lit charcoal on top and one side of my grill ended up being much hotter than the other for steaks. My appetizer was an Epic Fail!!! 24th out of 35 entries. Late at night I came up with a Grilled Spam with Bacon Jam Slider concept. My Bacon Jam was killer, but my Slider Buns barely fit the comp box, and I had to put toothpicks in at an angle to get them to fit. I also had large slices of Spam showing off my grill marks but no one cared...…..

SCA 5-4-19 Grilled Spam with Bacon Jam by David Miller, on Flickr

- Turn In. The steaks had huge tails so I did a pretty solid trim job and tied them into a nice shape. Unfortunately after cooking my larger steak pulled apart and looked terrible, so I went with my smaller #2. Made a rookie error and turned in too quickly. The judges are supposed to look at each steak on it's own individual merits, but it's human nature to compare what has come before, and if you are the first to go the judges have nothing to compare to. There were some serious competitors there, and when I saw everyone light grills I assumed it was go time. I got my PK nice and hot and I was worried that it would come down in temperature if I waited longer, so I cooked and let rest for twenty minutes, but turned in right at the start. Lesson learned was to stick with my plan and not worry about what everyone else was doing! I know my flavor was good, but my steak had a small spinalis and I know I lost appearance points. Finished 16th out of 35 teams which was very disappointing to me, but you do the best you can with what you have. There were a few other well-known teams that didn't place in the top ten so I didn't feel too bad!

SCA 5-4-19 Steak by David Miller, on Flickr

Ultimately I'm more than ready to do it again, but it would be nice to try and find someone to compete with me as my kids are still young. I was envious of the teams that had three or four adults packing up tents, chairs, grills, etc. and breaking down in a matter of minutes, and very envious of those with small trailers. I smell a new addiction coming on...….

Great post. I've been to two SCA events as an observer and learned a lot just by watching and talking to people. I'm undecided if I actually want to compete though.

Most of the teams that I saw did not have trailers but did have pickup trucks.

You should probably have your own small metal bucket to put ash and hot coals in after your ancillary cook so you can start fresh with your steak cook. You can then dump your bucket into their's later on.

Some of the guys at the ones that I went to had two grills. One they used for the appetizers and one for the steaks and most teams did have more than one person to make the process easier.

Good luck on your next one.

Sorry you were disappointed! You will have to do it again soon! Maybe tweak your steak and see?

As someone who has never competed in food-related contests, I am curious as to what motivates people to compete in BBQ comps, steak cook-offs, home brew competitions etc.?

As someone who has never competed in food-related contests, I am curious as to what motivates people to compete in BBQ comps, steak cook-offs, home brew competitions etc.?

I often thought I'd want to get into the BBQ competition. As the years have gone by, and my motivation slowly dissipates, I've decided that I'll compete in at least one KCBS event just to check it off my bucket list.

Fun and comradery.

Yep! If it ever stops being fun, we're done!

Plus, the people who we have met through BBQ and steak competitions are wonderful! We refer to them as our BBQ Family! Yes, we compete, but we are all cheering for each other and just enjoy hanging out and talks, drinking, etc.

Nice write up Bacchus! I understand the desire for a trailer! When we do a standalone steak cook off we can fit everything into our small SUV, but we only have two people. It is a tight fit even then!

16 out of 35 doesn't seem that bad to me for your first comp steak cook... That's better than I did in my first one.

Heck, there is plenty of spinalis for 5 bites in that box. I think the appearance looks good.

20 min rest seems a little long to me, but it sounds like you may not have planned that long.

Also, I took way too much stuff to my first SCA cook. It looks like you have an SUV, but all of my gear fits EASILY into the short bed of an F150. I would try to strip down to only what you really need and try one more before you buy a trailer.

- Turn In. I know my flavor was good, but my steak had a small spinalis and I know I lost appearance points.

I forgot that I wanted to comment on this. The steak will be cut approximately in half before the judges see it. Appearance is judged on the top half of the steak, so the spinalis is not part of the appearance score.

Good info - thinking of doing my first in a month or so, so I'm trying to absorb info on what to do. Ive' done KCBS/FBS but they're not as fun as they used to be when I first got into the hobby. SCA sounds like fun times worst or first matters not & you don't have to spend NASCAR sponsor money to have a chance.

Just like MOST comps.Good food does not win.Malcolm Reed told me that his winning steak in a SCA cook off was so salty it made him embarrassed to turn it in.You have to ruin a good steak to make it stand out and get the votes.I can see where it would be a fun,not too much money spent gig to try,but I gotta find out more about it first.

Back