Need y’alls opinion on this

Smokenrt

Hello everyone I need y’alls help with this competition changing the rules around. Me and my wife have competed in this little competition for the last 2 years. It was where we first started to compete and see what it was like to do a competition and we fell in love with doing them. There is NO entry fee 50% of the ticket sales are donated to a different organization every year. The othe 50% of ticket sales goes to the business that puts on the contest. There is NO cash payouts just trophies and bragging rights. This is very long post and I’m sorry but we really need y’alls help. THANK YOU in advance.

Here is what was sent out last week.

Hey Everyone!

I hope this email finds all of you well. Winter is almost over and April will be here before you know it! That means it’s almost BBQ time!!
Let me say that I have appreciated your willingness to compete in the contest in the past and I am really hoping to see all of you again this year!
There are some things that will be different this year that will make the contest bigger and better. First and foremost, the recipient of this year’s fundraising will be The Cindy Platt Boys’ and Girls’ Club of Transylvania County!! We are very honored to support such a fine organization! They have the ability to really promote this event. Along with some other changes, this event should be much better attended by the public. We are excited about the other changes as well:
· Peoples’ Choice judging lasts the entire festival. There will be no meat inspection prior to cooking this year. Contestants will need to be ready to pass out samples starting when the festival opens. Whatever you need to do to make that happen is fine. Product turned in for blind judging should be cooked onsite as we have done in the past.
· We are adding contests for beans, slaw, and sauce this year for any who want to enter. These contest are not required to be considered for grand champ but will be fun. You will be passing out samples of these to the public for their vote as well. Thus, making the samples passed out more like a mini meal. These items can also be turned in for blind judging consideration as well.

I am attaching this year’s entry form as well as more detailed Festival Info. Please fill out and return ASAP by way of email or. If you have any questions or comments you can respond to this email or call me. Thank you all in advance for your continuing participation in what is sure to become a county tradition!

2018 Smokin’ on the River BBQ Contest and Fundraiser
A Festival to raise money for the Cindy Platt Boys’& Girls’ Club of Transylvania County.
Festival Details:
 Contest- BBQ Teams compete for prizes in the following categories:
-Pork Shoulder/Butt for Blind Judging* (where Judges samples from teams without knowing which team BBQ it is).
-Pork Ribs for Blind Judging.*
-Pork shoulder/butt Peoples’ Choice.* People sample BBQ from teams and vote on their favorite.
-Grand Champion Award
*Teams must enter all three to be considered for Grand Champion Award.
 Festival Hours:
April 27th 5pm-10pm
April 28th 10am-5pm
During these hours there will be:
- Music (Barn Stage and Pavilion)
-BBQ samples available for tasting and voting pleasure. (Pulled pork, slaw, beans). Sampling and voting cut off at 3pm Saturday the 28th.
-Awards Ceremony and Fundraising Check Presentation around 4pm Saturday the 28th. -Beverages available at both the Pavilion and Barn Stage areas. Food available at the Pavilion as well.
 Music
There are two areas for music:
-The Pavilion: Acoustic/lightly amplified music. Food and drink available.
-Barn Stage: Amplified music. This is the area where the teams will be passing out their samples to hopefully get voted Peoples’ Choice Champ. Beverages and vendors are located in this area as well.
Times available for musical acts are as follows and available at both the Pavilion and Barn stages:
-Friday 5:30-7:30, 8-10pm
-Saturday 11-1, 1:30-3:30 or 4pm

 Contestants
Teams will be allowed to set up as early as Thursday if Needed. Sites are 20’x20’ and are first come, first served. You can come Thursday to “save” your spot. In previous years, I have required all product used for entry be inspected to ensure product is in original packaging and held at safe temperature. This year, our main objective is to be ready to hand out samples starting at 5pm, Friday the 27th. Teams must be set up and ready to go by that time. Peoples’ Choice voting lasts from Friday the 27th at 5pm until Saturday the 28th at 3pm. Whichever team gets the most votes will be the Peoples’ Choice Champion and be eligible to be considered for Grand Champion! Teams are encouraged to keep sample sizes small so people can taste as many teams food as possible. For the first time, this year, we will have contests for sauce, slaw and beans including Peoples’ Choice! 2oz. portion cups are provided.
-Teams must have “Blind Judging” containers turned in to Pavilion Judging area by 12 noon Saturday the 28th. Both pulled pork and ribs must be turned in to be considered for Grand Champion Award. “Blind Judging” will also include sauce, beans, and slaw. Teams will turn in (2) 2oz. portion cups of each entry they wish to be judged. These “mini contests” are not required to enter to be considered for Grand Champ.
Unless teams want a cash prize, team entry is free. This can be decided at the early “Cooks’ Meeting”, date TBD.
 Admission
Admission price is $15 per adult, kids are free. Admission price gets you in to hear music and sample BBQ until you pop. Half the ticket sale proceeds go directly to the Boys’ & Girls’ Club in the form of a check presented during the Awards ceremony. A separate donation area is recommended as well. This can be at the admissions area and/or the Vendors’ area.

That's a lot of work and expense for no monetary prize. You're going to need extra people to handle the freebies, plus the sample containers and silverware.

Do y’all think it’s right that they are asking for Teams that want to have a shot at Grand Champion MUST compete in People’s Choice? They are wanting teams to serve samples to people on Friday night 5-10 and Saturday 10am-5pm.

They do the same thing at the Smoke On The Harbor contest here in Charleston SC...

Many teams have declined to cook the contest for the same reason.

Sounds like some guy named Bob has a great idea (in his own mind) and is just marching forward without much fore-thought.
It wouldn't be something I'd interested in.
Ed

Is the change the mandatory PC component? Either way, I wouldn't be interested in it specifically because of the mandatory partcipation, especially since you have to serve it yourself.

Combine that with no prize pool AND I have to provide all the meat to serve to these masses? No thanks. We do PC sometimes, but only if either the payout is worthwhile, or the meat itself is provided. Never if we have to serve it.

I do contests where PC is voluntary (don’t do them).

I never enter ones where it is mandatory.

That's a lot of dang meat that needs to be held at temp for a long dang time mandatory for no payout.

Our local competition did something similar to this a few years ago. They quit being a KCBS competition and went down their own path. They had 8 teams last year, mostly local businesses looking to get their name out like banks and fireplace store that sells green eggs ect. It is hard to ask the average bbq competitor to donate that much time and money with no chance of breaking even.

We are supposed to be setting down this Saturday with the guy that’s throwing the Comp. The meeting is going to be on these changes that he’s made. For instance last year We picked out our spot on Thursday, Friday we setup had meat inspections and started cooking that night, Saturday was Bind box turn in at 12 with PC starting at 12:15. Friday night admission was $8 and it was a meet and greet. But people complained about there was NO BBQ for them to eat. So Bryan the guy throwing the Comp wants the Teams to provide the meat and sides and serve Mini Meals. At this point he’s Not going to supply any meat or sides for this.

So he wants the teams to subsidize his little festival with zero chance of a return on that investment?

And he is charging an entry fee, the teams don’t get a cut of that either?

It would be a no-go for me

Reading the above, this is not really a contest but a charity setup with a trophy given out to likely the person that gives away the most free food.

If you are there to compete in a blind judged format, this is not it per the PC being included as well. If you are going to lose your money I would say take a pass on this and go to a sanctioned event.

So he wants the teams to subsidize his little festival with zero chance of a return on that investment?

And he is charging an entry fee, the teams don’t get a cut of that either?

It would be a no-go for me

No payouts none. The entry fee this year is $15 for visitors and it’s Free for Teams. He started this Comp to help a good cause and bring out the backyard bbq cooks for some fun. But it’s Strayin Far from that.

I’m hoping that my team and a few others will be able to change his mind on it before to many people see the FB posting and plan on All you can Eat BBQ for $15. I’m wanting him to add another meat like Brisket. At this time it’s only been Pulled Shoulder/Butt and Pork Ribs. Last year I asked on why we didn’t have a 3rd meat and make PC a separate deal altogether and it having No influence on the Grand. His answer was “I want this to be affordable for the Teams”.

I would pass on that contest.

We do a contest in Chicago that is a fundraiser for a school. There's a people's choice award given and we are also judged by a team of bbq chefs/restaurateurs. Teams are randomly paired with local breweries and we create a pork dish served with one of their beers. 8 pork butts and all serving dishes are provided to each team. We provide whatever else we need - charcoal, additional ingredients, etc. But, we are reimbursed up to $100. There's no cash prize, but we get trophies, just about all the free beer we can drink, hob nob with some pretty great bbq/beer guys... and it is for a good cause. It's a ton of fun and seems to be right along the lines of how the contest you are asking about started. Most of the folks that cook it have kids that go to the school and are just backyard guys. Me and 2 other guys cook overnight and the rest of our team arrives Saturday morning. They work our table for a little while then we let them have at the other food and drinks; they get free admission. We cook it because, #1, it is fun and we love the creativity aspect of it. The endless supply of craft beer for almost 2 whole days doesn't hurt.

Your organizer needs to reach out to potential sponsors - meat providers, etc.

Understand that this isn't a BBQ competition. It's you signing up to feed people on your dime. If 100% of the money went to the charity I'd consider cooking it, but with only 50% going to charity and the other 50% going in someone's pocket I'd be out.

People's choice is sometimes mandatory at contests in CA but it's gotten to the point where some teams have such a great system for PC that they no longer have to make it mandatory for all the other teams. Just cook a couple pork butts then sell out :loco:

Back