THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mUGyF8Pl.jpg

not a good picture, but just one of the burgers I smoked at the weekend.

I'll no doubt flood this thread with the pork this weekend, success or fail! :)

I had some mesquite & hickory chunks arrive today - they're pretty expensive in the UK assumingly because it's mainly flown in across the pond. It's around £10-11 ($17?) for 2kgs (roughly 5lbs).

Hi gents.

Just rubbed the butt (olive oil, salt + pepper). I also cut the skin and the majority of the fat off.

Here it is au naturel...

i8arMSDh.jpg

There's a couple of bones in it - one is like a blade, and the other appears to be the start of the ribs. So I hope it's the right cut of meat.

I gather it's around 5lbs - so I guess a circa 5 hour cook.

I've also saved the skin, chopped it into small pieces and marinaded it in garlic, salt, pepper & olive oil. I was going to toss it into the oven tomorrow on a high heat - any recommendations on cooking the skin on high heat?

Other than that, in the morning here goes nothing. :)

Thanks chaps. Just checked temps and broken 150. So hopefully on the last bit now. Got stuck at 140 odd for a bit.

As I rotated it, a chunk of bark came off and pulled some very pink tender pork with it. If the rest tastes like that I'm in for a treat. Can't wait.

Thank you. It's 8 hours now and it's only like 5.5lbs max!

It's quite difficult to get decent BBQ food round here. When I went from Vegas to phoenix a few years back with a couple of good friends, we stopped at a place called meet at joes. It was so good! Never get anything like that over here.

Went to a place in London a couple of weeks back which had rave reviews but it wasn't good at all. If someone made a really good, authentic american BBQ around here it would be a hit for sure. Simple menu, big pits, big flavours, huge plates :)

Sorry forgot to update this with some photos. Better late than never.

mac & cheese

TusY0V1h.jpg

the pork!

U0sNgrfh.jpg

the crackling (chucked in the oven on high heat in oil & seasoning)

nXCiCAqh.jpg

The reason I remembered this thread is because I put some of the mac & cheese and the rest of the pork in the freezer; I've defrosted it, covered it in tin foil and chucked it in the oven to have with a rare sirloin steak & shallots for dinner. :)

Back