Just bought a smoker...

mUGyF8Pl.jpg

not a good picture, but just one of the burgers I smoked at the weekend.

I'll no doubt flood this thread with the pork this weekend, success or fail! :)

I had some mesquite & hickory chunks arrive today - they're pretty expensive in the UK assumingly because it's mainly flown in across the pond. It's around £10-11 ($17?) for 2kgs (roughly 5lbs).

Hi gents.

Just rubbed the butt (olive oil, salt + pepper). I also cut the skin and the majority of the fat off.

Here it is au naturel...

i8arMSDh.jpg

There's a couple of bones in it - one is like a blade, and the other appears to be the start of the ribs. So I hope it's the right cut of meat.

I gather it's around 5lbs - so I guess a circa 5 hour cook.

I've also saved the skin, chopped it into small pieces and marinaded it in garlic, salt, pepper & olive oil. I was going to toss it into the oven tomorrow on a high heat - any recommendations on cooking the skin on high heat?

Other than that, in the morning here goes nothing. :)

Just under 3 hours in

dhhNzENh.jpg

Trying to keep it between 250-300... sometimes going over, sometimes going under. Keeping it under control the best I can.

Thanks chaps. Just checked temps and broken 150. So hopefully on the last bit now. Got stuck at 140 odd for a bit.

As I rotated it, a chunk of bark came off and pulled some very pink tender pork with it. If the rest tastes like that I'm in for a treat. Can't wait.

Thank you. It's 8 hours now and it's only like 5.5lbs max!

It's quite difficult to get decent BBQ food round here. When I went from Vegas to phoenix a few years back with a couple of good friends, we stopped at a place called meet at joes. It was so good! Never get anything like that over here.

Went to a place in London a couple of weeks back which had rave reviews but it wasn't good at all. If someone made a really good, authentic american BBQ around here it would be a hit for sure. Simple menu, big pits, big flavours, huge plates :)

Sorry forgot to update this with some photos. Better late than never.

mac & cheese

TusY0V1h.jpg

the pork!

U0sNgrfh.jpg

the crackling (chucked in the oven on high heat in oil & seasoning)

nXCiCAqh.jpg

The reason I remembered this thread is because I put some of the mac & cheese and the rest of the pork in the freezer; I've defrosted it, covered it in tin foil and chucked it in the oven to have with a rare sirloin steak & shallots for dinner. :)

Back