Jamaican jerk chicken wings featuring Oak Ridge BBQ Jah Love

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I thought I would try out the Oak Ridge BBQ Jah Love seasoning on some chicken wings tonight. I really liked their Carne Crosta rub and had high hopes for this one.

They recommended mixing it with equal parts peanut oil and seasoning, but I didn't have any and substituted canola oil instead. Next time I will try peanut oil. I used 3 Tbsp of oil and 3 Tbsp of rub and let it marinate on the chicken for 24 hours.

I used pimento wood chips and cooked the chicken at 300* indirect for about 40 minutes, and then bumped up the temp to 400* and cooked direct until it had a nice black and red hue to it. The more I use the Primo XL the more I appreciate the 2 zone cooking.

The wings had just the right amount of heat without being overwhelming, I really liked it. Next up....Oak Ridge BBQ Black Ops on a brisket.

Last edited:
Love the Jah Love. Haven't found an Oakridge product I don't like. Black ops is my go to on brisket and beef ribs. Dominator Rib Rub is my go to for....well ribs of course. Used the Carne Crosta last week on a tri tip and loved.

The Habanero Death Dust is freaky hot. Try that on some wings too some time!

Your wings look great !!!!

I agree, too, on the 2-zone kamados. Mighty easy to run and yield outstanding results. It's simply hard to beat a well laid out Kamado grill.

Tried some last week and enjoyed it.

Walkerswood is great, but it comes across as very salty. The Jah Love had a nice balanced flavor.

Black Ops is my favorite brisket rub by a huge margin. I don't even mess around with any other rubs for brisket. This is hands down the family favorite.

I just picked up a pack of Dominator last week. I'm going to try it on some gameday ribs this weekend and see how it goes in a head-to-head comparison against Cimarron Docs (my favorite on trimmed spares and baby backs for a loooong time). Looking forward to it.

Your wings look great !!!!

Walkerswood is great, but it comes across as very salty. The Jah Love had a nice balanced flavor.

Yeah, that was my takeaway as well. Walkerswood is the only jerk seasoning I've ever used, so I had nothing else to compare it to until now. I do like that Jah Love is less salty and lets some of the other flavors come through better.

Killer looking wings brother.

We love some Jah Love at my house as well. I was out of peanut oil a while back and used EVOO instead. I actually like the flavor better than with the peanut oil.

Killer looking wings brother.

We love some Jah Love at my house as well. I was out of peanut oil a while back and used EVOO instead. I actually like the flavor better than with the peanut oil.
Good to know, we never keep peanut oil but I did pickup a qt for the Jah Love.

Oak Ridge makes very good rubs, no doubt but Marty's own recipe for an authentic Jerk rub would probably put it to shame! Still, those wings look terrific. How was the taste test?
Mac

Back