Its started - Christmas Day cook NZ

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Hi there

On the basis of the fact that Mt Hikurangi on the East Cape of the North Island is the place that gets the first light of a new day, every day, perhaps this is amongst the first of the Christmas Day cooks for 2020!? Small family do, cooking up plenty. Sent this photo to my vegetarian daughter in Philly, she was not amused.

Bottom is a half rack of beef short ribs with Black Ops - a "half" is something they do down this way that I like because for small/older people a full rib can be too much, but with a half each serving is a good size and can include a bone which is part of the fun. Top is a roti lamb shoulder, reported here previously, nothing on this one as with the roti I find that any rub/coating just drips off quickly.

You can see some strange upright bolts on the (lower) shelf - I use these to increase capacity in the WSM as they are spaced to fit a tray that has a wide lip (such as the beef is in) - I like cooking in trays. I may put an empty one in to catch the drips from the lamb, but I may not so the lamb drips onto the ribs. The ribs will take 4 hours and the shoulder 5 hours at 300F - lump with apple and manuka (local, very dense small tree, famous for its honey).

Have a thinnish pork belly to go on which I will cook to about 180 (any higher and it won't slice, just turns into pulled pork) and then grill the skin to a nice crackle. Finally, a steak for my son and one for my SIL - an aged T-bone and a nicely marbled sirloin. Will smoke to about 100-105, then reverse-sear on the remnants of the WSM coals. Inside, roasting two chickens in the oven so we are not overpowered by smoked meats, though chicks on the roti are a fave.

Anyway, that is what a BBQ Christmas looks like down this way, at least from the production end.

Hang in there, lotsa positive thoughts to youse guys and gals.

Attachments

• Chrissie2020-3.jpg
    Chrissie2020-3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 67
Back