Issue at a KCBS event

I was one of the reps that came to your cook site with the box. Kathy (the official rep who had the box) and I (a new rep who drove the golf cart) didn't know where you were located. We had asked Teresa to find out so that we wouldn't be riding through the entire site which would alert everyone that we had a DQ'd box. The 4-wheeler belonged to the contest organizer and they led us to you then drove off. You wife was outside the trailer and when we asked if we had Wicked Smoke's site she answered and asked what was wrong. Kathy showed her the entry and explained why it had to be DQd. Kathy handled this with the utmost of respect for your wife. She showed her the problem, closed the box and handed it to her and wished her luck with the other 3 entries telling her she still had an opportunity to finish well with 3 entries to go. I'm not surprised your neighbor came to ask what happened. All of the cook teams stop what they're doing and watch where a rep is going when one comes immediately following turn-in and has a white box in their hand. This is why we wanted to find out where you were located, so that few people would be aware of the issue. We hated the fact that your wife was upset, it upset Kathy to see her tear up the way she did but we assumed it was because the box was DQ'ed. I hope this explains happened and takes away a little of the sting.
Julie

That certainly clears things up. Emotions run high at times and I know when someone brings my wife to tears it makes me pretty upset. You might want to take back the desire to go whoop Kathy & Julie's asses though. Just saying.

I do agree, that if my woman comes to me, and is in tears, I am going to be a little upset. Until I get a reasonable explanation, I am going to need to hear a lot of reasons things couldn't have been handled better.

That being said, a lot of experienced cooks here have given the reasons that the notification was done the way it was done. I don't think there is ever an easy way to handle these things.

I was one of the reps that came to your cook site with the box. Kathy (the official rep who had the box) and I (a new rep who drove the golf cart) didn't know where you were located. We had asked Teresa to find out so that we wouldn't be riding through the entire site which would alert everyone that we had a DQ'd box. The 4-wheeler belonged to the contest organizer and they led us to you then drove off. You wife was outside the trailer and when we asked if we had Wicked Smoke's site she answered and asked what was wrong. Kathy showed her the entry and explained why it had to be DQd. Kathy handled this with the utmost of respect for your wife. She showed her the problem, closed the box and handed it to her and wished her luck with the other 3 entries telling her she still had an opportunity to finish well with 3 entries to go. I'm not surprised your neighbor came to ask what happened. All of the cook teams stop what they're doing and watch where a rep is going when one comes immediately following turn-in and has a white box in their hand. This is why we wanted to find out where you were located, so that few people would be aware of the issue. We hated the fact that your wife was upset, it upset Kathy to see her tear up the way she did but we assumed it was because the box was DQ'ed. I hope this explains happened and takes away a little of the sting.
Julie

Thank you for clarifying this. :thumb:

I do agree, that if my woman comes to me, and is in tears, I am going to be a little upset. Until I get a reasonable explanation, I am going to need to hear a lot of reasons things couldn't have been handled better.

:thumb: I agree I may have over reacted a little but Im the same as you. My wife does this because I love to do it, she is there to help me and I couldn't do it without her (well yea I could but it wouldn't be the same :heh:) so when she came in crying and told me what happen I was pissed (not at the DQ, again my fault) but at the way it happened. Now that I have a great explaination from Julie its said and done with. Already moved on to the next event.

Now that I have a great explaination from Julie its said and done with. Already moved on to the next event.

And I'm looking forward to meeting you and your wife at the next contest we find ourselves at when you're competing. I'm going to make it a point to come introduce myself. It has to be easier for both parties when you know the person who arrives at your trailer with your box in hand and they know you.

Julie

And I'm looking forward to meeting you and your wife at the next contest we find ourselves at when you're competing. I'm going to make it a point to come introduce myself. It has to be easier for both parties when you know the person who arrives at your trailer with your box in hand and they know you.

Julie

Not that I expect this to happen again. :oops:

Do you realize you could have had that explanation at about 1:50 on Saturday afternoon, if you wanted it?

I know things are crazy for about 2 hours on Saturday. Things happen. When they happen at the wrong time and it negatively impacts you, your emotions go crazy and you can't think straight for a while.

Everybody needs to realize that bad things are going to happen at BBQ contests. I know the explanation might have sounded differently Saturday, but you would have had it then. They don't come any better than Phillip and Kathy. The reps who get to train under them have some great teachers. I suspect those reps will do nothing but improve competition BBQ for years to come.

Lack of sleep...working hard on probably a GREAT turn in box... DQ...wife crying...

I'd want to whip some a$$, too. Sometimes things just come together in the worst combination. For me, I'd been MAJOR cranked at myself, which shows anger to those around me. We've all been there. Take a lesson from this and learn that everyone, from the reps, to your fellow competitors, to my wife want the best for you and your team.

This forum is a great place to post these kinds of issues and hopefully you get "yeah, I now see the issue and glad everyone is here to help me get through it".

It seems you've had great support in this thread and a really good explanation. Hope the sting has worn off.

Good luck in your next contest.

Que up the heartfelt apology from Wicked Smoke for overreacting to a situation where he only had half the story and throwing 2 fine KCBS reps under the bus in 3....2....never.

Even though Julie did a wonderful job of explaining the circumstances surrounding the event in question and Wicked Smoke is moving on to their next contest, Kathy & I just wanted to say how sorry we are that there was ANY misunderstanding in the way the DQ was communicated and in NO WAY was any disrespect intended. We actually take them personally, thinking maybe we didn't do a good enough job stressing to the cooks the importance of the small things.

Unfortunately, DQ's are part of our job, no matter how much we hate them. As a matter of fact, one reason it may have seemed rushed to you is that Kathy was needing to get back quickly, as I, myself, was headed in the other direction for another DQ! And even though three other reps were on hand to "watch things" while we were away, it was still OUR contest and we did not want to be away from the judge's tent any longer than needed.

Hopefully, this will shed just a little more light on the event and to Wicked Smoke, hopefully we will get to see you at another contest soon and get to visit with you in an "unofficial" capacity.

That's really not fair. You missed his response. It's 4 or 5 posts up.
To be fair Ron, I read it several times. I caught the part where he admitted he may have overreacted. I saw that he had already moved on after he got the whole story. What I didn't see was an apology for falsely accusing 2 KCBS Reps of disrespecting his wife.

Well, I'm just glad Julie and Kathy didn't find themselves getting "their asses whooped."

Maybe we all need to think a little longer before hitting the submit button, this is an overwhelmingly friendly board and community.

Well Wicked, totally bummed to hear about your DQ but honestly, it was a very minor infraction that got you DQ'd. It's just one of those things that you will never allow to happen again.

Try turning in 5 chicken thighs at your 1st KCBS event and you'll definitely get a visit from a rep. Now that's just flat out farking dumb....and yes, I did it.

Best of luck at your next event.

Back