Issue at a KCBS event

Reps don't typically have a map of the teams, so motorized conveyance is important when they have to go hunting a team in the middle of turn-ins when time is very short.

I believe the policy is that two reps go to the team when a DQ box turns up. If the contest provided four wheelers instead of a golf cart for the reps, they'd have to take both to cook site.

Personally, I approve of this practice. Once upon a time, teams weren't notified until after all categories were in of a DQ'ed box. With the new method, a lot of misunderstandings are cleared up by showing the cook that piece of raw chicken or toothpick. In some cases it actually saves newbie teams from future DQ's when they are unknowingly using illegal garnish.

Adrenalin is running high at these times and the frustration of a DQ makes it worse. Consider taking a deep breath and catching up on your sleep before you get too wound up over the incident.

Redux: Now that I've looked into the contest personally, I see that there were Reps in Training there, which explains the multi cart thing. The official reps for this contest were Phillip and Kathy Brazier, absolutely the finest Reps that KCBS has to offer. I've known them for years, and there is no way Phillip or Kathy are going to be rude to any cook at a contest. They are the height of professionalism at all times when working an event. Of course every one does stop, hold their breath and watch when a box comes back out of the judging tent - nobody wants to see a DQ on the way. I'm certain this was either a misunderstanding, or perhaps poor communication on the part of the RiTs.

Last edited:
I'm not mad over the DQ. I know the rules, it was my fault for not catching. However, I don't care how "rushed" you are taking 1-2 minutes to step inside instead to tell someone they are DQ'd would go a long ways.

As for disrespecting I'm only going on what my wife and witnesses told me.

So this past weekend we competed in a KCBS event in our home town. Our first turn in was chicken. While I was in the trailer (and mine you I'm the pitmaster) my wife comes in crying, so I ask whats wrong and she said they DQ'd our chicken (dummy me missed a small sliver of foil, no issue there, my fault). The issue I had was 4 event reps come hauling ass up in two four wheelers, hop out and look at my wife and say, are you Wicked Smoke BBQ. She says yes, and they say your chicken was DQ'd. Mind you now people are standing around watching this, people stop and watch. Even the cook team next to us (which happened to be friends) come over afterwards and ask what happened.

They never asked to the speak to me, they never said we have a issue do you mind if we talk about it either out here or inside. I have a big issue with how they treated my wife and if it weren't for her stopping me I was going to the judges tent to whoop someone's ass. So what actions can I do from here now that the contest is over with?
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you didn't actually see or hear any of what you allege happened but you want to throw 2 of the best KCBS reps out there under the bus based on hearsay?:roll:

I'd say get over getting DQ'd and embarrassed in front of your wife and friends, or find a different hobby.

Shake it off and just chalk it up to experience. We were DQ'ed for handing in a perfectly legal chicken entry once. Even though the rep screwed up, once the DQ is recorded they will not change it even if wrongly accessed. It was all part of the world famous on Long Island 2 Fat Polocks BBQ fried chicken fiasco.

The issue I had was 4 event reps come hauling ass up in two four wheelers, hop out and look at my wife and say, are you Wicked Smoke BBQ. She says yes, and they say your chicken was DQ'd. Mind you now people are standing around watching this, people stop and watch. Even the cook team next to us (which happened to be friends) come over afterwards and ask what happened.

So are they supposed to question if she is actually a member of the team because she is a woman? Thats pretty sexist. Of course people are going to watch. Hmmm, whats the KCBS reps doing out at a site mid turn ins? Like seeing the police at your neighbors house. And then claim that you would have gone to the tent yourself to throw down? wow.

Bottom line is it sucks...reps had 45 other teams to look after as well. They are doing you a big favor, and when you look back on this in a couple months you will see that. They find the first team member and notify, and move on. That is what to expect now on, but my gut says you won't let there be a second time.

It really does make reps sick to do DQ's, and they are usually available after awards to chat about what happened and most take pictures to show you what happened.

To be honest, reps get a horrible hand when it comes to this situation. Teams need to be calm when this happens, and need to talk thru, not yell thru it. MOST times the team screwed up, in the rare case it is the reps that flubbed, then calmly talk it out. There is no reason to go full on Guantanamo interrogater on person who truly cares about you, your feelings, and the bbq community. We've all been there, and it's how you handle it that will be remembered...

Remember its the reps rep that is on the line as well as the teams rep.

It totally sucks seeing reps walking toward teams during turnins, it feels like watching a man get carted off to the chair, "dead man walking!"

Last edited:
So are they supposed to question if she is actually a member of the team because she is a woman? Thats pretty sexist. Of course people are going to watch. Hmmm, whats the KCBS reps doing out at a site mid turn ins? Like seeing the police at your neighbors house. And then claim that you would have gone to the tent yourself to throw down? wow.

I agree with this.

If you don't want news going to your wife, tell her to say "he's inside" if someone asks for a team member.

And wanting to get physical with a rep because your wife cried over bad news? Poor form man, poor form.

By looking at the results, seems like you had a pretty tough cook all around. Take a breath and it seems if you and your wife get to spend time together competing, thats a win in my book. Shake it off. I doubt there is any good way to be told you are DQ'd. On to the next.

I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened. What has been described doesn't match with my personal experience with the Reps that were assigned to that contest. I can understand someone, not familiar with Philip becoming a little intimidated if he was rushed. He's not a small man.

I'd also suspect that anyone intent on whoopin his ass should probably pack a lunch.

Redux: Now that I've looked into the contest personally, I see that there were Reps in Training there, which explains the multi cart thing. The official reps for this contest were Phillip and Kathy Brazier, absolutely the finest Reps that KCBS has to offer. I've known them for years, and there is no way Phillip or Kathy are going to be rude to any cook at a contest. They are the height of professionalism at all times when working an event. Of course every one does stop, hold their breath and watch when a box comes back out of the judging tent - nobody wants to see a DQ on the way. I'm certain this was either a misunderstanding, or perhaps poor communication on the part of the RiTs.

I understand they may be some of the best reps out there but everyone has a bad day from time to time. I just think it could have been handled more offical then what happened, thats the part I'm made about, not the DQ. Hell It was my fault for missing it. I except that and will be more careful from now on.

I'd say get over getting DQ'd and embarrassed in front of your wife and friends, or find a different hobby.

Embarrassed, hardly. I've done worse things in my life to be embarrassed about :) As I said above, it wasn't the DQ, it was how it was handled.

I was at this contest. This was the Maggie Valley contest. Everybody can look it up and see who the reps were. Those that have cooked a contest under them know darn good and well that a DQ of a box, no matter the reason, is NOT handled in the manner that the OP described. It does not need to be said, but the reps handling this contest are the best there are.

There were two sets of additional reps there, I believe they were finishing training and getting some hands-on experience, but the reps listed on the KCBS page for this contest handled everything as usual. I'm sure one of the additional sets of reps in training is who notified you (your wife) of the DQ.

I have also seen a few notifications of a DQ box by the reps listed for this contest. The look on his face when taking the box back to the team is one of disgust, because he hates having to do it.

During the cooks' meeting, it was stressed in no uncertain terms by the reps asking the cooks to please take a second look at their boxes for anything that might cause a DQ...that the reps had seen an unusually high number of boxes this year that they had to DQ for a number of reasons (foreign objects being one).

There was also no 4-wheelers being used by the reps, only golf carts that I saw. This event was fairly crowded with spectators from the public, no there wasn't ANYONE, including event volunteers/workers 'flying around' on anything, be it gas-powered utility vehicles or golf carts.

I think you need to calm down some more and re-evaluate what happened. I have never experienced a DQ, I imagine it sucks out loud, but I have cooked a huge number of contests under the reps listed and I would bet the farm that they did not handle the situation as described.

The reps are 2 of my personal favorites (even though I've never gotten a call at contests they've officiated at -- but that's a cooking problem!)! I've been on the inside of judging tent (as a judge, TC and box renumberer) and know that they run a fair and absolutely clean contest.

It's hard to get a DQ anytime, but it's even harder when it's the first category. Makes the work of the rest of the contest bittersweet (yes, I know this first hand). I'd venture to say that most (if not every) cooks out here doing this have had a DQ at one time or another (and me, several times, but I'm a slow learner). In retrospect, it's easier to be DQ'ed for foreign object than DAL cause your food was bad (yep, me again).

Hope to see you out on the BBQ trail!

Back