Iowa Skinnies

Whitch do you like best Iowa Skinnies or grilled chicken

• Iowa skinnies

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Grilled chicken sandwitches

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
A lot of people like em the bigger the better. After years of eating tenderloins I have learned that the smaller the thicker rule works here in most cases. Of course you can make them as big and thick as you want, but when I go to the local grocery store I always ask for the smaller ones. Most folks go the other way though.

We had a local bar here in town named Abes Bar and Grill, they were well known here for there tenderloins. I remember my Dad taking me and my Mom to Abes on Friday nights for tenderloins. I also remember having one on the day I got married back in 1972. They closed a few years after that. Still think about those tenderloins. They made them just right.

Last edited:
2.jpg

Never been to Iowa...never heard of a Iowa Skinny; but any military Vet who ever served in Germany will certainly recognize a Schnitzel sandwich.

I'll have an Iowa Skinny and a Minnesota Fatty, and make it snappy cuz I'm in a gawt dang hurry!! :wink:

Never heard of Iowa skinnies, but I love the tenderloin sandwich. There is a great place near my office in Silvis Illinois called Porkies that serves them up just right! I love to go there from time to time.

Dang it...it's too late to drive to Iowa at this time of the night, but Im hankering to try one of these, sooner rather than later.

Anyone know if these have made it eastern WI? C'mon, we're only one state over. That's just a hoot and a holler away! And we got Germans in these parts. Somebody must make them around here!?

Looks similar to the place my father used to treat the family with the occasional tenderloin dinner with home made onion rings when I was a kid. 12th st tavern in Ft. Madison, IA.

I used to stop into the Augusta Tap whenever I get back to my hometown area, which hasn't been in years. The Augusta Tap, Augusta IA; and the Sterzings chips are pretty bad for you as well.

Augusta%20Tap_zpsk5didiej.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh I hate those sterzling chips. Tastes like someone wiped the floor of a donut factory with a slice of potato!

Spent 3.5 years in Germany eating fried Schnitzel on Brotchen with Pommes Frittes (fries) on the side, so voting for the Iowa Skinnies.

I also am an Iowa lifer and have never heard the term Iowa Skinny before. Just a tenderloin. Usually the hand cut ones are thicker and the machine made ones are thinner but never heard a different name used based on thickness.

I did learn some years ago that they seem to mainly exist in the Midwest/Iowa. I did some FEMA work years ago and most of the workers were from the South and they all went nuts over breaded tenderloins! They thought they were about the greatest thing ever created. Blew my mind they had never had them before.

I also agree on the Sterzings chips being bad. They have like a weird waxy coating on them and taste half stale. I've tried them twice and they were the same both times so I don't see trying them a third time.

Not even a question

I grew up in a small central Missouri town that had a local restaurant with a wet batter version instead of cornmeal or breadcrumb and it was something I tried to get as often as possible. I always had to order an extra bun and share because they were HUGE plate-size tenderloins. It shut down 10 years ago and I was disappointed a lot. The one in the picture looks supper good! I may have to find the place up north of here that makes them!

We just call them tenderloins around here. I had some friends from Alabama up deer hunting and made them some fresh cut from the loin and hand tenderized. You'd of thought those guys had died and gone to heaven!

Deer tenderloin sandwiches--I will definitely try that. Great idea.

kicking myself in the a** for not thinking of this and making some with this years tenderloins.

BTW--moved to IA in 2010. During all this time I've never hear the term IA skinny (not many things in IA are skinny, including me--definitely well-marbled so I fit in).

Tenderloins are awesome--they are everywhere here and even the bad ones are pretty good. The good ones are awesome--chicken sandwiched are not even close.

Back