I'm really sick of seeing "Build a UDS" on this site.

The Norco Redneck UDS thread is what led me to this site in 2008. I spent hours reading through that thread, which ultimately led me to building my own UDS the following year.

It's one thing to buy a ready made cooker, and entirely another to build one yourself, which opens up all sorts of options in terms of airflow control, diffuser vs no diffuser, different types of charcoal baskets, exterior color choices etc. It was an immensely satisfying experience to build my own customized cooker, and then put it to use. My first brisket was an outstanding success, especially for a first timer. I also found the UDS to be a wonderful chicken cooker when the vents were opened up all the way. Best Roadside chicken ever!

But, I became distracted by other cookers, and at one time several years ago, had an arsenal of 12 cooking contraptions, which included a Santa Maria, 2 Kamados, a KUDU, 2 kettles, 2 Blackstones, an offset etc. etc.

The UDS sort of fell by the wayside the past few years, and I even considered selling it as I used it so infrequently. And yet, today, I find myself planning some UDS rehab work to enhance airflow and start using it to smoke again.

I'd be a fool to let it go.

I've been a member of this site for close to seven years and I can't recall anyone ever saying "build a UDS." Also, I've never mentioned this before but I own a Pit Barrel Cooker, which is a drum smoker, and I love it.

iu

Last edited:
I was having a problem with weeds in my lawn a few years back. Someone said to "Build a UDS". I thought about it for a while, but ended up spraying some weed killer instead.

:behindsofa:

I bought a pbc bc of this forum, adding to my 22” kettle. It was fun, but I could not get over NOT being able to close it down. So, my wife gave me a 22” wsm for christmas. Bc of storage, ended up “loaning” it to my dad, where it now sits unused. Overtime, I went from completely full water pan and varying cook times, to using a dry water pan, to now no water pan or diffuser, essentially making it cook like a uds. I like the pit flavor it gives off and cooks are much more consistent, especially when cooking hot and fast. Now im looking at adding 4 hunsakers over the next year or two to take to comps.

I think the uds platform has its pros and cons for sure. Great small batch flavor. Great portability. Easy management allowing one to focus on something else. The cons are there too. When NOT hanging meat, you greatly decrease capacity. Lowering temps takes a while too

The one advantage a UDS has over other smokers is that once you realize you don't need it, you can use it as a burn barrel for your trash. :biggrin1: :twisted:

or in the case of my drum it can be mistaken for a trash can. no chit last rib comp I did some random lady actually lifted the lid and tried to throw her garbage in my cooker

OC0Z5Z1l.jpg

rumor has it she needed a tetanus shot afterwards

When I built mine I was strapped for cash and really missing good bbq. It's a cheap cooker, if built by minimal standards. I put a little more in mine than first intended. It's getting rusty in places but I cant find a source for drums close. I will build another one day. Probably a hanging style cooker instead of grates.

Some of those KCBS Comp guys can roll in with a couple hundred dollar UDS and consistently beat teams with a $10,000 smoker.

That said they have their place and several people love them. But fortunately I have not been bitten by the UDS bug as I am perfectly happy with my Deep South GC28.

But I have been bitten by the pellet cooker bug for home use.

My view on build a UDS is do it. I looked at that ever growing thread for years before finally building one along with one of my cooking partners. That has now turned into 7 built. 5-55 gallon drums and 2-85 gallon drums.

Before I go any further, let me throw out that I would never buy a barrel with a liner that I had to burn out and then wire brush down. The 55 gallon barrels I sourced originally contained cooking oil and had no liner. The 85 gallon drums were unlined and purchased new.

If you do not have a welder, I recommend that you buy bolt on parts from smokerbuilder.com. Frank has everything you need to get your drum up and running.

Robert

Question for Robert

My view on build a UDS is do it. I looked at that ever growing thread for years before finally building one along with one of my cooking partners. That has now turned into 7 built. 5-55 gallon drums and 2-85 gallon drums.

Before I go any further, let me throw out that I would never buy a barrel with a liner that I had to burn out and then wire brush down. The 55 gallon barrels I sourced originally contained cooking oil and had no liner. The 85 gallon drums were unlined and purchased new.

If you do not have a welder, I recommend that you buy bolt on parts from smokerbuilder.com. Frank has everything you need to get your drum up and running.

Robert

Where did you buy the unlined 85 gal drums?? can you double grate them?
might a weber 26 kettle lid fit them?? i built 3 uds 10 yrs ago reading rednecks thread. There still cookin. And honestly...i feel like they are really good for teaching the air in/heat out relationship.

Where did you buy the unlined 85 gal drums?? can you double grate them?
might a weber 26 kettle lid fit them?? i built 3 uds 10 yrs ago reading rednecks thread. There still cookin. And honestly...i feel like they are really good for teaching the air in/heat out relationship.

Follow the links below. The last time I contacted them, about a year ago, the 85 gallon drums were $150 and required a minimum order of four drums.

Yes you can put two racks in. I never tried the 26" Weber lid for fit but I should just to see.

Sooner Container, Inc.

Address: 2101 N 170th East Ave
Tulsa, OK ,

Phone: 918-234-0081
Fax: 918-234-0084

https://www.pipelinepackaging.com/
https://www.pipelinepackaging.com/8...salvage-drum-unlined-with-34-fitting-1a2x440s

Good luck,

Robert

Back