I'm really sick of seeing "Build a UDS" on this site.

medic92

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
It seems like any time there's a question about smokers or equipment or something, there's always one or several people who bleat out the same tired "Build a UDS!" line every chance they get. I don't care if the original question is asking about the best smoker to cook for 500 people every day or if it's for one person in the woods, someone is going to throw it in there. It's like some kind of sycophantic homage to the UDS.

Then I finally built a UDS.

Build a UDS people. You need one.

Build a UDS people. You need one.

I'll go along with that.

dnkO592.jpg

When I joined this site, UDS's were very much the rage- and for pretty good reasons. The UDS wave has died down over the years in favor of probably a dozen of the "next great thing"- but none have had that same combo of low price, ease of construction and ease of use. A well made UDS "just works". When someone is considering a smoker, "build a UDS" is not a jibe- it's good advice - but might get passed over for one reason or another.
Shame, that.

I'll never build a uds either. I don't like doing what I'm told!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Your experience is also mine. I hated drums just because so many said "build a drum"

I really prefer drums for brisket, the drippings on the coals gives me the smokiness I was looking for

I built a UDS about ten years ago. Learned a lot cooking on it. I don’t think I have used it in about 3 years or so. It cooks decent, but never enjoyed cleaning it out. Not super hard, but I always get greasy and dirty cleaning it.

If one has the tools it can be a satisfying project. It is not real difficult to do and you have a serious cooker when you are finished.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I had rather get the “Itch” than go to the trouble of messing with a drum.Hell,a WSM does the same damn thing if you remove the water bowl and you do not have to waste time building it.Just my humble opinion.My time is,well,not worth a lot,but I ain’t gonna spend it building no drum cooker.Those that like them and have the time,go for it.I understand.Just not my thing.

I have built several for myself and friends but no longer cook on them. They were a great tool in my learning curve for smoking meat and still have two of them but have not used one in several years now. I think they cook great but are far to much trouble to clean after a cook. I moved on to other smokers but have no regrets for the time I spent building and cooking on them.

I have no idea why I'd want one. Seems like a pain in the ass to get into these things. Maybe I'm missing something. I switched from an upright Brinkmann with a door on the side to a LSG offset and I love it.

But heck, I'm on a gun forum and the theme is "You will buy a Glock". Nope, not me. Not buying a Glock, not building a UDS.

I've been a member of this site for close to seven years and I can't recall anyone ever saying "build a UDS." Also, I've never mentioned this before but I own a Pit Barrel Cooker, which is a drum smoker, and I love it.

Back