UDS build

eap0510

Full Fledged Farker
I am in the planning stages of building a 55 gallon UDS drum. I know that many of you out there have built one and that there have been many threads on the subject. My question is not how to build one but where to get the barrel from?

Thus far, the best price on a barrel that is a little thicker than most that I have found is on Amazon for $140 with free shipping. The free shipping is really nice for most places want as much for shipping if not more for shipping then the drum itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Vogelzang-DR55-Gallon-Barrel-Stove/dp/B000VHDSJM/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1PHO5HNUEV6BE&keywords=55+gallon+drum+unlined&qid=1655462852&sprefix=55+gallon+unlin%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-10

What do you all think about the above?

Would really love a Gateway Drum but at $1,000 I'll build a slightly inferior product and live with the additional $800 in my pocket.

I found a guy selling used food grade barrels on craiglist. $20, had to burn out the lining. Had the removable lid with a retention band so I did not need to cut the lid off.

FB Marketplace has several sellers, and you may luck up and find one that doesn't have a liner, but the price is much cheaper and the lids are removable. Save that extra money for a couple of those briskets Kroger has on sale this week.

Big Poppa Smokers sells a full kit + a carbon unlined drum. It's a good mix between a DIY job and something like the Gateway. This way you know you're getting a new, unlined barrel, and you're also getting high quality parts which aren't galvanized.

It's definitely worth a look.

Big Poppa Smokers Carbon Drum Kit

UDS was my "gateway drug" to bbq back in 2013(?)

It still has a following because it "just works and works well". I cook on mine most every weekend.

The drum getting is the sticky part - but if you get past that, it's just smooth sailin'

Back