THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jumbo joe with a charcoal rail will do everything you need.

I just pull apart one of the new style charcoal baskets, snip the tin at the bottom edge at the center and slip it through the charcoal grate.
Charcoal behind it for indirect or cover the bottom for grilling.
No need to remove it just pour coals on both sides.
For small cooks just use the fire behind the rail.

025B2443-F15C-4B79-B254-2B2637D28496.jpg

Alternately a Smoky joe mini wsm.
This will take up more space and have less usable grill area, but more smoking area.

I to have a WSM that I use for competition but mostly a BGE at home. Never used the kettle for smoking, but I know it can be done. Is a bit big for the RV, I would have to remove legs for transport, but perhaps for only one all rounder, that may be the best choice.

What do you mean by make a ring?

Also thinking about fuel, carrying pellets take up a lot less space than bags of charcoal, also I will always have LP on the RV.....

The first pic in this post by Smoke Ninja will show you.

You could cut the legs 6" down on a 18" or 22" Kettle and use conduit coupling to attach legs when you get there. Or make it a large table top version. :heh:

Mark Lambert's Little Red Box is a portable option. I have a GMG DC and it is OK. BTW, I would sell it for $150. It would cost about $30-40 to ship to CA.

If you have room for a 30 or 55 gallon gateway, you will be very pleased.

Smokey Joe.

We RV/Camp at least 1 weekend a month, and a two weeks out of the year. Family of 5.

Smokey cooks everything we need and then some, and uses little charcoal. From searing to smoking smaller cuts/chicken parts - it simply does everything well.

And it costs about $30.

Most RV's come with a 2 burner outdoor propane stove - perfect for corn/beans/sides and breakfast.

And we bring a portable electric skillet as well.

I take my SJ Mini. I made a strap that holds it all together. The mini chimney fits inside. I carry the charcoal in Kinsford totes. So far everything from Chickens,Beans,Mac & Cheese to Pizza,Steaks and Burgers. We use it as an oven and with Cast Iron. If I didn't have the back of the pickup I could take it apart for transport. Does't weigh much.. Larry

Another vote for the weber kettle....can do pretty much anything, and if you get the basic one it's only about $100 new, can take the legs off and store cooking utensils/chimney inside the cooker, so it should pack pretty well and still give you a cooker you don't have to put on a table or bend over to use. Accessories are available everywhere should you need something.

If you go pellet, look into "grill grates" to go with it for the searing aspect. You can actually have them customize the grate to fit the whole pellet grill surface or simply a section. As long as you can crank up the pellet grill, the grates will assist in magnifying the surface temp.

I take my SJ Mini. I made a strap that holds it all together. The mini chimney fits inside. I carry the charcoal in Kinsford totes. So far everything from Chickens,Beans,Mac & Cheese to Pizza,Steaks and Burgers. We use it as an oven and with Cast Iron. If I didn't have the back of the pickup I could take it apart for transport. Does't weigh much.. Larry

What is SJ mini?

Back