THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don’t disagree. I guess it must be that the people who started saying that lighter fluid ruins food are the same people who don’t know how to use charcoal.

I think your observation is correct. For the record, I haven't used lighter fluid in over 20 years. One of Myron Mixon's stunts that he likes to do at contests is to douse the coals with lighter fluid when he starts his fire.

I think your observation is correct. For the record, I haven't used lighter fluid in over 20 years. One of Myron Mixon's stunts that he likes to do at contests is to douse the coals with lighter fluid when he starts his fire.

The guy that runs Goldees in Fort Worth likes to start fires with lighter fluid just to mess with people I think.

I sometimes start my chimneys with lighter fluid, sometimes with oil soaked paper, sometimes with those little store-bought tumbleweeds. Makes no difference at all.

I really don't have any particular phrase that annoys me to hear, but I guess "If you're lookin, you ain't cookin" has gotten old, so that's my choice. When I watch cooking videos lately, it's because I'm interested in the smoker being used (I'm still trying to figure out my next purchase), so I always fast forward past all the food preparation. I mean, how many times can you watch someone trim a brisket or sprinkle rub on ribs?

"Good barbeque don't need sauce"

I feel good barbeque deserves good sauce and usually have several choices for my family or guests.

If you don't like sauce don't use it.

I do not watch youtube videos on smoking or grilling. I've tried. I just can not sit through them.
As far as things I've heard that I could do without.
"Brisky" ... Jeremy beat me to that one. :laugh:
"Stick Burner"... Real men and women burn wood. :grin:
"Pit"... When people call their backyard smoker or grill, a "Pit". :tape:
"Pellicle"... Shouts "beginner" to me. I skip over posts using the word.
"Minion Method"... see "Pellicle" explanation. :laugh:
That's about it.
Nothing truly bothers me. I read stuff that interests me and skip over the rest.:grin:

I switched to camping / travel videos…….. I get tired of hearing about Jackery power stations - Jackery has sent just about Every YouTuber with 500 or more subscribers a FREE unit - and so they promote it in Every video

Like most of you, no single phrase as such. It's just they all talk too much for themselves.

"Please just shutthefarkup and get on with it". I am literally out in 20 seconds as soon as I hear how it's gonna go.

Mind you, we all know our BBQ so we can't stand fools that are presenting BBQ and don't know much.

I'm like that with any medical show. Can't watch them with what I know. Complete waste of time.

"C'mon over! We're having a barbecue! Hot dogs and hamburgers!"

I used to be one of the folks that was bothered by this. But, at least here up north, "a barbecue" is an event with food cooked outdoors. Now, if they said, "We are having barbecue." and then served burgers and dogs I'd feel slighted. But if they say they are having "a" barbecue I lower my food expectations.

Fun stuff- not sure if this one got mentioned but "Mouth Feel" makes me hit the little X in the top right corner of the monitor every time. The "little bit of sweet, little bit of heat" is a close second

"Like a brisket"

Seems anything cook for a long time is now like a brisket or if its cubed its "burnt ends"

It's not trip tip like a brisket or pork belly burnt ends.

Also I cannot stand poor man's brisket (chuck). The meat is fine it's just a dumb name and cost more per lbs than brisket

I probably cook a brisket maybe 4 times a year tops, but I actually do use my trimmings for sausage, including a lot of the fat. I've made tallow maybe once.

But, back to the point, some I used to hear were "flavor profile" mainly on bbq pitmasters and every time they described a rub it was "A little sweet with a little heat." The latest one I hear non-stop on youtube is "presentation side" which I swear no one said until Aaron Franklin's Masterclass. As much as people want to act like he's passé people sure do copy him a lot.

It seems that everything that isn't SPG is described as a "sweet heat" rub. That overly simplified description does get old.

Jeanie, I don't mind hearing the term, "Minion Method" but I will admit I am a bit biased in my opinion. I have known Jim for almost 25 years. I have lost contact with him about 15 years ago and I am not sure he is still with us. I will tell the story about the Minion method in another thread.

As for your other observations, I agree with those with one last exception, the term pellicle. I had never seen that term before and I had to goggle the word for an explanation. My interpretation is it is another word for silver skin. But I could be wrong as I am not always right and I could be wrong about that...........

My most hated term is falling off the bone tender ribs. If I hear that term used to advertise how good a BBQ restaurant's ribs are, I don't patronize that business. Same thing goes for not smelling smoke when I go to a new BBQ joint. No smoke, no entry by Juggy

Jeanie, I don't mind hearing the term, "Minion Method" but I will admit I am a bit biased in my opinion. I have known Jim for almost 25 years. I have lost contact with him about 15 years ago and I am not sure he is still with us. I will tell the story about the Minion method in another thread.

As for your other observations, I agree with those with one last exception, the term pellicle. I had never seen that term before and I had to goggle the word for an explanation. My interpretation is it is another word for silver skin. But I could be wrong as I am not always right and I could be wrong about that...........

My most hated term is falling off the bone tender ribs. If I hear that term used to advertise how good a BBQ restaurant's ribs are, I don't patronize that business. Same thing goes for not smelling smoke when I go to a new BBQ joint. No smoke, no entry by Juggy

I remember Jim. He posted here and there, years ago. He seemed like a very nice person. :thumb:

Last edited:
Jeanie, During the early days of the arious internet bbq web sites, Jim was one of the most informative posters around and always provided good information to newbies who asked questions. You are right; Jim is/was a nice person.

Jim and I had several interactions on this web-site, the Green Room, Ray Basso's forum and we exchanged e-mails quite often too. I was fortunate enough to meet him at the Royal 20 years ago. I lost contact with him quite sometime ago and I am not sure if he is still around. I am working on a post about the history behind the term, Minion method.

I have one that is directly from this forum. So I will say sorry in advance, I'm not trying to be offensive to this particular member or anyone else for that matter, but this one just annoys the crap out of me every time I see it.

It's referring to ones wife as "the bride", as in "the bride this and the bride that". I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does.

Back