THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

patrickd26

Full Fledged Farker
By now, we've all watched so many YouTube videos that you start to hear things way too much. "Don't worry. We'll make burgers out of all these trimmings." as he cuts half the meat off a brisket while 10 raccoons are in the backyard waiting to eat yet another meal from this guy.

What's the comment you hear that you simply can't hear again or you will "throw momma from the train"?

Mine is: "It's a BIG cut of meat.... It can handle all this seasoning."

"Texas BBQ"
Texas has many styles of "Texas BBQ"
West Texas-El Paso
Northwest Texas -High Plains and South Plains
North Texas- The Metro Plex DFW
East Texas- Henderson- Piney Woods
Central Texas- Hill Country- Lockhart, Austin
Southeast Texas- Beaumont/Houston
Rio Grande Valley - Brownsville

Pretty broad area as Texas is larger than Germany.
So many blurred lines but types of wood, local or trucked. Pecan, hickory, the various oaks, mesquite, all the different types of cookers the combination code is endless.
Lawry's

You may be able to say Memphis or Kansas City style BBQ and folks will know and visualize what you mean. But when you say Texas BBQ you need to narrow it down a bit

Last edited:
I actually watch a fair amount of YouTube in the winter. That said, there are only I few channels that I enjoy and a bunch that I ignore. Back to the OP's question:

My #1 is "fall off the bone"
My #2 is when they trim 30%-40% of the brisket to make it "aerodynamic" (I've actually heard people make this claim multiple times)
"Pitmaster" is up there.

I probably cook a brisket maybe 4 times a year tops, but I actually do use my trimmings for sausage, including a lot of the fat. I've made tallow maybe once.

But, back to the point, some I used to hear were "flavor profile" mainly on bbq pitmasters and every time they described a rub it was "A little sweet with a little heat." The latest one I hear non-stop on youtube is "presentation side" which I swear no one said until Aaron Franklin's Masterclass. As much as people want to act like he's passé people sure do copy him a lot.

“Lighter fluid will ruin the flavor of your meat.”

Really? Who came up with that? Do some people put their burgers on their Webers while the lighter fluid is still burning?

If your lookin you ain't cookin....sweet with a little heat is a close second.

I pretty much NOT watch you tube and other "experts" saves a lot of aggravation....

another "Flavor Profile" guy here....

My palette is apparently not as sophisticated as others...

rather them just say "does it taste good or not, motherpharker!?!?!?"

I suppose I look at these guys with a different lens...meaning when I watch them, I look more at their technique and strategy more so than what they're saying...I try to get the education out of their vid (good OR bad) and omit the entertainment aspect of it, although it tends to creep in sometimes. Especially if there's no content.

“Lighter fluid will ruin the flavor of your meat.”

Really? Who came up with that? Do some people put their burgers on their Webers while the lighter fluid is still burning?

I watched my next door neighbor do that many years ago. Just when I thought he could not do anything worse than that, he proved me wrong. After flipping the burgers to let the raw side cook, he immediately applied sauce to the burgers to the "cooked" side. After viewing those cooking atrocities, I promptly left the house and went to the local watering hole for a few hours. I was afraid my neighbor was going to invite me over for dinner.

BTW, I am of the opinion that if you do use lighter fluid to start your coals, if they are not completely ashed over before cooking, a discernible palate can detect traces of lighter fluid in the meat. I no longer have such a palate to make that claim, but at one time I could.

Last edited:
BTW, I am of the opinion that if you do use lighter fluid to start your coals, if they are not completely ashed over before cooking, a discernible palate can detect traces of lighter fluid in the meat.

I don’t disagree. I guess it must be that the people who started saying that lighter fluid ruins food are the same people who don’t know how to use charcoal.

I agree. Who in real life rolls their eyes back and practically faints when they tase their food after every cook? I would like to hear them say "Well, that didn't come out like I expected". :sick:

I change my vote and replace it with these two! Spot on!

Back