I wanted a yoder... thinking about timberline

You may also want to consider a Blaz'n Grillworks grill. http://www.blazngrillworks.com/the-grid-iron/

I have a blaz'n grillworks controller on my FEC-100. My FEC was an older model with the Traeger controller before they switched to the IQ series controllers. It is a great controller and can also be adapted to Traegers as well. It has very steady temp control, as it is a PID controller I believe.

My local dealer got a Timberline demo unit in and had a demo day yesterday with the Traeger rep. All I can say is owl! This is not the Traeger of old. It is so much beefier than the other models. It does not feel like cheap stamped steel. Lifting the lid the first thing you notice is a significant heft to it compared to the older models. It also has a nice stove gasket so there are no leaks. The racks are nice and heavy as well. All stainless steel and they are stout and all three levels have slide stops so you can slide them out without the fear of them tipping. The best part was the controller and the app. The rep demoed how they work and it was very impressive.

Best part, is barring any delays, mine should be here next week! Very excited! :-D

My local dealer got a Timberline demo unit in and had a demo day yesterday with the Traeger rep. All I can say is owl! This is not the Traeger of old. It is so much beefier than the other models. It does not feel like cheap stamped steel. Lifting the lid the first thing you notice is a significant heft to it compared to the older models. It also has a nice stove gasket so there are no leaks. The racks are nice and heavy as well. All stainless steel and they are stout and all three levels have slide stops so you can slide them out without the fear of them tipping. The best part was the controller and the app. The rep demoed how they work and it was very impressive.

Best part, is barring any delays, mine should be here next week! Very excited! :-D

Awesome! Did you purchase the 850 or 1300?

Any wait to see PICS :)

All of a sudden, I think I want a pellet cooker to see what they are all about and am liking the looks of the timberline. Please post up impressions where you get yours. I'm especially interested in smoke output...the few times I tasted food off a pellet cooker, the smoke was almost non existent...hopefully times are changing with traeger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well hope they made a better auger, tube, thermocouple, board and fan. Because th last 2006 I had I replaced all of them eventually before 2012. My friends 2003 is still running.

Well hope they made a better auger, tube, thermocouple, board and fan. Because th last 2006 I had I replaced all of them eventually before 2012. My friends 2003 is still running.

I know the board is totally new, not sure about anything else. I know on the three Traegers I have owned, I have replaced everything except the auger tube and auger. Traeger customer service was always great though.

I have essentially eliminated the ys1500 from my search as it is just too far out of my desired price range.

I am down to the ys640 and the timberline 1300.

At this point, I may be leaning a bit more toward the timberline 1300 as I like the following:

wifi cooking with app
+/- 5 degree temp swing
built in down draft technology with super smoke setting for better smoke flavour
robust stainless cooking grates (good for heat retention and searing)
built in drip pan
overall finish requires little to no maintenance
Drip pan easy to foil and keep grill clean.
double wall steel
large gasket for door

Down side... is that it still doesn't address direct grilling, however, the new design you can drop the lower grate so its closer to the fire, the stainless grates, and the fact that this thing can get up to 500 degrees with ease due to oversized gasket and double wall steel.

The yoder is well built, heavy duty and a tried and tested brand. Its kind of the top dog in the pellet world.

I love the direct grilling, but worry where all the grease goes as it drips over the burn plate.
I have read the smoke profile is second to none
It can handle temps up to 600 degrees without issue

The paint is an issue and requires touch up periodically
older board, no wifi technology
very large and heavy, not sure I need that much power in my yard... seems more of a comp cooker.

So they are both really close, it will come down to very few details. I am going to put my hands on the 850 this week if I can. I really want to get a feel for the Traeger before I buy either.

If you want the direct grilling, a finish that will hold up and wifi then why not look at Memphis wood fire pellet, it seems to match your criteria.

With my Christmas bonus I bought a gmg Jim Bowie with wifi. So far I like, I don't love it, but I like it. I've wanted a yoder for as long as I can remember but unfortunately a ys1500 is north of 6g's round these parts which is just a little to rich for my blood. I really liked the wifi and the built in thermo and as far as authorized dealers go round these parts it was the gmg or traegers and there's ever line didn't have anything comparable. 4 months later they announce this which I would have got over my gmg in a heartbeat. One day when my wife has finished being a professional student I'll plop down the money for a yoder.

With my Christmas bonus I bought a gmg Jim Bowie with wifi. So far I like, I don't love it, but I like it. I've wanted a yoder for as long as I can remember but unfortunately a ys1500 is north of 6g's round these parts which is just a little to rich for my blood. I really liked the wifi and the built in thermo and as far as authorized dealers go round these parts it was the gmg or traegers and there's ever line didn't have anything comparable. 4 months later they announce this which I would have got over my gmg in a heartbeat. One day when my wife has finished being a professional student I'll plop down the money for a yoder.

I too have a jim bowie with stainless steel lid (useless upgrade) and Wifi (love this feature cuz i control my cooks from anywhere). And struggled with it for a while.

Frustrating, until I did a few mods. But best thing I did was add a second shelf 6" above the primary grate. it really evened out temps right to left and front to back. I should have made it 4" above grate level as the clearance height is affected. I can cook a whole chicken but a thick brisket will be an issue.

If funds are available I would consider the Timberline pending reviews and reliability. But if I had to spend $2000.00 today it would be tough to spend it on anything but the Yoder.

I have essentially eliminated the ys1500 from my search as it is just too far out of my desired price range.

I am down to the ys640 and the timberline 1300.

At this point, I may be leaning a bit more toward the timberline 1300 as I like the following:

wifi cooking with app
+/- 5 degree temp swing
built in down draft technology with super smoke setting for better smoke flavour
robust stainless cooking grates (good for heat retention and searing)
built in drip pan
overall finish requires little to no maintenance
Drip pan easy to foil and keep grill clean.
double wall steel
large gasket for door

Down side... is that it still doesn't address direct grilling, however, the new design you can drop the lower grate so its closer to the fire, the stainless grates, and the fact that this thing can get up to 500 degrees with ease due to oversized gasket and double wall steel.

The yoder is well built, heavy duty and a tried and tested brand. Its kind of the top dog in the pellet world.

I love the direct grilling, but worry where all the grease goes as it drips over the burn plate.
I have read the smoke profile is second to none
It can handle temps up to 600 degrees without issue

The paint is an issue and requires touch up periodically
older board, no wifi technology
very large and heavy, not sure I need that much power in my yard... seems more of a comp cooker.

So they are both really close, it will come down to very few details. I am going to put my hands on the 850 this week if I can. I really want to get a feel for the Traeger before I buy either.

I am not exactly sure what the super smoke button does, but on the Yoder, if I wanted a little extra smoke, I would cook the first hour at about 160°, then bump the temps. The Yoder also has a drip tray for grase management and a drain. The grill grates for the Yoder were awesome, and worked very well. The biggest pain in the @$$ was having to remove the grates and drip tray to uncover the burn pot for direct grilling. But now they have an access door in the drip tray so you don't have to remove it.

Like I have said before, the Yoder is awesome, but in the end will cost you just as much if not more than the Timberline once you add in all the extras plus shipping. That said, I don't think I would hesitate for a minute to buy either one.

Thanks everyone for the help. I ordered the 1300 Timberline. I think having a dealer so close to me is the winning factor. I absolutely love the yoder and hope that I don't regret it, but all the advanced features and price point of the timberline make this a clear choice for me.

I will update you all once I get word of it's arrival, I should be one of the first in Canada to be rocking out the 1300

Thanks everyone for the help. I ordered the 1300 Timberline. I think having a dealer so close to me is the winning factor. I absolutely love the yoder and hope that I don't regret it, but all the advanced features and price point of the timberline make this a clear choice for me.

I will update you all once I get word of it's arrival, I should be one of the first in Canada to be rocking out the 1300

Congrats! I'm not so patiently waiting for mine.

Back