I got these thick flanken cut short ribs

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
And they’re probably 66-100% thicker than what I normally find at Sam’s. They were also 50% of their regular price as of late so....

I’m trying to think of how I should prepare them. I’ve done “galbi style” grilled short ribs before but they were about half as thick as the ones I have now. I bought them to mix into some burger grind but forgot about them when I was doing it. Too thick to grill? Sous vide then grill? Grill them as is? Braise? Grind me up anyway and use for something else at a later date?

Pic doesn’t do em justice but I’d say they’re .5-.66” thick.

I've seen the thick cut short ribs at the local Mexi-Mart, but have never bought them. Looked at recipes online and most seemed to lean towards braising. I usually get the thin cut ones and make Tablitas.

Maybe grab a few and do a low & slow smoke like a full rack of short ribs? Probably wouldn't take as long as an uncut rack.

This site turned me on to Tablitas. Pineapple marinade with other stuff probably will make them tender. Maybe a fajita seasoning. Then grilled. All I really remember is that they were good.

Ok I’m liking where this is headed...Cinco De Mayo and Taco Tuesday have joined forces into one awesome day this year so if I used a marinade to tenderize they might actually make for good taco fodder. I’ll have to look into tablitas.

I get them that size from our local Halal butcher. They are fantastic. Run them indirect and give them a reverse sear. They are fatty, so watch out for flareups if you are on a Weber etc. like them with just S&P and Garlic.

if I used a marinade to tenderize they might actually make for good taco fodder.
Korean friend turned me on to kiwi as a tenderizer. But don't use too much or tenderize for to long, cause the meat will disintegrate once it hits the grill. How would I know that??? :doh:

If I recall, she said half a kiwi for 5lbs of meat, no more than a half an hour.

I grind them up for ground beef and make smash burgers. The best you’ll ever have!

Korean friend turned me on to kiwi as a tenderizer. But don't use too much or tenderize for to long, cause the meat will disintegrate once it hits the grill. How would I know that??? :doh:

If I recall, she said half a kiwi for 5lbs of meat, no more than a half an hour.
Andy,

Would the kiwi would be smashed and then mixed into whatever marinade you were using? And no more than 30 minutes?

If so, I'm going to have to try that.

Thanks,

Robert

I use them for carne asada tacos. Marinade with Goya Mojo Criollo, then some Chef Merito carne asada rub. Grill them on the Kettle to medium rare. Makes great tacos.

Just got a batch like that only twice as thick from a local farm last weekend for my daughter's birthday dinner. I cut them between the ribs into 2"-3" chunks and braised them in red wine and stock. Delicious, but still very, very fatty. After cooking I still cut away half of what was there and pitched it. Sad to say that Whole Foods short ribs are better. The gravy was 2/3 fat which I chilled and skimmed off.

95219891_10158128182106341_7015352156257517568_n.jpg

BUT...what was left was absolutely delicious over parmesan polenta.

95666669_10158133659576341_4444053668202807296_n.jpg

I grabbed some of those from Sams about a month ago. They were half off so I figured I’d give them a try. I hit them with salt and pepper and put them on the pellet pooper at 275. They were super tender, the meat melts in your mouth but they were pretty fatty. Probably could have made a stock with what was left after eating the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back