Flanken cut and English cut short ribs

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
I picked up some flanken cut along with English cut beef short ribs. I wanted to share how I prep both styles of ribs for Korean BBQ.

First, flanken cut short ribs. These weren't the best quality flanken ribs but I was in a hurry and didn't want to check other stores. Mallet comes in handy for tenderizing and increasing the surface area of low quality flanken short ribs.

68mhgguh.jpg

After pounding it with a mallet. Little better.

1IzzPC6h.jpg

Scoring it with a knife on both sides to make it even more tender

iSAw15zh.jpg

naUn8Nqh.jpg

Next, English cut style short ribs. These were much better quality. Nice and thick.

ePc7wIOh.jpg

First used the knife to ribbon cut the meat from the bone by working it in opposite direction back and forth.

9jyKmlTh.jpg

Then also scoring the meat on both sides with the knife to make it more tender

EWvRuGKh.jpg

Once finished, rolled the meat ribbon back up.

zrFU2yWh.jpg

lycf4JEh.jpg

Bowl holding both the finished flanken cut and English cut beef short ribs

73rF634h.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I have no doubt both are going to be fantastic! :-D

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
Next the Galbi marinade bath

Sof2YK6h.jpg

I like to hand dip each short rib piece in the marinade before placing it in a container lined with layer of sliced regular onions and green onions.

3eWBAiuh.jpg

Then keep layering it with marinade liquid, beef short ribs, and another layer of regular onions and green onions.

6RX0Z04h.jpg

LIFWwQlh.jpg

7i7pAzYh.jpg

ezBKCjIh.jpg

Now resting in the fridge for the next 2 days.

Do you use any kiwi in the marinade? My Korean friend told me that's the key to tenderness as long as you don't use too much. If you do use too much, it disintegrates once it hits the grill.

2 days…makes me want to go to the meat market.

I usually do at least a day. I'm doing 2 days since I want to grill this for my daughter on Saturday.

Do you use any kiwi in the marinade? My Korean friend told me that's the key to tenderness as long as you don't use too much. If you do use too much, it disintegrates once it hits the grill.

I like to marinate for at least a day so I rarely use it. I've used it in the past and it destroyed the meat texture and turned everything to mush. Maybe if I was doing quick 30 minutes to 1 hour marinade. But if I needed it quick, I would just skip the marinade and grill it plain. In South Korea, the most popular BBQ is the English cut short ribs grilled plain and not marinated. That's actually my preference as well if I'm grilling at the table.

I like to marinate for at least a day so I rarely use it. I've used it in the past and it destroyed the meat texture and turned everything to mush.

I'm always trying to make my cooks better. I love Galbi/kalbi.

I've read that Kiwi has more tenderizing enzyme and you should use it only half as long if substituting for asian pear. Correction: It is a different type of enzyme

My market does not have asian pear. I have used 1 or 2 ripe Bosc pears as a substitute in Galbi. I puree my marinade in the blender, and include the onions in the puree. I have not had over tenderization issues with Bosc pears, either at 1 day or 2. Bosc is currently my go-to.

I see this useful blurb from Cook's Illustrated, kiwi is different, not just a different quantity:

"That's because the tenderizers work differently: Whereas baking soda tenderizes by unraveling and separating the meat's protein strands, the powerful fruit enzymes (calpain in pear; actinidain in kiwi) snip the protein strands into smaller pieces that yield a mushy effect."

And pineapple is yet another type - bromelain. I've read only fresh pineapple contains the active enzyme.

I always butterfly the English cut as in your 2nd method. You can get thinner pieces than you get with flanken.
I have used Keifer pears before, but you probably don't need much tenderizer unless you get a bad batch of short ribs. And you don't want to overdo the kiwi or the meat will be mushy.
Here is video of my method for Weber kettle.

So I'm waiting for the results. Which one was better?

• Thanks
I'm always trying to make my cooks better. I love Galbi/kalbi.

I've read that Kiwi has more tenderizing enzyme and you should use it only half as long if substituting for asian pear. Correction: It is a different type of enzyme

My market does not have asian pear. I have used 1 or 2 ripe Bosc pears as a substitute in Galbi. I puree my marinade in the blender, and include the onions in the puree. I have not had over tenderization issues with Bosc pears, either at 1 day or 2. Bosc is currently my go-to.

I see this useful blurb from Cook's Illustrated, kiwi is different, not just a different quantity:

"That's because the tenderizers work differently: Whereas baking soda tenderizes by unraveling and separating the meat's protein strands, the powerful fruit enzymes (calpain in pear; actinidain in kiwi) snip the protein strands into smaller pieces that yield a mushy effect."

And pineapple is yet another type - bromelain. I've read only fresh pineapple contains the active enzyme.

I'll use Korean pear if I have some at home but most of the time I just use Korean pear juice from a can since I have that available.

I don't feel the need to use tenderizer like kiwi or pineapple. I know restaurants that use it will only marinade the meat once they receive the food order. Quick 20 minute marinade is all it takes if kiwi or pineapple is used.

I always butterfly the English cut as in your 2nd method. You can get thinner pieces than you get with flanken.
I have used Keifer pears before, but you probably don't need much tenderizer unless you get a bad batch of short ribs. And you don't want to overdo the kiwi or the meat will be mushy.
Here is video of my method for Weber kettle.

So I'm waiting for the results. Which one was better?

Nice work! Butterfly is the way to go with English cut.

It's no contest which I prefer. I greatly prefer the English cut butterflied or ribboned over flanken cut. It has way better texture, and I just think it makes the meat tastes much better. And it makes for better presentation and makes the meal feel more expensive and luxurious.

Sorry for the delayed update but I cooked all the short ribs on Saturday. I picked up my daughter from UGA and invited my sister and nephews to dinner. We shared great food, lot of laughs, and had great conversations. English cut short ribs were the star of the show and what everyone preferred. Can't wait to do it again!

JFq1tuQh.jpg

Some of the cooked meat cut to bite sized portion with scissors for easier eating.

twsue7Wh.jpg

Probably my favorite part and one of the reasons why I prefer English cut. Bone pieces are the best and special treat.

tSLguzoh.jpg

obligatory lettuce wrap shot

7LRvmsch.jpg

ULC.

You're on point with all this.. As a chap who's done this a lot, it's bang on.

Well done!

Cheers!

Bill

• Thanks
Oh yea.
I bet that tastes fabulous, done right like that.
How did the flanken cut compare to the butterflied English cut short rib?

Back