HushPuppies ,Recipe Required please

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Titch :-)
Just watching a Food show.( Burgers Brews and BBQ I think ) that had a Cheese base Hushpuppy With Jalapeno jam.
Cowgirl talks about Hushpuppies often.:thumb:
Recipes please, my Wife was licking her lips and would like some help

There are a LOT of different types of hush puppies, ranging from hot jalapeno to sweet. Crusts can be rough and crunchy to smooth and soft. Insides can be gritty corn meal, even with corn kernels, to silky smooth. In posting recipes, it would be useful to have a description of what the particular recipe produces. Pictures also are nice if you've got 'em! Everyone has different preferences.

Jalapeno Jelly recipe

2 large bell peppers
1 lb jalapenos
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 box Sure Jell
3 cups sugar

Core and seed bell peppers, cut off stems of jalapenos leave the seeds in jalapenos, then grind everything in a food processor in a food processor. Then squeeze out all the moisture using cheese cloth. The recipe says discard the pulp but it can be used in other dishes.

In a large saucepan combine pepper juice, vinegar and Sure Jell. Bring it to a boil. Add sugar and boil hard for one minute. Pour in hot sterile jars and seal. Do not double recipe.

==============================

Hush Puppies

In a bowl, mix dry ingredients:
2½ cups fine-ground cornmeal
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tbsp. sugar
½ tbsp. ground black pepper
½ tbsp. salt, ¾ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. cayenne pepper

In another bowl, mix wet ingredients:
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
1½ cups buttermilk
Âľ cup chopped scallions

After each is bowl is evenly mixed, whisk wet and dry mixes together until the batter is just combined - do not over mix. Let rest for 10 minutes. In a 6-quart stockpot or a mini electric fry pot, heat oil to between 350ÂşF keeping the oil at a steady temperature. Once the oil is hot enough, drop small scoops or rounded tablespoons of the batter into the oil in batches of eight. The cooking process is fast, about 60 to 90 seconds. As soon as the hush puppies start to float, use tongs to rotate (both sides should be crisp and light golden brown). It helps to put a pasta strainer on top of them at this point to keep them submerged. Use a slotted spoon to remove, and transfer to a clean paper towel to quickly drain. Serve steaming hot.

Just watching a Food show.( Burgers Brews and BBQ I think ) that had a Cheese base Hushpuppy With Jalapeno jam.

Don't have a recipe, but the Hush Puppies on the show were from Char Bar in KC.

http://www.feastmagazine.com/dine/w...cle_3a89d560-bddf-11e4-a7ff-831b19a26a89.html

Char Bar's cheesy "hushpuppies" with stone grits fritters, beer blanc and jalapeño jam.
54ef5c8d964d3.image.jpg

Last edited:
These look good also. Make up some jalapeno jam.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmRvdjmdJ8"]Emeril's Cheddar Hush Puppies - Let's Kick it Up a Notch! - Emeril Lagasse - YouTube[/ame]

I love hushpuppies and make them often. :grin:
You can add just about anything to the batter before frying them. Cheese, jalapenos, corn, onion, etc...

Be very careful....
Not all Hush Puppies are created equally.

What they are not:
Fried balls of flour and cornmeal

Too many places that don't know better simply make a batter and toss it into hot oil by the spoonfull and end up with fried dough balls with a hard crunchy exterior.
Don't do that.

Use this recipe

Ingredients
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup self rising flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 small onion, finely diced
3-4 green onions, finely diced
1 cup of buttermilk
1 large egg
2 cup of oil for deep frying

Instructions
Combine the cornmeal, self rising flour, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic in a large bowl.
Whisk until everything is lump free then toss in the diced onions.
Add in the buttermilk ( or substitution), and egg.
Mix the ingredients until well combined, but don't over mix (like a good pancake batter, you want some lumps)

Pour the oil into a large pan, and heat the oil over medium heat.
Once the oil is nice and hot, add your hush puppie batter by squeezing it through a pastry bag. If you don't have a pastry bag, use a ziplock bag with the corner cut out.
Let about 1" of batter out through the tip at a time. Squeeze end to separate and squeeze out next one.
Fry the hush puppies until the are nice a golden brown.
Remove the hush puppies from the oil, and let drain.

Serve and enjoy!

If you do it correctly, you end up with a hush puppies that has a slightly crunchy exterior, with a soft pillowy interior.
They will look more like the photo below. Rather than a fried dough ball ( horrors)

Last edited:
Excuse me for saying so, but that represents everything wrong with hush puppies.
They are not fancy, nor should they be round.
IMHO
Just posting what Titch saw on the show he was referring to in the original post. It actually sounds like they are grits fritters, rather than hushpuppies.

Heck, I'm don't care what shape my hushpuppies turn out. I use two spoons to plop the batter into the hot oil (like my momma taught me), and cook them til golden on the outside and tender in the center.
You have to keep an eye on the oil so it's not too hot to cook the outside first and leave the center doughy.

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20124_zpskqwjtn4e.jpg

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20130_zpsatymycdn.jpg

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20164_zpsxd4gjrxj.jpg

Heck, I'm don't care what shape my hushpuppies turn out. I use two spoons to plop the batter into the hot oil (like my momma taught me), and cook them til golden on the outside and tender in the center.
You have to keep an eye on the oil so it's not too hot to cook the outside first and leave the center doughy.

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20124_zpskqwjtn4e.jpg

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20130_zpsatymycdn.jpg

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20164_zpsxd4gjrxj.jpg

Those look wonderful!
The shape thing may be a regional affectation.

The ones I grew up with were shaped like curved fingers and I have had many a bad round hushpuppy.

You make a great point about overcooking the outside before the interior is done and that is probably the biggest reason why I am not a fan of big round hush puppies.

Those look wonderful!

The ones I grew up with were shaped like curved fingers and I have had many a bad round hushpuppy.

You make a great point about overcooking the outside before the interior is done and that is probably the biggest reason why I am not a fan of big round hush puppies.

Those look wonderful!

I grew up with round, crunchy hush puppies. I was unfamiliar with smooth, silky hush puppies until I got to North Carolina. The ones at Q-Shack in Durham are as good as they get for me. They have a hint of sweetness and are very flavorful. My girls liken them to donuts. They have the distinctive shape that John mentions and shows in his pic.

IMG_4591.jpg

Back