Great article on a local sucessful female pitmaster

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Article on a close family friend....

AR-306279984.jpg

http://www.phillyvoice.com/meet-the-rib-cookin-queen-of-south-jersey--and-wish-her-luck/

Meet the rib-cookin' royalty of South Jersey – and wish her luck
Following in her father's footsteps, Aly Lupinetti will compete again at the Super Bowl of barbecue. By Kevin C. Shelly PhillyVoice Staff

In the world of competitive barbecuing – part sport, part hobby, part good ol’ boy fraternity and sometimes just business – the Philadelphia region is something of a wasteland.

Sure, there are small outposts selling decent ribs, chicken and such – Jack McDavid's Philly spots and seasonal roadside stops, such as Christine’s House of Kingfish in the pinelands of Shamong, for instance.

But when it comes to touring barbecue competitors, there is only one member of rib-cookin’ royalty in the Philly region: Aly Lupinetti of Mount Laurel.

Her company, Butch’s Smack Your Lips BBQ, has the trophies – more than 700 now – and decades of history to stake a claim.

While holding down a full-time job as a risk manager in Center City Philadelphia, Lupinetti travels about 15,000 miles a year, from April through September, for cooking competitions across the country.

After all, she’s the daughter of the late Butch Lupinetti, something of a "smoking" legend.
The daughter of legendary pitmaster Butch Lupinetti of Mount Laurel, she became the first female pitmaster in history to win the juried rib cook-off and the coveted title of "Best Ribs" at the eighth annual Rock, Ribs & Ridges festival held Sunday, at the Sussex County Fairgrounds.
"It's amazing," Alyson Lupinetti said on Sunday, while at her Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ stand. She was named champion in front of thousands of festival-goers at the annual summer bash which fires up the outdoor concert and grilling season in Northern New Jersey. "You always love going home with some hardware, but this is a great honor to be the first female winner."

Monday was her birthday, making the win even more special.

http://www.njherald.com/20170627/its-a-first--woman-wins-best-ribs-title-at-rock-ribs-and-ridges#

Presented by Franklin Sussex Auto Mall, the two-day music and food festival features some of the biggest names in Southern rock with nine bands headed by Country Music Hall of Famer Charlie Daniels performing over the weekend and five pitmasters from across the country competing for thousands of dollars in prize money and the coveted titles of "Best Ribs," "Best Sauce," and Weis Markets "People's Choice."

Lupinetti won for "Best Ribs" after placing second in 2015 and third in 2016. Her Butch's Smack Your Lips team placed third for "Best Sauce" after taking second in 2015 and 2016; and was named the "People's Choice" winner in 2015 and 2016.

She cooks and works with her husband Matt Meyer at her side. "We compete all over the country but this gives the people who enjoy our food and follow us here locally the chance to do so in our home state," she said.

Founded by pitmaster Butch Lupinetti, Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ has amassed more than 600 awards in gaining national recognition, including Grand Champion for the State of New Jersey; the Jack Daniels Invitational; and the Best in the West Cook-Off in Sparks, Nevada. The Food Network came calling in 2006, where Butch defeated celebrity chef Bobby Flay in a BBQ Throwdown.

Butch Lupinetti passed away in 2010. His daughter grew up helping her father and carries on his traditions, including winning numerous competitions on her own.

Also last week...

http://www.burlingtoncountytimes.co...cle_0746469e-6bec-11e7-9c52-c3c44d892956.html

She might be rubbing some competitors the wrong way, but Alyson Lupinetti is proving she can do things right with a barbecue brush.
The Mount Laurel resident recently became the first female pitmaster to win the “Best Ribs” title at a popular North Jersey cook-off. The eighth annual Rock, Ribs and Ridges Festival, held at the Sussex County Fairgrounds in late June, drew competitors from across the country and awarded thousands of dollars in prize money.

The win came just a day before Lupinetti’s 25th birthday.
“You always love going home with some hardware, but this is a great honor to be the first female winner,” she said. “It’s not a women’s game.”
Competing in a nationally ranked field against mostly older men, the combination of Lupinetti’s age and gender make her a truly rare pitmaster. Some competitors also rely on those qualities to underestimate her.
However, she’s not a barbecue newcomer, as some may view her.
“She’s been doing it 21 years,” said her mother, Lynne Barag.
Starting as a small child, the young woman learned the art of barbecue from her late father, Butch Lupinetti. Prior to his death in 2010, Butch Lupinetti had cultivated a legion of fans on the barbecue circuit, through the sauces and dry rubs he sold, and by appearances on the Food Network show “Throwdown! With Bobby Flay,” for which he is known for besting the celebrity host.

Alyson Lupinetti said she is simply continuing something her father started. In that respect, she said she’s seeing more younger people step up in competitions, with some taking over for family members who have been competing for many years. “We’re starting to see the next generation,” she said.

And although she initially was unsure if the legendary mantle of Butch Lupinetti’s winning ways could be held up, the trophies his daughter has won since taking over the family business at age 18 have made her a force to be reckoned with on the barbecue circuit.

In the seven years since Alyson Lupinetti has been leading the Butch’s Smack Your Lips team as the company’s president and lead pitmaster, a fair share of awards have been added to the family’s massive collection of trophies. Starting with her father’s awards, it has grown to well more than 600 items.

Under Alyson Lupinetti’s watch, Butch’s Smack Your Lips won the People’s Choice award at Rock, Ribs and Ridges in each of the last two years. She also placed second in 2015 and third in 2016 for “Best Ribs” at the popular festival, and took home a pair of second-place wins those years for “Best Sauce.”

This year, Butch’s Smack Your Lips placed third in the “Best Sauce” category at Rock, Ribs and Ridges.
A key to her success, Lupinetti said, is the circle of trusted family and friends that work alongside her during events, including husband Matt Meyer. A group travels to every festival and event, where they help with everything, from setting up the elaborate booth for Butch’s Smack Your Lips to filling plates of food to paying customers.
“You are serving thousands of people,” said Barag.
As a food vendor and caterer, the business sells ribs, chicken, pulled pork and brisket to festival visitors, as well as baked beans, coleslaw, corn bread and mac ‘n’ cheese. Customers also can purchase bottles of Butch’s Smack Your Lips barbecue sauces and dry rubs.
Locally, the branded items are available at hardware stores and farm markets. They can be purchased at Moorestown Hardware, J&J Hardware in Mount Laurel, Hunter’s Farm in Cinnaminson, Johnson’s Corner Farm in Medford, as well as other sites.

According to Lupinetti, the company’s signature products are vital to her success in competitions. The team also works around the clock to produce meats for public consumption. The women said they like consistency, and nothing special is done to enhance the taste or appearance of the judge’s serving.

“The rib we put in their box should be the same as the judge’s (portion),” said Barag.

Lupinetti said the team often receives questions from customers seeking advice for improving their own grilling in their backyards. She’s happy to discuss her barbecue techniques.

“We cook them slow and low. Once it hits 225 (degrees), we’re ready to rock and roll,” she said.

In talking with other cooks and customers, Lupinetti said she is sometimes reminded that she’s a female surrounded by male peers. According to the accomplished pitmaster, many people initially approach Meyer to talk shop, seeming under the assumption that he’s in charge, despite the couple working side by side.

“I’ve actually taught him about barbecuing,” she said.
In spite of some people’s perceptions, the recent “Best Ribs” award at the Rock, Ribs and Ridges Festival is an affirmation. Lupinetti said she proved to herself and to anyone doubting her skills at the grill that she is capable of carrying on her father’s legacy, while carving out one of her own.
“It was a huge honor,” she said.

Lupinetti said the North Jersey festival is a favorite among her regular competitions.

“It’s so nice to be able to compete close to home,” she said. “We compete all over the country, but this gives the people who enjoy our food and follow us here locally the chance to do so in our home state.”
Other recent accolades include the “Managers Choice” and “Best Ribs” awards at the Seven Springs Rib & Wings Festival in Pennsylvania. Based at a ski resort, the Seven Springs issued snowboards as its trophies.
Butch’s Smack Your Lips has also participated this season in the New Jersey Barbecue Championship in North Wildwood, Oceanfest in Long Branch, and competitive events in Ohio and New Hampshire, where she fittingly won an award on Father’s Day. The People’s Choice honor at the Granite State’s Rock ‘n’ Ribfest came in the form of a wood statue topped with a carved pig.

Upcoming events on the 2017 schedule also include summer stops in Maryland, New York and Nevada before the team returns to the Jersey shore in the fall. Butch’s Smack Your Lips will appear at the Que by the Sea (Sept. 22-24) in Seaside Heights and the Garden State Country Music and Food Truck Event (Sept. 30-Oct. 1) in Atlantic City.

Kristen Coppock: 609-871-8073; email: kcoppock@calkins.com; Twitter: @kcoppockbct

Last edited:
Got to like a gal that doesn’t mind getting down in the dirt and getting her hands dirty.......Best of luck!!

Wow, this is insane. I remember watching her dad Butch vs bobby flay back in college. I even remember my friend's dorm room and TV we watched it on, because it got me interested in BBQ. In the episode her dad was loading up on meat to cook for Ali's birthday. Until then I'd never seen so much meat piled into a cart. I remember her blushing in happiness and shyness (from the cameras) as her dad gave her a big hug. He died a few years later and I was crushed. Not because I knew him, but because of Ali. Her dad was always smiling and laughing, it was hard to think she'd be without him. So glad to get an update, always hoped she was doing well.

Wow, this is insane. I remember watching her dad Butch vs bobby flay back in college. I even remember my friend's dorm room and TV we watched it on, because it got me interested in BBQ. In the episode her dad was loading up on meat to cook for Ali's birthday. Until then I'd never seen so much meat piled into a cart. I remember her blushing in happiness and shyness (from the cameras) as her dad gave her a big hug. He died a few years later and I was crushed. Not because I knew him, but because of Ali. Her dad was always smiling and laughing, it was hard to think she'd be without him. So glad to get an update, always hoped she was doing well.

You have a great memory..... Yes the premises of the "throwdown" was that he was talked into throwing a large birthday party, and the Food Network would shadow him to feature his craft on a food segment. But unknown to him (Butch), Bobby Flay would show up as he was starting his cooker. To keep those in attendance in the dark, they filmed two endings.... A win and a loss. The premises was that no one except Bobby Flay and his staff would know the true outcome until the show aired (this helps to insure and boost viewer attendance).

Sadly, Butch died while visiting family in Italy in 2010. It took Aly time to bounce back, but her first competition, the next year she won the NJ State Championship for ribs, which was named the "Butch Lupinetti Memorial Award", a fitting tribute to her first competition as the teams pitmaster.

Last edited:
Good to see some shining NJ BBQ talent!

Is she still in Mt Laurel?

Thanks for posting this Mad!

Yes they still live in Mt Laurel. She has a very large catering business and does a lot of corporate BBQ Catering including the State Police annual family picnics. They kept the team's name the same to honor her dad. They still sell the sauce, and occasionally a competitor will beat them using their own sauce against them. But she says it's still a wining opportunity because as the word spreads, the sales will increase.

Speaking of NJ BBQ Talent, there is also an article on Brethren daninnewjersey and his business at the Margate Farmer's Market.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250304

Back