How to make Great Turkeys on The Big Easy Oil less Fryer.

I got tired of fighting the turkey in and out of that basket, so I use the stand that came with my turkey fryer and used some bricks in the bottom of TBE to get the turkey back to the correct height in the cooker. Comes off the fryer stand easily and doesn't wreck the skin. Much prettier presentation and way less work.

I got tired of fighting the turkey in and out of that basket, so I use the stand that came with my turkey fryer and used some bricks in the bottom of TBE to get the turkey back to the correct height in the cooker. Comes off the fryer stand easily and doesn't wreck the skin. Much prettier presentation and way less work.

Good idea. I also spray the basket with PAM or the like and it comes right out of the basket.

I am creating my own entertainment for Thanksgiving. I have two turkeys starting to thaw now. One is a 9lb frozen, the other is an 11lb "fresh" turkey. I am going to cook one in my TBE and one will rotisserie on a Hasty Bake Suburban. That way I get to be out side playing with fire!

I have a few cooking and timing questions for the experts here. Yes, I am typing at you Toast :) (I can post a new thread if needed).

Which bird should I TBE and which should spin? Toast already suggested 2.25 hours for the TBE. Do you guys have a guess on how long to allow for rotisserie?

I am using the Mad Max turkey recipe, he says to stuff the cavity with apples, lemon, onion etc. Can I do this on the Big Easy and in the rotisserie?

Thanks for any feedback!
John

TBE will handle either bird with ease. I've never done a bird in it under 12 lbs that I can remember so that 2.25 time may go down depending on how cold the bird is when you put it on etc. Remember it's about internal temp on TBE, not time. I would go with the big one in TBE because folks will be getting hungry before that rotiss rig is done. ;D

Would be cool if you could post a thread AND PIC's about how they compare taste and time cooking wise.

Good Luck with both!

TBE will handle either bird with ease. I've never done a bird in it under 12 lbs that I can remember so that 2.25 time may go down depending on how cold the bird is when you put it on etc. Remember it's about internal temp on TBE, not time. I would go with the big one in TBE because folks will be getting hungry before that rotiss rig is done. ;D

Would be cool if you could post a thread AND PIC's about how they compare taste and time cooking wise.

Good Luck with both!

Thanks for the info. I will keep searching for posted rotisserie times.

Do you see any harm in stuffing the cavity with sliced apples, onions, lemons etc on TBE?

Thanks for the info. I will keep searching for posted rotisserie times.

Do you see any harm in stuffing the cavity with sliced apples, onions, lemons etc on TBE?

I do not see any problem. Bottom line is correct IT meat temp. Make sure you probe for doneness in the right place. Also How you going to keep all that in with the turkey sitting upright? Stick an onion up it's...azz? I've never added anything to the cavity. Could increase cook time.

Are you planing on injecting the bird? I would leave the stuff out but that's just me.

Last edited:
I am thinking that smoking a bird for a few hours and then finish up in TBE could produce a nice Smokey and crispy bird!

How do you go about making your gravy on a big easy turkey?

I know I can collect the drippings from the tray but I'm used to simmering celery, carrots and onion for my gravy stock. Guess I could just add a bit of base?

How do you go about making your gravy on a big easy turkey?

I know I can collect the drippings from the tray but I'm used to simmering celery, carrots and onion for my gravy stock. Guess I could just add a bit of base?

After your turkey is done take the drippings and put them in a pot. Boil them for a few minutes to make sure you kill anything raw or under cooked that dripped in there. I then strain the liquid. From there you can use it however you want. Use it how you would stock to make your gravy.

Thanks Y'all, and it tasted great!

1459108_729047323856474_5176657581913827750_n.jpg

Later,
Doug

Toast.......

As apprehensive as I was to purchase one and use it, you put my fears and apprehensions to rest. Thanks for that. I would like to add that even buying "The Big Easy" is worth the investment just to have an extra free shelf in the oven. basically a set and forget type cooker taking about just under 10 minutes per pound.

I will say that I had a 24-1/2 turkey (bought before assembly) and once I saw the cooking basket, I panicked. It did fit with a little maneuvering, but I would guess an 18 pound bird would have been a better choice for a better fit, but it all worked out great. There were a few small areas that didn't brown because it was stuffed too tight into the cooking basket.

I brined the turkey in OakRidge Game Changer Brine rather than Patio Daddio's Ultimate turkey brine. I could see the moisture pooling in the neck area as it cooked....

I actually like the idea of the drip pan, you can collect drippings several time throughout the cook, put them in the freezer for a couple minutes and skim the fat with no effort. It produced a flavorful gravy without fat that everybody raved about.

You were right Toast, the taste is so close to being deep-fried that no one cares. In fact everybody thought the bird in "The Big Easy" was more flavorful..... This is now my goto turkey/chicken roaster from now on, I love the no mess cooking.

DSCN0046a_zpse8cbf0bc.jpg

Thanks again for your help and sharing your experiences with us...

Toast.......

As apprehensive as I was to purchase one and use it, you put my fears and apprehensions to rest. Thanks for that. I would like to add that even buying "The Big Easy" is worth the investment just to have an extra free shelf in the oven. basically a set and forget type cooker taking about just under 10 minutes per pound.

I will say that I had a 24-1/2 turkey (bought before assembly) and once I saw the cooking basket, I panicked. It did fit with a little maneuvering, but I would guess an 18 pound bird would have been a better choice for a better fit, but it all worked out great. There were a few small areas that didn't brown because it was stuffed too tight into the cooking basket.

I brined the turkey in OakRidge Game Changer Brine rather than Patio Daddio's Ultimate turkey brine. I could see the moisture pooling in the neck area as it cooked....

I actually like the idea of the drip pan, you can collect drippings several time throughout the cook, put them in the freezer for a couple minutes and skim the fat with no effort. It produced a flavorful gravy without fat that everybody raved about.

You were right Toast, the taste is so close to being deep-fried that no one cares. In fact everybody thought the bird in "The Big Easy" was more flavorful..... This is now my goto turkey/chicken roaster from now on, I love the no mess cooking.

DSCN0046a_zpse8cbf0bc.jpg

Thanks again for your help and sharing your experiences with us...

You did a great job on the bird! Especially for it being your first using the big easy! I think they say in the instructions to cook a 16lb or less bird but as you experienced you can get bigger ones in there. If you ever want to do one that size again you can take the basket out and use the rod style stand that goes through the turkey and supports it used with the oil type fryers. You'd probably have to truss the turkey though but you wouldn't have the basket restricting you. Some people like that stand on any turkey better than the basket as LanceM88 pointed out in post #42.
I'm glad it worked out for you and your family!

Last edited:
IAMM,

That's right. TBE is rated for a 16 lb bird. I've done an 18lber in mine. I normally subtract a lb from stated weight because of giblets, neck, gravy pack etc. They do make a bigger version called a 3 in 1 that does more and holds a bigger bird but I like the original. You bird looks Great!

Back