How to make Great Turkeys on The Big Easy Oil less Fryer.

Great post.... A guy brought his to the refinery... I was very skeptical... Until i ate some of the bird..... Toast we do not pay those refs.. Off... It was the kicker that took the money:razz:....... Seriously yall spanked us... But i will take it anyway i can get it..... Great looking bird... Academy has those cookers and i am going to buy me one.... Fried turkey is good to me right out of the pot... After it sits a while i do not care for it.....

I agree about after turkey setting awhile. When I used to fry them in peanut oil and went to reheat leftovers it was not as good. Then a guy told me to reheat it hot enough to render the congealed peanut oil left in the meat. After doing that it tasted great! In TBE there is no oil, only injected spices and it reheats very well and even taste good cold on a sandwich.

I think Bama is going all the way BTW. :thumb:

Toast, if I wrap the turkey if foil and put it in my TBE, will it steam to perfection after 5 hours?

I think that would be a question best addressed to your Brother In Law. I hear he is the absolute Turkey Master. :thumb:

Lol....now that's some funny chit! I too have heard (read) about the turkey master bil.

By the way shouldn't you leave the turkey alone landarc? Next thing you know you'll be trying to cook green bean casserole again! :tsk:

You made a comment about the lid and not leaving in on too long, so do you put it on to begin with and then take it off once you have the desired color?

You made a comment about the lid and not leaving in on too long, so do you put it on to begin with and then take it off once you have the desired color?

I do put on the lid at the beginning of the cook and adjust from that point. The bird is around 38-42*F when I put it on so no browning will take place in the beginning but it does seem to help in bringing the bird up to temp. Your bird may vary. If after 1 & 1/2 hours the bird appears to be getting too dark too quickly I will remove the lid for a period of time. It's an eye judgement call. If I had to guess I would say the mesh lid stays on for about 1/2 of the cook total.

Hopefully you don't mind me adding to that as well Toast....
As you mentioned it' a judgment call. But what I can add is it will depend on the outside temperature. If it's not too cold you won't need the lid on as long. If it's cold you'll need to keep it on longer.
Last Christmas in OKC it was pretty cold outside and I needed to leave the lid on the whole time.

Be very careful and don't forgot that someitch gets hot. I did as it was my first cook and I got in a hurry and grabbed it bare handed. Learned real quick a lesson I won't forget! :mad:

Hopefully you don't mind me adding to that as well Toast....
As you mentioned it' a judgment call. But what I can add is it will depend on the outside temperature. If it's not too cold you won't need the lid on as long. If it's cold you'll need to keep it on longer.
Last Christmas in OKC it was pretty cold outside and I needed to leave the lid on the whole time.

Be very careful and don't forgot that someitch gets hot. I did as it was my first cook and I got in a hurry and grabbed it bare handed. Learned real quick a lesson I won't forget! :mad:

Amen AC! :thumb: Outdoor temps and wind will affect it some but the burner is so protected that it remains constant most of the time. The thing I had to wrap my head around was that it infrared cooking the bird not heat. The idea is the small shielded burner heats the SS cylinder uniformly to "radiate" heat off the wall which cooks the meat.

Oh and +2 on grabbing the mesh lid! :mad2:

Thanks so much Toast! I was kinda lookin for something like that.

Dang Gary, After seeing the way you Ohio boys do it, looking like y'all have it down! :becky: A great gathering you had.

TBE is one fine bird cooker for sure. :thumb:

No. It's not too hot. I only use the food probe and it's deep in the turkey. Never had a problem.

Thanks!

I am going to take my TBE to my mom's so I can do two small turkeys. One in the TBE and one spatched in her Hasty Suburban. Mad Max Recipe. My last challenge will be getting both turkeys done around the same time.

Thanks!

I am going to take my TBE to my mom's so I can do two small turkeys. One in the TBE and one spatched in her Hasty Suburban. Mad Max Recipe. My last challenge will be getting both turkeys done around the same time.

I would allow a minimum of 2 1/4 hours for TBE bird. Good Luck! :thumb:

Back