How to Light a Charcoal Chimney

I like the starter cubes but found a cheaper solution. I buy a Duraflame log for about $4 and cut it up into small pieces with a hatchet used as a knife. One log lasts me almost a year but I suspect some on here could use one up in a week. :biggrin1:

I like the starter cubes but found a cheaper solution. I buy a Duraflame log for about $4 and cut it up into small pieces with a hatchet used as a knife. One log lasts me almost a year but I suspect some on here could use one up in a week. :biggrin1:

I like that idea!

I hate to be a hater here but lighter fluid only has one place in my house and that's in my Zippo which I use to light my cigars with! Not only do I use a chimney to avoid lighter fluid, I also use lump charcoal or all natural briquettes made with lump to avoid the other chemicals (binders and such) associated with regular briquettes! The first time I saw that funky GREEN smoke coming off of a pile of freshly lit briquettes I stopped using them and went to lump as my go-to fuel for grilling and as the fire starter for my stick burner. BTW there IS a noticeable flavor given off by fluid and briquettes, if that's all you've used then you may not notice it but it's there and very detectable by others!:wink:
As a side note, going way back some of my family members always had negative physical reactions (stomach oriented) to food cooked over conventional briquettes, especially that had been soaked with fluid,... they have NEVER had any issues while eating my food that has been cooked over either lump or wood that was started with no petroleum products. Not a coincidence I don't think.:-D

here is the way I get a chimney to start quick, I use paper in the bottom that has a "shot" of spray veggie oil on it, fill the chimney with coals then spray the top with the oil, lights like a charm and quick too. no odd smell or flavors. the oil acts like a natural lighter fluid. and its cheaper!!

Sal

thats it right there.. I havent bought fluid since the 80's. I chimey, some butcher paper and a few drops of oil(corn, veggie, olive, whatever), or a squirt of spam is all i need.

or just light the coals with a weed burner and be ready in 30 seconds.

Lighting a charcoal is about all i use vegetable oil for anymore.

Actually my chimney is rusting away since i got the weed burner.

If you guys think this is bad ask him how he lights his sick burner.

without reading ANY other comments...
your way of using the charcoal chimney is completely FOOLISH.

really?

get real. moronic.

without reading ANY other comments...
your way of using the charcoal chimney is completely FOOLISH.

really?

get real. moronic.

I actually see nothing wrong with it. I have a different way but i dont see how its bad or wrong.

And trust me im not usually the voice of reason around here.

I fill my chimney up, soak her down with fluid and drop a match in it. In 15 minutes they're turning white. I dump em out and keep em semi piled till they are completely white. Scatter and cook. Never tasted fluid. I gotta keen nose and taster too. Might try the veggie oil thing next time.

While the use of lighter fluid in the vid is disturbing, the choice of briquettes was even more appalling because they impart as much, or more, bad flavor as the lighter fluid. Definitely not Stubbs...the only acceptable briquette for grilling or smoking.

The best, and fastest, way to light lump or Stubbs is in a chimney parked over the propane start on a Performer :nerd:

https://flic.kr/p/pVvWiX

Back