How to Light a Charcoal Chimney

here is the way I get a chimney to start quick, I use paper in the bottom that has a "shot" of spray veggie oil on it, fill the chimney with coals then spray the top with the oil, lights like a charm and quick too. no odd smell or flavors. the oil acts like a natural lighter fluid. and its cheaper!!

Sal

here is the way I get a chimney to start quick, I use paper in the bottom that has a "shot" of spray veggie oil on it, fill the chimney with coals then spray the top with the oil, lights like a charm and quick too. no odd smell or flavors. the oil acts like a natural lighter fluid. and its cheaper!!

Sal

This may be good plan.

No need to waste oil. Paper is all that's needed. It's an awesome fuel for Fire combined with oxygen. Lol

I especially like the newspaper ashes blowing all over everywhere.

That's the main reason I use the Weber starter cubes. But, if you spray or soak the newspaper with cooking oil the ash is greatly reduced.

Last edited:
I fill my chimney with the coals I want started and then fire up my Performers propane assist and put my chimney on that to light the coals. No paper ashes, no lighter fluid just a clean burn.

I have used lighter fluid to start coals. As long as you let the fluid burn off, you won't get a lighter fluid taste in your food.

I remember going to a three day, 24 X 7 softball tournament. One of the crew brought a small Hibachi and we used that to grill dogs and burgers. It rained the whole weekend. The guy with the grill was pumping fuel on the coals to keep the coals lit. You could DEFINITELY taste the lighter fluid. Kept burping it up later. Glad I didn't smoke then...

Never tasted it any other time...

1 starter cube + chimney full of lump + 15 min = done

It works 100% of the time, every time. Paper ain't bad, but the cubes are too cheap and easy to mess with paper/ashes.

Hmm, nobody has mentioned bacon grease soaked paper towel yet. After I cook bacon I will soak up some of the grease in paper towels and store in ziplocs in the freezer. Just pull one out and set it under the coals. Light and enjoy.

I put my charcoal in my chimney and set it on top of a burner I bought as a turkey frying kit. I only fried a turkey once, but light the burner for 5-10 minutes with the charcoal and chimney on top. After turning off the gas, the chimney needs another 10 minutes or so for the coals to be ready to dump. Works great. No oil, paper, lighter fluid, etc...

Sometimes I put 5-6 left-over coals in my chimney and hit them with a propane torch for 20-30 seconds and then fill the chimney with charcoal. I usually do this when I run out of starter cubes.

Good idea

I put my charcoal in my chimney and set it on top of a burner I bought as a turkey frying kit. I only fried a turkey once, but light the burner for 5-10 minutes with the charcoal and chimney on top. After turning off the gas, the chimney needs another 10 minutes or so for the coals to be ready to dump. Works great. No oil, paper, lighter fluid, etc...

I have seen a show giving the inside on a Weber restaraunt where everything they make is grilled. They light coals in a chimney using your method for all of their cooking so I would say it is easier.

As far as TASTING lighter fluid I would say it depends on the person. I have heard that even using a sooty pit can give a taste like that. I was given a bag of mesquite briquettes that my sis-in-law didn't like because of the "lighter fluid taste". I was even told that diesel fuel was used in a pinch by someone to start their stick burner- he just let it burn longer :)puke: i would not eat that if I knew about it) but he did not taste it on the meat (so he says). I personally use achimney with paper, oil if needed. I will have to try the cubes!

why lighter fluid; why not gasoline?

Did that once when I was a kid and could have killed myself. I used the last of the lighter fluid on some charcoal in a Weber grill. The flames went out so I took a plastic gas tank and proceeded to "carefully" pour the gas over the coals. Flames went up and the tip of the nozzle on the tank started on fire. I would have made an Olympic disc thrower proud with the toss of the tank.

Back