Charcoal pellets???

Honestly, I switched to Pellet to get away from charcoal smokers. If i want charcoal smoke flavor i will dust off my WSM.

I've not purchased the straight charcoal pellets. Most I've read on them folks are blending them with other flavors. ATTST, Pit Boss Freedom Blend did a mix with their charcoal pellets and other woods. It's really good but didn't see any in stores this year.

Last edited:
I might have to rethink my opinion. I wouldn't want to do a long low and slow, but it might add some great flavor to a reverse sear Tri Tip on my Pit Boss.

Been using them since I found them at wally world. I mix them with pellet of choice for that cook. I've found them to really help with a smoke ring from a pellet pooper.

Lumberjack makes them too. I’ve been using them for quite a while also. What Jim said^^^^^

The capsules are black (charcoal)

044agVDh.jpg

Last edited:
It's a gimmick. If you want a rundown on it lookup the BBQ central show and search for the latest show with the cooking pellets founder where he goes into detail on these.

I will look for some RO , have used the LJ and like it for steak and burgers, I forget what the % it is but no where near 100%

Lumberjack makes them too. I’ve been using them for quite a while also. What Jim said^^^^^

The capsules are black (charcoal)

044agVDh.jpg

Think I have several bags of Char Hickory, I can see two bags in the garàge.

There are a lot of great pellets sub $10 bag. I've seen Traeger Pellet on shelf at 29$ bag. One day they were discounted down to $2 bag. Their Turkey Blend with brine kit. It's a blend of hickory and maple with a hint of rosemary. I've heard all the oil stuff since my first pellets dropped in my GMG DC. So I Google in the store "do traeger pellet contain oil"? After reading the article I bought two bags. . some of the cleanest in appearance, uniform in size, best aroma pellets I've burned. At store recently they were restocked at just under $30 per bag. I'll check back after and during the holidays. $2#bag I'll buy three bags this time

Link to Traeger Turkey Pellets with brine

https://www.traeger.com/wood-pellets/turkey-blend-brine-kit

Back