The tale of the week-long poke chops

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
No pics so technically it didn't happen right? Maybe that makes this a fairy tale? :doh:

So..... I had a plan for teriyaki pork chops. It was a good plan. It should have worked just fine.

Plan was to marinate some pork chops in teriyaki sauce on Monday, Tuesday cook them up in the sous-vide, then onto the grill for a good sear, and eat them.

Well, like all my good plans it fell to sh*t and required some improvising. In the end it worked out just fine, if slightly (or more than slightly) delayed.

Everything started fine... Monday I defrosted a couple nice pork chops from a pig my cousin raised/slaughtered and covered them in Mr. Yoshida's original gourmet sauce and stuck them in the fridge. They were treated with love and massaged and flipped every time I got into the fridge.

Come Tuesday right about the time I'm ready to cook them the primary spousal unit tells me we need to head to Hobby Lobby in the next town over and I DO have to go with her.
argue.gif
So anyway, back into the fridge they go.

The next couple evenings I had commitments that kept me from doing anything with the chops... soccer practice, cub scouts, volunteering at the hospital, etc. So Friday is the next time I can do anything with them, but the old ball and chain has a hankering for pizza. "But honey, I have these chops I need to make!"
bbq7.gif
So anyway... pizza it was. But I did at least get the chops into the sous-vide at 140 for 2 hours, then back into the fridge so at least it's cooked now.

Saturday was a double-header soccer game and then running around doing a bunch of shopping and errands followed by dinner out on the way home.

Finally, come Sunday, I get around to cooking these. They went back into the sous-vide at 130 for about 1.5 hours to warm them back up. By this point I decided to forget about the grill and just seared them in a pan with some oil and butter. After they were seared I added a bit of flour to the pan to make a light roux and then added the juice from the sous-vide to deglaze the pan and cooked it down to a nice sauce.

Despite the long delay these were actually some of the best poke chops I've ever made. Super tender and the marinade had completely penetrated the meat. The darker meat looked like beef it was so dark from the teriyaki penetration. I know it wasn't planned this way but next time I might just follow the same procedure it was so good!
cooking5.gif

I might just try that myself. My major complaint with marinades is they don't flavor the meat enough. i guess time is the key.

It seems I've heard that story before. I may have even told it a time or two (minus the SV).

No pics and I'm sure they were great :thumb:

I might just try that myself. My major complaint with marinades is they don't flavor the meat enough. i guess time is the key.

Be careful with over marinating meats. If the marinade is highly acidic, if the meat soaks too long, the exterior of the meat will break down to a mushy texture. My go to pork marinade contains apple juice, lemon juice, yellow mustard and cherry cola. It is highly acidic and twelve hours is enough time for tenderizing and flavoring.The times I have gone 24 hours on pork steaks with this marinade, the 1/2" thick steaks had turned to mush.

My experience and experiments with marinating meats has shown me that marinades usually will not penetrate into the meats interior no more than 1/2". I have not noticed a marinade flavor on any roast except for the exterior of the meat.

Brines can penetrate further than marinades due to the amount of salt in the solution, but a marinade that contains little salt does not go through the osmosis process like a brine does. Here is the recipe for that pork marinade I was referring to. I use this on pork steaks, pork rib tips and pork riblets.

2 cups Wishbone Spicy French Dressing
2 cups apple juice
2 cups cherry cola (12 oz can will work)
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup Woebers Spicy mustard (Yellow mustard works in a pinch)
1/4 cup hot sauce
1/4 cup BBQ Rub

Sounds about like my plans. lol They rarely work out!

Glad to hear you had a happy ending, Mike!! They sound delicious!!

Back