THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Our annual Fair & Rodeo Parade barbecue is a couple of weeks away and I make the injections and mop/spray for the pork butts and lamb legs. My pork injection starts off with broth made from smoked pork shanks (60%) and Mexican Coca-Cola (40%). This year I'm changing up the meat and will be smoking 8 pounds of pork neck bones, then pressure finishing them in two batches for the broth. I'll be doing this tomorrow or Thursday. Here is what a typical batch looks like and I usually shred the meat for Mexican food or for cooking beans. I'm open for any new ideas to use this meat I should have about 4 pounds because I'm starting with 9 pounds. It sort of resembles the rib-tip meat when you trim a slab of spares, but the pressure finish makes it very tender.

CXrhXbj.jpg

I love pork necks. Brethren Paul, Tuscaloosa cooks up some mean ones too.

I like to make a gravy for the meat and serve it over rice with jalapeno cornbread, collards with bacon grease...

Smoked in the drum...

jRCYBFK.jpg

tnc9XTV.jpg

to6f8Rk.jpg

o32nvWR.jpg

This pot has both pork necks and turkey necks.

As we say in Louisiana "First you make a roux..." (medium brown), then add onions, celery, and bell pepper. Stew it down and add a little of your broth and some water to give you a gravy. Next add the neck meat and season as you see fit (salt, black pepper, garlic, thyme, etc.). Let this cook for a while, then cool.

Now make cheese grits. 1 cup grits to 4 cups water. simmer slow and stir for 18-20 min. Now stir in 8 oz of shredded cheese (I like smoked gouda) and 1 stick of butter. Season with salt a pepper to taste. Grease a rimmed sheet pan and pour out the grits. Cool and then refrigerate.

Next day: Cut the grits into squares like brownies. Reheat the neck gravy. Take the grits and dredge them in flour. Then panfry until golden and crispy in a buttered skillet. Top with neck gravy and enjoy...

David

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr

Bump for tamales. Lot of work, but they freeze very well. Great with a runny egg in the morning for breakfast.

Love tamales. My traditional filling is a different direction, but you might have a good point.

13340029.jpg

As we say in Louisiana "First you make a roux..." (medium brown), then add onions, celery, and bell pepper. Stew it down and add a little of your broth and some water to give you a gravy. Next add the neck meat and season as you see fit (salt, black pepper, garlic, thyme, etc.). Let this cook for a while, then cool.

Now make cheese grits. 1 cup grits to 4 cups water. simmer slow and stir for 18-20 min. Now stir in 8 oz of shredded cheese (I like smoked gouda) and 1 stick of butter. Season with salt a pepper to taste. Grease a rimmed sheet pan and pour out the grits. Cool and then refrigerate.

Next day: Cut the grits into squares like brownies. Reheat the neck gravy. Take the grits and dredge them in flour. Then panfry until golden and crispy in a buttered skillet. Top with neck gravy and enjoy...

David

Oh boy, I like the way you talk. I still remember the first time I worked in Louisiana and tried to figure out the lingo. On Saturday morning we "made groceries".

Back