Help me with finding a grill please

I couldn't be happier with the used Weber Summit I found on Craigslist. They're rare to find used and go very quickly which is a good sign for a grill. Same can be said about the Weber Performer and the 26.75" Weber kettle but with some patience, I've managed to find one of each to decorate the deck with and enjoy cooking on them all.

Thanks again, guys, you've given me a lot to think about.

I'm not hooked on gas, just thought that was the direction I was going based on time and ease of warmup, but from what I'm reading I shouldn't make that the primary or only reason to go gas.

I had a Weber kettle for years, but got rid of it last year in favor of a cheap PoS gas grill that I borrowed for a while. It worked "ok" but was nothing special.

I'm starting to think maybe I should give the ceramic egg style grills a serious look - seems like from a longevity and do-it-all standpoint they are pretty good bang for the buck.

Still looking to keep it under $1000, so I'm guessing that leaves me with a small-medium egg grill - but I don't see pricing online very much for these so I'm a little in the dark with regard to how much it ends up costing by the time you have the needed add-ins.

Also, while I used a Weber kettle for years, I never got that good at temperature management and I assume the egg will be no different in that regard. So looking for any pointers to help me understand how I can improve my game in that area.

Thanks again, appreciate any thoughts and suggestions you all have.

You can get a new Large BGE for about $900, but will probably want a few accessories (heat deflector) as well. Other brands are likely comparable. If there's an EggFest near you, you can get a nicely discounted one that was used for a few hours in the fest, with warranty. Great deal.

Thanks again, guys, you've given me a lot to think about.

I'm not hooked on gas, just thought that was the direction I was going based on time and ease of warmup, but from what I'm reading I shouldn't make that the primary or only reason to go gas.

I had a Weber kettle for years, but got rid of it last year in favor of a cheap PoS gas grill that I borrowed for a while. It worked "ok" but was nothing special.

I'm starting to think maybe I should give the ceramic egg style grills a serious look - seems like from a longevity and do-it-all standpoint they are pretty good bang for the buck.

Still looking to keep it under $1000, so I'm guessing that leaves me with a small-medium egg grill - but I don't see pricing online very much for these so I'm a little in the dark with regard to how much it ends up costing by the time you have the needed add-ins.

Also, while I used a Weber kettle for years, I never got that good at temperature management and I assume the egg will be no different in that regard. So looking for any pointers to help me understand how I can improve my game in that area.

Thanks again, appreciate any thoughts and suggestions you all have.

Ceramics are far more efficient than a weber kettle as they seal up tight and you dont lose heat from the ceramics nearly as quickly as from a steel weber. They are very easy to cook on...anywhere from 200-900 degrees. Once you get used to adjusting the vents, it is very easy to dial in any temp you want. BGE are pricey..I have a Primo Oval XL for 8 years and love it..have cooked on eggs and Kamado Joe and they are all the same. Look for a Kamado Joe Classic (18 inch) for around $999. Comes with cart, divide and conquer cooking system (heat deflector and multiple grids) and ash tool. This is a great value compared to Primo or BGE. You can also look at a cheaper ceramic like Vision, etc, but I have no experience with them.

Only downside to a ceramic is the weight and portability and they are fragile..ie if they tip over, they are shattered. I have replaced my firebox 3 times in 8 years because of trying to do 900 degree neo pizza (I have learned and been using a blackstone pizza cooker the last year or so)...Primo covered the firebox each time. I think I had to pay shipping last time. For an all around cooker that goes from 200-900 degrees, I dont think they have an equal

... <snipped> ...
... <snipped> ...

Something to keep in mind if you go with some type of charcoal fired system is grate size. I've been using a Big Green Egg (small) for close to 10 years and the only complaint is the small grate, about 13" diameter. It's ok for 2 to 3 people if you're not planning on having leftovers. Lately I've been cooking enough (on the big cookers) for a meal and having enough left over to go in the freezer for quite a few impromptu meals. It makes it really nice to have something like brisket during the week without any planning. Something to think about anyway. Speaking of brisket, make sure the grate size is big enough to handle an average size packer brisket. Personally i wouldn't want one any smaller than the large. As far as accessories, you can save a little by using aftermarket such as "the ceramic grill store" items.

I can't recommend the ceramic cookers enough, they do a really good job on a lot of different types of cooks. I use a weedburner to start mine, just take it a little slow on cold days. Usually less than a minute or so to get the coals lit and there up to temp within 15 minutes. You just can't beat spatchcock chicken done on a ceramic.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
As this has gone along, I don't see how you go wrong with a kamado. Kamado Joe is a good choice... you get more bang for the buck than the others. The Classic setup covers all the bases. Just like others have mentioned, with a torch or Looftlighter- you can be cooking pretty quick.

There's pretty much nothing you can't practically do with a kamado- jack of all trades. Prob about 1kish for the Kamado Joe. You can also lookup Costco Kamado Joe promo for solid pricing near you.

If you need cheaper, I say go Akorn Kamado or Weber Performer

Thanks again guys. I've been doing a lot of reading, and I think I've decided that the 26" Weber is the one for me. Keeps the cost reasonable, gives me lots of options for both grilling and smoking, and gives me a large cook surface for those weekenders. At some point if I find that I'm smoking more than grilling, I'll probably get a WSM but I just don't see spending the cash at this point for a Kamado of any sort - it would likely be a Primo as I'm still looking for USA-made stuff. Speaking of which, Weber kettles are made in USA still, right? I know there was some issues they faced a while back about some parts made overseas but I thought the kettles themselves were all USA made. Is there a definitive on that? Thanks again.

26" Weber

I picked this 26.75" up on Craigslist two weeks ago - grill, smoker, rotisserie in one tall package for $300.
picture.php

Geez Flem, you scored. I've been watching CL - nothing decent around my area for a while. I think I want to buy new anyhow - just feel better about buying new for a lot of reasons. That said, I've watched hoping there'd be something great but alas, nada.

It wouldn't bother me at all to pickup a used kettle or WSM for that matter if I needed one as long as it is in good shape they really are bullet proof.

Back