Help deciding on a new smoker

I'm a big fan of the IVC's as they give a killer smoke flavor which is very close to that of an offset. They are easy to use, extremely efficient in terms of fuel, and they last for a long time with little maintenance.

It shows that you're in LA, so maybe you would want to check out KAT BBQ Smokers in Modesto, CA. They make some really cool IVC's with some clever features that are very user friendly.

www.katbbqsmokers.com

You might be interested in their "small" size cooker here :
https://katbbqsmokers.com/product/small-vault-insulated-smoker/

I really do love their rib rack which they fabricate on site. Definitely worth a look.

Note : In my experience IVC's are MUCH more affordable to operate when compared to pellet cookers. Charcoal is significantly cheaper than pellets, and charcoal also has better availability. I had a Rec Tec and I was cooking about 100Lbs of meat and going through 40Lbs of pellets. I now have a large IVC and cook about 150Lbs of food on 20-25Lbs of charcoal. Cost of 40Lbs of pellets = $40-50 Cost of 25Lbs of charcoal = $16.

When it comes to probes, I really don't care. My MAK has a fantastic setup, but I never use it because I probe several places for tenderness as well as temp so I don't really benefit. So, I'd go Rec tec if you went pellet in that particular price point. Otherwise I am a VERY big fan of MAK grills.

In my opinion you should stay away from the masterbuilt.......anything, but that's totally my own personal bugaboo.. BUT, if gravity smokers are intriguing to you Old Country has a budget unit....... if they ever get to restocking due to corona.

Drum smokers. Do NOT sell these short. They have fantastic burn times and once you get used to hanging ribs you will have enough room for what you're looking for. And if not, with some shopping you can get two for the price of some of the others on your list.

Insulated cabinets. They do work well, but the value is low on these unless you REALLY crank out a lot of smoked meats each week.

All of them.
The answer is all of them.

Welcome to the addiction

I would watch Craigslist and Letsgo for a gently used WSM. When it comes to cleaning, I've been known to turn the heat up and let it burn off everything. Otherwise, it is really easy to clean with basically smooth sides leaving just the racks and bowl to fuss with. I generally cook 'dry' so, I also don't have to worry about the greasy water disposal from the bowl. With a couple big Pork butt smokes, I just pour the grease into my grease bucket and add a little dishsoap and water if I'm so inclined and DONE! Really, the racks are the most difficult thing for me as they are a bit fiddly if I have some sticky sauce burned on. On the other hand, I don't obsess over sparkling clean grates either (clean but not obsessive) so, really low effort overall.

A nice Insulated Vertical Cabinet would be another good option for you at a higher price point. Cascade smokers, in Oregon I believe, would be a super option more local to you.

Both of these will be relatively easy to use burning charcoal with wood chunks so, no worries about sourcing wood for a stick burner or disposing of large quantities of ash.

WSM is an excellent cooker especially when you are new to smoking. It allows you to do just enough work with temps to get used to controlling the fire. Also, has good capacity for its price point. This will help you discover how you like the taste of charcoal for a cheaper price than an IVC. If you love it then you can save and make your mack daddy purchase! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Looks like I’ll have to add barrel smokers(including WSM) to my list now... this wasn’t supposed to make this more difficult!! Lol

Another question I thought of is about the racks that you cook on. Is expanded metal difficult to cook on and clean? It seems like wire style grates would be much easier...

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Looks like I’ll have to add barrel smokers(including WSM) to my list now... this wasn’t supposed to make this more difficult!! Lol

Another question I thought of is about the racks that you cook on. Is expanded metal difficult to cook on and clean? It seems like wire style grates would be much easier...

I have both types of racks and the cleaning is the same. I use a wire brush on both.

In terms of sheer simplicity, a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) is pretty simple and easy to start with.

I'll still start with a WSM personally because they simply work so well with so little effort. Plus, with a Craigslist or Letgo score, they are super cheap too!

Back