Help deciding on a new smoker

CivilTrojan

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Chad
Hello, I’m new to the forums and this is my first post, outside of a few comments on other people’s posts. I’ve loved my time here so far and hopefully it will get even better as I get to know you better. Anyways, I’m hoping I can get some advice on what you guys might think would be a good next smoker for me. Currently the outdoor cooking arsenal is comprised of a 4 burner natural gas grill mounted on a pedestal (made by Cap’n Cook if that makes a difference) that gets used a few times a month and a masterbuilt electric smoker that gets used a few times a year.

There are two main reasons I’m looking for a new smoker. The main reason is the maintenance, every time it gets used it needs a thorough cleaning which is pretty labor intensive. I need something much easier to clean or that requires less cleaning. I’m hoping that it will get more use if it isn’t as much work. The other reason is that I would like a smoker that gives more smoke flavor.

I’ve done a lot of research and while I would LOVE to graduate to a real smoker (offset) it’s not in the cards for me. In addition to ease of maintenance and cleaning I also need ease of use. Unfortunately I am disabled, and while I love to cook, I am not able to do any cooking so all of the work falls on other people. Thus the reason why I’m so concerned about a smoker that requires a minimal amount of maintenance and work.

As far as capacity goes, the largest cook I’ve ever done is 9 racks of ribs, 6 racks of ribs is the normal max and what I would consider suitable. I would also like to be able to do a couple of briskets or pork butts at a time, although I haven’t done that yet.

Through my research I’ve kind of narrowed down what I’m looking at to pellets and charcoal. When it comes to pellet grills I’m looking at the Rec Tec 700 or the Camp Chef Woodwind 36. Things I like about the Camp Chef are that it has a 4 probe capacity compared to 2 on the Rec Tec, it let’s you control the smoke level, and the second shelf is built in. Rec Tec is nice because it is built with stainless steel, has a longer warranty, and great customer service.

I’ve also looked at pellet cabinets like the Pitt Boss copperhead and Camp Chef XXL. I like the PB because it has a loyal following here and a longer warranty. I like the Camp Chef because the controller is a PID and it lets you control the smoke level. The concern I have about these is they might be just as difficult to clean as my current electric smoker.

For charcoal smokers I’m mostly looking at the Master Built gravity fed 1050. I know all about the fire brick mess and the upgrades that might be needed but I’m not terribly concerned about that. I’m a little concerned about needing to ad wood chunks every 45 mins, but that’s similar to my current smoker and I know you can add chunks to the charcoal stack so I wouldn’t consider it a deal breaker. Something else that I’m mildly concerned about is how the food will taste. I haven’t had food cooked with charcoal for a long time and I don’t remember what it tastes like, however every time I smell someone cooking with charcoal it smells great and brings back fond memories of when I was young and my family owned a kettle.

I’ve also looked quite a bit into IVC’s, they’re very expensive but dang they look nice. I’ve seen several people say they make the best food outside of an offset, they are pretty much set and forget with the addition of a PID, and everything seems to come out very juicy (one of my favorite things about the electric smoker). The things I’m concerned about are maintenance, cleaning, and if it might seem like too much work for a small cook.

I know about drum smokers but I’m hesitant towards them for a few reasons. They seem like the most difficult to use of the smokers I’ve mentioned, they seem like the most different from what I’m used to, I’m not sure they have the capacity I’m looking for, I’m a little worried about how hot they get on the bottom, and I’m not sure how well having a drum sitting in the patio would go over.

Sorry for this huge wall of text, but I thought I should include as much detail as I could. Any thoughts about what might be best for me and anything I might not have considered are very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

What's your price point? I don't know the cost of a lot of the smokers you mentioned.

MB 1050 owner here. I have done zero mods and have cooked on it every weekend for the last 3 months. I have given it a thorough cleaning twice, mainly due to time constraints and weather not allowing me to do a burn off and wet towel wipe down after a few cooks.

I find smoke control to be better by using the ash can. I am getting ready to experiment with strategically placing the chunks to self ignite one another or use larger chunks.

Be sure to do a thorough seasoning. Mine was thorough, however, I made a mistake. I read where guys were wrapping the manifold in foil. I did that, but what i should have done originally was seasoned it before I wrapped it.

HSB2020, After the burn in, I would run two good seasonings before cooking.

If you are going to do any of the mod's, i.e. firebox, manifold cover, etc.. just bite the bullet and do them when you assemble it.

Love cooking on this thing.

When it comes to probes, I really don't care. My MAK has a fantastic setup, but I never use it because I probe several places for tenderness as well as temp so I don't really benefit. So, I'd go Rec tec if you went pellet in that particular price point. Otherwise I am a VERY big fan of MAK grills.

In my opinion you should stay away from the masterbuilt.......anything, but that's totally my own personal bugaboo.. BUT, if gravity smokers are intriguing to you Old Country has a budget unit....... if they ever get to restocking due to corona.

Drum smokers. Do NOT sell these short. They have fantastic burn times and once you get used to hanging ribs you will have enough room for what you're looking for. And if not, with some shopping you can get two for the price of some of the others on your list.

Insulated cabinets. They do work well, but the value is low on these unless you REALLY crank out a lot of smoked meats each week.

What's your price point? I don't know the cost of a lot of the smokers you mentioned.

Depends on what I end up getting, the Rec Tec 700 is $1200 and I would have a very difficult time spending more than that on a pellet pooper or something similar. If I decide on an IVC I would obviously have to spend more, but given how nice they are it would be easier to justify that price.

[/QUOTE]=lantern;4355616] When it comes to probes, I really don't care. My MAK has a fantastic setup, but I never use it because I probe several places for tenderness as well as temp so I don't really benefit. So, I'd go Rec tec if you went pellet in that particular price point. Otherwise I am a VERY big fan of MAK grills. [/QUOTE]

Yeah the probes aren’t a huge problem, I’m mostly put off by the lack of a built in second shelf.

[/QUOTE]=lantern;4355616]In my opinion you should stay away from the masterbuilt.......anything, but that's totally my own personal bugaboo.. BUT, if gravity smokers are intriguing to you Old Country has a budget unit....... if they ever get to restocking due to corona. [/QUOTE]

Ive looked at those and they seem nice, but even if Academy Sports does get them back in stock, they don’t ship to California.

[/QUOTE]=lantern;4355616]Drum smokers. Do NOT sell these short. They have fantastic burn times and once you get used to hanging ribs you will have enough room for what you're looking for. And if not, with some shopping you can get two for the price of some of the others on your list. [/QUOTE]

I know they are good, and my fear is probably irrational, but the fear is still there... :doh:

[/QUOTE]=lantern;4355616] Insulated cabinets. They do work well, but the value is low on these unless you REALLY crank out a lot of smoked meats each week.[/QUOTE]

That’s another feat I have of these; but I’m thinking they would probably maintain their value pretty well, especially in California. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Hey Chad, I am not sure the limitations you have but, clean up seems to be a big concern. I don't have much experience with an IVC but, it seems like it might be a perfect fit. Everything is on a lower level. No big bags of pellets to pour or lifting of charcoal into a tall hopper. I did run across this https://www.titangreatoutdoors.com/...ries/reverse-flow-vertical-smoker-899719.html maybe some of the other might have some input on this one. I have a rec tec 680 and MB560. The issue I see you having with either are pulling the cooking grates out to clean inside of the cookers. The manifold can be a tricky in the 560. The big heat deflector in the rec tec. is heavy and sometimes tricky to set it correctly on the lip. Hope this helps a little.

Are you deciding between grilling or smoking. Also if you are older or have health issues how easy is it to clean ashes or load coal/wood. It makes a BIG difference.

Well, a 22" WSM is as easy as to run as falling off a log. Spend $50 on a Gateway rib hanging kit and you have a versatile, high capacity smoker that will last for years ( maybe decades ) for under $500.

First of all Welcome to the site CT. LloydQ beat me to it. Covers all in your OP once you learn it. These rigs can be passed to your kids.

Thanks for all of the messages and thoughts! I don’t have the ability to do anything other than research and supervise, so the height doesn’t make a big difference. We already have a grill so the smoker doesn’t need that capability, but I’m not going to eliminate something because it has that capability.

I hope that info helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

I see a lot of used insulated cabinet cookers on Facebook marketplace. I wouldn't count out picking one up secondhand. It might get you to a price point you are comfortable with.

I see a lot of used insulated cabinet cookers on Facebook marketplace. I wouldn't count out picking one up secondhand. It might get you to a price point you are comfortable with.

I would absolutely be open to that! I check Craig’s list but don’t really do Facebook. I have yet to see an insulated cabinet yet...

Does a WSM have the capacity to do a brisket and ribs at the same time? That’s something I would want.

Chad, Welcome to the Brethren!!
As you can see, the guys here are willing to be as helpful as they can be, plus the knowledge here is amazing to learn from.
I am also going to strongly suggest the Weber Smokey Mountain 22. It is easy to use and clean, and turns out some great cooks. Has alot of area and can handle several types of meat at a time.
You can also get a Genie or other air flow device to make it a set it and forget it. It is charcoal and wood chunks so you can have different levels of smoke flavor.

The biggest plus from my view point is the learning curve is not that steep. After the first seasoning burn in, the thing really is easy to adjust. Plus it is built extremely well and for under $500.00 can not be beat. Only minor drawback is the factory door, which is alum, and a little hard to adjust for a tighter seal. But the aftermarket Stainless door is the way to go plus it is not that expensive.

Back