Have you switched from your homemade rub to a commercial rub?

I like to have as much ownership in my bbq as I can. I know there is no feasible way for me to raise the pig, make every single ingredient that goes into my sauce and rub from scratch. But the things I am able to do myself I want to do.

I've tinkered with rubs and sauces for years. I've tried commercial varieties of both and have found some good ones and not so good ones. It is "funner" for me to make my own rub and my own sauce. I get more satisfaction out of it and it keeps me trying new things. Also, I like to think "my bbq" is good. IMO, if I used a commercial rub for my ribs or a commercial sauce for my pulled pork. Most people ask "what kind of rub" or "what kind of sauce" did I use when they're tasting my Q, whether it be the rub on the ribs or the sauce on the pulled pork. To name a commercial rub or sauce would more than likely generate the response of "I'm going to go out and buy some of that stuff" implying to me that someone else's rub or sauce made "my bbq" good. Yeah, I know it sounds stupid and it is a bit prideful but I can't help it...

Last edited:
I understand exactly where you are coming from... I still adjust tinker with the "premade' rubs as it were, so I feel that I adjust it to my flavor profile that I enjoy so technically I use those as a starting point, maybe I'm gettin lazy(probably so) but you know as well as I do I dont care if you have the same exact set up as me,same meat,same rub, same sauce... If you cant cook then nothing is gonna hide that.. IMO the magic is in the process.. and we ALL take pride in that:thumb::clap2::thumb::clap2:

I started with making homemade rubs, but then switched to commercial. It started as a way to taste a variety of different rubs to find out what I liked. Then it came down to cost and time. I just don't make enough Q at one time to do proper testing to develop my own and to use up all the spices in a reasonable amount of time.

And yes, I do feel less of a Pitmaster by using a commercial product, but the results are good enough that I can live with that.

Finally, I think there is a difference between commercial and boutique. Most of the Brethren product fall into the boutique category. I haven't found any commercial (Kraft or whatever) rubs that are worth much. Stubbs original bbq sauce is about the only commercial sauce I like. Homemade is much better commercial, especially sauces.

I've been making Mike Mills Magic Dust for years, (for pork and chicken) and Ray Lampe's Big Time BBQ sauce for a couple years. I still have not made , or tasted a commercial rub for beef (brisket, pulled pork) that I like as much as Wow Up Your Cow by the Slabs.

When you "sample" the rub, is that before it is cooked?

Yes it is before it is cooked. I know that many herbs and spices change their characteristics after cooking but if it does not taste good before cooking most likely it will not taste good after cooking.

I keep a small sample of the "raw" rub to compare with the rub on the meat after cooking so I can make adjustments the next time.

I'm also a spice freak and can make something that I just love but a lot of people will not like so that's why I use my wife and daughter as Guinea Pigs. They like more middle of the road spice and heat.

50/50...I enjoy the experimentation and sharing tips with neighbor/friends while creating my own rubs. However, I continue to use commericial rubs as well to find different flavours and blends I may like. Amazing that we still discover and create so many rub and sauce "profiles".

I also like the Rub Co. products, Ryan makes a great series of rubs, I do need to try the Oakridge rubs, everyone around here seems to like them.

I also like the Rub Co. products, Ryan makes a great series of rubs, I do need to try the Oakridge rubs, everyone around here seems to like them.
I will say that Oakridge has some quality rubs, I especially like the Santa Maria, and the Secret Weapon, I also have some Venison rub of theirs that I will be using soon, kcmike does a great job and you will like his stuff!!

I mostly make my own rubs, but on a regular basis, I buy a rub, just to taste what other people are doing. I also like trying other people's rub recipes.

If you are coking for money, then your rub should be your own, or you should at least give proper credit. But, when you just want good eats for yourself, family and friends, experiment with whatever sounds god, IMO.

CD

Well said. I agree.

I always made my own rubs until I started reading about Simply Marvelous' products. When I read the post about using SM Cherry Rub on popcorn, I knew I had to get me some of that! :-D

I ordered the 5 pack of rubs and I understand the high praise ~ this stuff is flawless! :thumb:

My problem now is what do do with all of the granulated garlic, granulated onion, dry mustard, paprika, .............. :doh:

I always made my own rubs until I started reading about Simply Marvelous' products. When I read the post about using SM Cherry Rub on popcorn, I knew I had to get me some of that! :-D

I ordered the 5 pack of rubs and I understand the high praise ~ this stuff is flawless! :thumb:

My problem now is what do do with all of the granulated garlic, granulated onion, dry mustard, paprika, .............. :doh:

Stocking stuffers for Christmas!.......and then there is Halloween too!

I do enjoy making my own rubs and experimenting with exotic spices here and there, but I also love the smaller commercial guys' stuff. I think when I hear "commercial rub" my brain goes right to massive large batch commercial production, not a getting-well-known rub maker. When you can pick up the phone and talk directly to the guys making the stuff, there's a good thing going to me. I want to hear their story, talk about rubs, ask questions. Just made a purchase yesterday with SM after a nice chat.

I can see how some folks think it is cheaper to buy a commercial rub but that is only if you are buying a few bottles.

If you are talking cost per ounce in the long run you will pay much less by making your own.

no way is it cheeper unless you are buy 99 cent spices i get 5 pounds of plowboy product for $29. i would spend double that making rub.

I have tried many commercial rubs, some of them are very good (Dizzy, Yardbird, Stubbs, etc.) and I like to use them often for their convenience. However, I like my homemade rubs better than ANY of the commercial rubs. I make an all-purpose, a cajun, a beef, and sometimes one with a little more Southwestern flare. The nice thing about homemade is you are the boss, and you decide how it should taste based on what pleases you, your family, and friends. You also have more control over the quality of ingredients.

I guess I've just been in a bubble but I really had not idea commercial rubs were so popular. To me seasoning is a pretty basic part of cooking and have always made my own rubs.

For competition I can see how you would want to go with a known quantity. And I'm defiantly going to try some of the more popular ones at least for a reference point. That being said I can't believe people are slathering butts with grocery store stuff like montreal steak that does not sound very good.

Me and the wife don't eat sugar so that does not leave much in the way of commercial sauces so we little choice but to make our own.

I'm very new to the game -

My wife and I did make Dr. BBQ's big time rub the other day - and used what was left of our ingredients that we bought to make the sweeter rub.....I was "shocked" at some of the costs of the spices that we bought.

That being stated, I have now purchased some rubs (local Dutch Amish store....great products, and generous spice selection), and have made contacts on this site to purchase even more......I agree it would be cost effective using fairly common spices to make your own, but when you're talking about fresh somewhat "exotic" spices, the price can add up in a hurry.

if you buy them, you can spend a certain amount of $$$ and try different ones (in small quantities)

If you make them, you might end up with some high $$$ invested in spices that you rarely use......but you could end up making more quantity

I see both sides of the coin -

B.R.

First off, I was an executive chef for nearly 40 years and I never opened a can of soup to serve to a customer. I make all my sauces and rubs as its cheaper than buying. I buy spice online by the pound. All my sauces are cheaper than commercial stuff and I control the quality. I make 5+ pounds of 4 different kinds of rubs per week and 9 gals of sauce each week. Plus I make 2 quarts of Diablo sauce a week for the people who like it hot, at about 1.25 million scoville units. I spent 6 months developing the rubs and sauces and had alot of the recipes thrown.

Back