Smoke Magnet BBQ Rub

oldgfbbq

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
G-man
Last Fall I halved a pork loin, then seasoned each half with different BBQ rubs, smoked side by side in the smoker, and there was a big difference in overall smokiness/taste. In addition to difference in smoke intensity, the flavor was sweeter too. The only difference was the rub. What rub ingredient(s) might have accounted for the difference in smokiness?

Details – Pork loin half “A” was seasoned with the SPOG rub I have used for over 30 years, latest incarnation includes cumin and paprika in similar amounts as O and G. Pork loin half “B” was rubbed with a commercially produced, gourmet/competition caliber rub.

Cooker – they were smoked with other meats in my SP SRG-400, configured such that only smoke and heat from burning wood was used to cook. The propane/gas assist was programmed to turn On if cooking chamber temperature fell below 145 degrees. IE, the gas assist was not utilized. However, the air circulation fan ran as usual, resulting in pretty consistent temperature throughout the chamber, with virtually no difference across a single middle shelf.

Method – Smoked pork loin halves to IT of 155, cook chamber ranged from 220 – 255 degrees.

Results – Loin “A” tasted as expected, meat flavor forward with rub flavor in the background. A flavor I grew up eating, and my particular wheel house. Loin “B” ended up with the rub and smoke as the star of the show. This was a flavor I have tasted in numerous BBQ restaurants. A very smokey, somewhat sweet taste, that I have not previously created on my own. A flavor that has made me wonder how they achieved such smokiness. The most recent incarnation was from a place that use Cook Shack FEC-300s. I have cooked on an offset smoker most of my life. But this flavor reminds me of drug store cowboys and preferred by many. One of my closest friends said he liked it as much as anything I have fed him in the past 10 years.

While my SPOG based rub is not gourmet, the rub on Loin “B” seemed to have some chemistry going on in addition to difference in spices.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

Wowsers!
I really have nothing to offer.
but DUDE your descripts are to die the fark 4.

Maybe over cooking it by 20* made some sort of difference!
Ed

I would be surprised that such a dramatic difference in smokiness would occur over a narrow range of temperature, but I really don't know for sure, just my gut.

OP, did the new rub have any smoked paprika or chipotle in it?

The ingredient list includes a mix of ground peppers to include paprika, chipotle, ancho, and guajillo. I think I know where you may be going with this. Some smokiness could have come from the ground peppers. Hard to know for sure, but must be considered. I've used smoked paprika in sauces and it definitely shows up. My gut thinks it could not account for a significant contribution to overall smokiness. In order for it to be responsible for most of the smokiness, in my mind there would need to be a combination of peppers that had a synergistic effect on smokiness.

So what was rub B and the ingredients?

I am highly suspect of a rub attracting more smoke.

I would rather not reveal it just yet. This is a really popular rub, but one I have just never used until last fall. I've only used it one time since, and that was for my friend that liked it so much. I still have some left, to be used for pork destined for his house.

Chipotle has a very robust smoke flavor and a very small amount goes a long way. Odds are it was the addition of smoked ingredients in the rub which increased the smoke flavor. If everything else was the same (as you have indicated), then the variable (different rub) would most likely be the culprit. And having that many smoked peppers in a rub will absolutely increase the smoke flavor you taste on the meat.

I would rather not reveal it just yet. This is a really popular rub, but one I have just never used until last fall. I've only used it one time since, and that was for my friend that liked it so much. I still have some left, to be used for pork destined for his house.

Soooo how are we suppose to discuss :roll:

I think an experiment with various smoked peppers may be in order.

As far as ingredients go, sugar, salt, black pepper, ground peppers(chilis), garlic, onion, cumin, celery seed, turmeric, and the most descript "other spices".

I've also considered that I used too much of rub B. Using a "liberal" amount of rub is certainly subjective. But, again, I'm not throwing rocks at rub B, just saying the result was more smoke forward with meat and spice flavors behind it and not something I've created on my own in the past.

There is no real reason to withhold the name of "B", it was Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork rub. I bought a variety of stuff last year to "do my part" in supporting a small business. The first time I used it, the meat tasted radically different. Seems in my case, more was accomplished with his spice rack than I accomplished on the smoker cooking rack. Interesting. Sad to see them go.

Oakridge BBQ Competition Beef and Pork IS a good seasoning, I'm always pleased with its results. Maybe what you're experiencing in the end product is just the result of using a quality seasoning that isn't heavily based on cheap ingredients like salt and granulated sugar.

I'm not sure I've ever applied any sort of seasoning that I thought made the meat "smokier" in and of itself, I still think how the cooker is being run plays the far bigger influence....HOWEVER, I have found that using a seasoning with larger granules, such as coarse / 16 mesh black pepper and granulated not powered onion and garlic makes for a better crust, probably slightly more surface area, and therefore makes an ideal spot for smoke and meat to join together into barkey goodness.

Well there is a lot to learn in that.

Mike Trump, Jedi Master... and no accident that Chipotle, Ancho and Guajillo might certainly make a difference. Personally I think they do and have each of those in stock when I want to blend my own mix. I suppose it's up to us to try and repeat it since we are all gonna run out Oakridge stock at some point.

Chipotle peppers definitely have a "smokey" flavor, but it's different than (but perhaps complimentary to) the smokey flavor I'm looking to achieve from barbecuing something.

Thanks for all of your comments. Suds hit one nail on the head...., that I don't have experience using a top quality rub. It's true. I grew up using SPOG on brisket in Texas, but only in a manner that complimented the beef taste. Pork loin is pretty bland and I can understand why creative rubs would be used. Personally, and for my household, the simple flavor of oak smoke is all that we try to achieve and are expecting. The Oakridge rub was a very nice surprise, but as Suds said, it's complementary and not a substitute for authentic smoke. I've had a similar experience with my BBQ sauce, using maple syrup rather than varieties of sugar. It provides a "woodsey" kind of flavor that cannot be achieved with sugar.

I also cannot eliminate the possibility my taste buds were confused when eating the Oakridge pork. With the expectation of smoked flavor from the cooking, the other stuff may have just reinforced what my tongue was looking for. My margarita mix does a similar Houdini act, in that many who drink my margaritas confuse the harshness of cheap tequila cutting through the light flavored mix with that of a strong drink. Their taste buds are expecting one thing, and the drink delivers something slightly different. It has less alcohol than most wine.

Bottom line, I gotta up my pork game and a quality rub is just the starting point. The "fund of collective knowledge" found here is a benefit that is hard to duplicate or top.

Nobody is going to say it, but this sort of holding back, its not going to get you much help on this forum. I guess i should follow suite, and say Great job, looks good, even though i haven't seen ****.

Nobody is going to say it, but this sort of holding back, its not going to get you much help on this forum. I guess i should follow suite, and say Great job, looks good, even though i haven't seen ****.

I've neither seen nor read any of your **** that was constructive or useful. I was trying to be nice to the recently departed purveyor of rubs. So, I will be blunt for your reading comprehension. Though his rub resulted in a flavor profile that is not my preferred, it was interesting and I learned something about smoke flavor. Though you have responded to numerous posts on this forum, you have not yet actually said something.

Please describe the type, setup, lighting, framing, depth of field, ISO, aperture of photo that best conveys nuance in taste. (this means what kind of photo do you need to evaluate smokiness)

Since you mentioned it, here is a photo of the smoker.

Lastly, I don't need any help or "atta boy" complement. Frankly, one from you would be loathsome. (this means you don't matter to me) I just thought it was an interesting experience and possibly worthy of commentary. (this means I thought others might have something insightful say about it)

Last edited:
I've neither seen nor read any of your **** that was constructive or useful. I was trying to be nice to the recently departed purveyor of rubs. So, I will be blunt for your reading comprehension. Though his rub resulted in a flavor profile that is not my preferred, it was interesting and I learned something about smoke flavor. Though you have responded to numerous posts on this forum, you have not yet actually said something.

Please describe the type, setup, lighting, framing, depth of field, ISO, aperture of photo that best conveys nuance in taste. (this means what kind of photo do you need to evaluate smokiness)

Since you mentioned it, here is a photo of the smoker.

Lastly, I don't need any help or "atta boy" complement. Frankly, one from you would be loathsome. (this means you don't matter to me) I just thought it was an interesting experience and possibly worthy of commentary. (this means I thought others might have something insightful say about it)

And see, that right there^^^^^, all of it, deserves an atta boy. Sorry, couldn't resist.

As for the conundrum that you originally posted: the only change in the variables is the rub, as all other things on that particular cook. Have you tried to duplicate this cook? It would be interesting to see what the results are. Of course I'd want to expand the experiment and try it on brisket ribs and chicken as well.

Thanks,

Robert

Back