Hatch Green Chile- hoarding has begun

Albertson's in Rancho Cucamonga has a roasting tomorrow. Now I have to make freezer space.

I have waited in line for roasting for more than 5 hours in the past years. It will be over 80 by 10 am. It can be a long, hot wait in a blacktop parking lot.

If this year is a first time for any brethren going to a Hatch Chile roasting, there are tips I could give, to preserve your chiles in the optimal condition, if anyone needs it.

Oh yes! Green chile tomatillo sauce is one of my favorite things. Pour that over some pulled pork enchiladas and I am in heaven!

When I got a couple last week, I think they were like 70 something cents a pound raw and 80 something cents a pound if you had them roast them.

Thinking of buying a case of HOT tomorrow.

Anyone have a method for roasting them at home? I picked some up at Albertsons for. 99¢lb today.

Well, foo, I have a great chile verde recipe, or I should say had a great one. Can't find it now. In any event, the key concept was pretty simple.

1. Cut up into small chunks a pork butt. Keep the bone it will come in handy.
2. Chop up an onion and some garlic, sweat them with salt and pepper, don't burn the garlic.
3. Brown the pork parts, include the bone
4. Add in a quartered orange and a halved lime, add in some fire grilled green peppers
5. Add enough water to cover and slow cook for at least two hours, I often do this in an oven at 275°F. It takes a bit, as you want the pork to get nice and tender.
6. Correct for salt and pepper, use a little vinegar to balance adcidity

This dish is greater than the sum of it's parts, it is very simple. We don't thicken it, but, some folks do. Fresh cilantro and green onions are a nice touch when serving it. As are some really chilled fresh radishes and pickled jalapenos

I need to post Dr Trout Bum's chile sauce recipe. I made it awhile back and it's excellent!! If you get the chance, it's really worth the time to make.
Thanks again Trout Bum for sharing. :thumb:

OK, Cowgirl, here's how I do it. This is my general, traditional NM green chile sauce.

First, roast the peppers. You know how to do this and others can google it, so I won't elaborate. Of course, peel the blistered skin off, remove the amount of seeds you want, and then chop. You will need about 2 cups of chopped chile, give or take, depending on your taste. I usually go with a little more, but I've seen similar recipes that only call for 1 cup. I believe more is better - green chile is the star of the show here. Anaheims are the way to go for most folks, due to their availability. I have a freezer full of NuMex Big Jim peppers from Hatch in my freezer. Using poblanos with this recipe would certainly be a sin even greater than spelling MOINK with all lower case letters.

Sautee 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion in oil (or bacon grease) - I use canola
After they are translucent, I press in 2-3 cloves of garlic, reducing the heat a bit (medium/low).

Add 2 Tbsp of flour and mix into a roux. Keep stirring, while adding 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt & white pepper.

stir in 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock and simmer. After about a couple of minutes, slightly increase heat and stir about 1/2 a packet of brown gravy mix. This is largely to thicken the sauce. You may add more or less, depending on how it is thickening...it should end up similar to a brown gravy in thickness.

let it reach the signs of boiling and reduce to low heat and simmer. Add green chile and 1/4 tsp of dried oregano. Stir occasionally until thick and smooth.

I usually double or triple this recipe, but this will make about 3 cups of sauce.

Now, pour this over your fantastic looking rellenos. Eat, close your eyes, and wait for your tongue to jump out of your mouth and slap you in the face because it tasted so good!

Thanks cowgirl for reposting. Should it look something like this??

Last edited:
Anyone have a method for roasting them at home? I picked some up at Albertsons for. 99¢lb today.

-Fire up your grill.
-Put peppers on grill.
-Roast turning every so often until the skin has turned black.
-Take the peppers off and through them in a bowl covered in saran wrap or into a zip lock bag.
-Leave covered for an hour or two so they steam.
-Peal skin and remove seeds
-Enjoy

headed to Colorado to visit friends and family next week. hoping to find a road side vendor and score a bushel to ship home. I have a barrel roaster that I bought off ebay that works just like the big boys. when I break that out, the east coast folks have no idea what I am up to!

Beautiful

I'm out of pocket and wife went to work on making fresh chile verde. Had some smoke pork in the freezer. She's eating well tonight!!

Last edited:
Thanks cowgirl for reposting. Should it look something like this??

Add more chile! I just roughly chop most of mine. If you want the classic green color to the sauce, take 3 or 4 of the roasted and peeled peppers and put them in the food processer give them a couple of shots. That will thicken and green up the sauce.

In the end, mine will usually look a little like this (pictured over a stuffed sopapilla from a restaurant in Santa Fe....not my sauce, but similar)

Green Chile Stew recipe:

Use a pork or beef roast - it doesn't matter. Pork is traditional, but I like the beef flavor a lot too.

If you want the easy way, throw all the ingredients in the crock pot and forget about it for a few hours, but I know that is a sin to some here, so I'll give you the hard way:

Cube your meat (use a small roast or loin). Brown in in some canola oil. Press in 4 or 5 cloves of fresh garlic and sautee. Transfer to a large pot.

Add 2 cans of rotel - normal or spicey, depending on your taste. I like spicey. I'll use normal if my batch of chile is very hot and I'm serving this to some gringos. :wink:

Add about 4 cups of chopped green chile. Add a tsp of mexican oregano, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of white pepper. Add about (this is all off my head and I do it by sight) a cup of stock - beef if that's the roast you went with, pork or vegetable if you went with pork. Add a couple of chopped potatoes. Add 1 packet of brown gravy mix.

Put it all on high heat and bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for several hours. You want it to be a fairly thick/heavy stew. The potatoes should be soft and should help thicken it up, as will the gravy mix. If you need it to be thicker, add a little more gravy mix or a TBS or 2 of flour. I avoid cornstarch because I think it's too easy to taste it, though I'm guessing that's the thickener in the gravy mix.

This may not end up tasting like what you've had.....there are a million variations on this recipe. This is one I love and I'll call it authentic based on growing up in Northern NM.

Big Jim = Mild, Sandia = Hot

True. I like the Big Jim peppers for rellenos - meaty and plenty of room to stuff. I prefer Sandia peppers for making sauces. I'm thinking of growing my own (some of each) next year.

Back