• Smothered Restaurant-Style Fire Roasted Chile Verde Burrito

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Chile Verde is a belly warming Mexican style pork stew made from various green chiles and spices. This is a recipe that has evolved over the years for us – we used to use chicken broth as many traditional recipes call for it, but the taste of chicken and pork don’t work as well as pork by itself. Beer became the preferred substitute. We also didn’t use tomatillos until recently – but they are a keeper and add a wonderful, bright flavor that enhances the taste of the chiles.

Here’s how the latest version went down – though unfortunately, I didn't snap any pics of the prep and cook - it was too cold and I was working during the day:

Shortly after the crack of dawn yesterday, a pork butt was trimmed, and sliced into small cubes. Poblano, Anaheim, and jalapenos were fire roasted on the Weber kettle while it was 15 degrees outside. It was done quickly and efficiently so I could get back in the house and defrost. 8 small-ish tomatillos were placed into a foil lined pan, and went under the broiler. Peppers sweated in a paper bag for a while, then de skinned, and seeds removed, but many blackened bits remained. Tomatillos and peppers, and 4 large garlic cloves went into the blender to transform into a green, magical liquid.

Pork cubes were browned in a cast iron skillet, then the tomatillo/chile/garlic liquid went into a large clay pot, along with the pork. A bottle of beer was poured into the pot, along with some cumin, a couple bay leaves, coriander, and sea salt. Finally, about 5 chile de arbols for a bit of heat. The clay pot was covered, and cooked in a 275 degree oven, stirred every 20 minutes or so. As the time passed, the liquid began to thicken a bit, the peppers were hot at first, as they usually are, but time usually mellows them. And it did.

Six or so hours later, after numerous small spoonfuls to monitor taste along the way, it was done – the meat was tender, yet intact. Sauce was rich and flavorful. It was good – better than good, actually. There was just a bit of heat, but it was secondary to all the complex favors going on.

A serving plan was hatched - initially the stew would be served with beans and tortillas, but a better idea emerged – a smothered style burrito on a plate topped with cheese, also known as a burrito mojado. The burrito was simple – just a generous helping of chile verde, with some refried beans. It was then rolled up and folded, smothered with more chile verde, and some Oaxaca cheese, perfect for melting. Under the broiler it went, and two finishing touches were added after that – a bead of spicy homemade salsa roja was run over the top of the burrito, and cilantro garnish.

iSywRCN.jpg

ubDisWj.jpg

It was deeply satisfying, especially on a cold night.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks and sounds incredible. I stumbled upon some butts on sale last night and I think you just sealed the fate for one of them! How many of each of the peppers do you typically use for a batch?

Wow, that looks and sounds incredible. I stumbled upon some butts on sale last night and I think you just sealed the fate for one of them! How many of each of the peppers do you typically use for a batch?

Two of each - though technically you can skip the jalapeno. I'll try and get the whole recipe written out for you ASAP!

Dom said it best with the Rick Bayless comment.

Work. Of. Art.

This almost preemptively puts my Sunday birria to shame.

That looks absolutely amazing! I would dive in on a cold night or any night.

Back