Hatch Chiles, tell me about them.

Heinan's usually has them. The Glenview location is sort of close to work. They're have chili roasting next weekend, not that I'd get them roasted. Waiting to hear when the Barrington location will have them. I'll probably get some from one of those two locations.

Meijers in Geneva had them last year, too. If you see them ay Heinen's let me know!

Edit: Looks like Sept. 11-13 for roasting in Barrington...

http://www.heinens.com/hatch/

I grew up in the Phoenix area and every year me a and a few friends would drive out to Las Cruces NM to buy Hatch Chilies and fire works for New Years. I would drive my Buick Century and stuff the trunk full of gunny sacks full of chilies. About two hours into the trip home we would have to roll the windows down because the chilies would heat up and start choking us out.

Ah yeah, good times.

Just bought a pound of already roasted, hot hatch green chiles at my local grocery store for $1.69. Sliced one up and put it on my ham sandwich for lunch. It was good.

Here is also a good enchilada sauce recipe...it's fairly close to the one I've posted before, though they add a green chile powder to theirs.

Pour this over your enchiladas, but it's good on eggs/omelets, smothered burritos...anything!

I make it at Thanksgiving. For my first plate, I go traditional with gravy over my turkey and potatoes. For the next plate, I substitute this for the gravy.

https://sites.google.com/site/chimayochile/the-brothers-recipes/green-chili-sauce

Also, that sauce is great over chile rellenos. There are several varieties of Hatch chile, and one of the most popular are the NuMex Big Jim pods. These are usually fairly big, meaty peppers and are perfect for rellenos.

Make a slice at the top of the pod and dig out the seeds. Carefully stuff the pepper with some cheddar cheese (I just slice logs of it and stick in through the slit I created). Roll them in flour and set aside.

Separate about 4 eggs (save the yolks) and whip the egg whites until the are pretty stiff. Add a little flour to help them firm up. Beat the egg yolks and gently fold them in to the egg whites.

Coat the peppers in this mixture and fry them in canola or peanut oil (about 375). I usually start with the slit up and spoon a little of the egg mixture over it in the pan, then spoon a little oil over that before turning the pepper.

After they are a good golden color all around, drain on paper towel.

Serve with the green chile enchilada sauce referenced in the thread above....you will be glad you did!

This may be a silly question, but what are the logistics of these chile roasts? Do you buy them fresh and they roast them while you wait? If so, aren't they kind of hot and messy to bag up and bring home? Do they charge you for roasting or does it cost more for roasted than fresh peppers?

There is an event next week at Wegmans and I want to know what to expect. If the price is reasonable enough I may buy enough to share with friends. In that case I would probably want them to roast at least some of them for me. I'll have a long-ish drive home so I am thinking bringing a cooler to seal them in might be a good idea.

This may be a silly question, but what are the logistics of these chile roasts? Do you buy them fresh and they roast them while you wait? If so, aren't they kind of hot and messy to bag up and bring home? Do they charge you for roasting or does it cost more for roasted than fresh peppers? .

Here's my experience, YMMV...

Wait in line to pay for product.
The price may or may not include a roasting fee. I chose to have mine roasted.
Wait in line for your product to be roasted. It smells good.
Your number gets called & you are presented with a black plastic yard bag full of chile. Tip the guy.
My trip home is 5 minutes, I let the chiles rest in the bag until they are cool enough to handle with food service vinyl gloves. This is 30 - 45 minutes. This time helps the flesh loosen from the skin.
Don your gloves, peel, destem & deseed the chiles. I load 1 pound into a vacuum bag, seal & label, freeze. Plastic freezer bags work as well.
You can bag and freeze without cleaning the chile, that just postpones the prep work for later. Chile gets hotter in the freezer, the oil concentrates. The oil resides in the veins.
Be very careful, don't touch your eyes, nose, or other sensitive parts until you've washed and waited. The oil will burn...:mad2:

Anyone ever make ABTs out of Hatch Green Chiles?

Yes.......

A local grocery chain made an import deal with a farm on the faraway continent of New Mexico
& got a limited engagement batch of Hatch chiles...
So i figger why not load em up with good stuff & smoke em
Sausage & string cheese for some...

LastSunAug2012033.jpg

Sausage & cream cheese for others.....
Long as I'm smearin' cream cheese around, worked on my cr Cheese troweling technique...

LastSunAug2012040.jpg

Pastrami & Swiss fattys...

LastSunAug2012045.jpg

LastSunAug2012071.jpg

LastSunAug2012083.jpg

LastSunAug2012086.jpg

I did these fresh & in a few places, the skin was a little papery.....since, I've roasted & peeled, then wrapped up.....:-D

My Turn here is what a little over 4lbs looks like for those who dont know what to expect . They Just arrived at my source here in Phoenix.

here's my take

a colorado boy on the east coast who misses the annual chili roasting.

soooooo

grow some anaheims and roast them myself! have been doing this for the past 6 years and while the consistency of the chili heat isn't like back home, at least i have roasted chili's.

and went to a local farmers market and grabbed 10# of fresh poblanos for $10!

hatch meets new england!

Attachments

• 11892122_10208109654487916_8745477088823617105_n.jpg
    11892122_10208109654487916_8745477088823617105_n.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 11891242_10208109799931552_8231973315338099086_n.jpg
    11891242_10208109799931552_8231973315338099086_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 22
Back